Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

Does love really conquer all? James, 41, quit his job and left his wife and three children to pursue a relationship with his 18-year-old former student, Jordan. The couple says they're not breaking any laws, want to set the record straight with Dr. Phil, and want Jordan's mother, Tammie, to stop her Facebook "smear campaign" against them. In a national exclusive, Tammie confronts James for the first time on Dr. Phil’s stage. Find out how the attraction began and why Tammie says James is lying. Were there secret meetings before Jordan turned 18? And, what does Jordan stand to lose? Parents, how would you react if your child started a relationship with his or her former teacher?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: corpsman2326 on Jun 5, 2013, 9:53PM - In reply to prathon
I agree in whole with what you said, however you have to also look at the POSITION he held.   If he was a 41 year old teacher and she was an 17 year old waiting to turn 18 to go into the national guard.  He is still a pervert.  The man was a TEACHER.  I believe you are missing the poing.  He is a public servant held in great regard by parents who entrust him with his position to teach their children, teens, adolescents subject material that will benefit them the rest of their lives.  I served eight years in TWO brances of the service.  I was 17 when i entered the Delayed entry program and had to wait until i was 18 to leave.  I was young, but cocky. young...and I was married at the age of 18. So how is it different....i can tell you...if a 41 year old Drill instructor tried to make it with a 18 year old Recruit.  We would STILL think he was a pervert.....we would have lost respect.  Sure, we all made comments and whistled and hooped and hollered ....but an age difference like that ...coupled with the fact he was her TEACHER is sickening.

Replied By: marietjie on Dec 7, 2012, 2:48AM - In reply to prathon
Quite so!

I must say, when I watched the programme, I thought about my great-grandmother, who married my great-grandfather when he was 28 and she was 14. But that was in the nineteenth century...

Replied By: prathon on Sep 3, 2012, 12:54PM
Just watched with great interest your show featuring James Hooker 41 former high school teacher and Jordan Powers 18 student. We understand and support the Mothers concerns with her daughter being only 18 in a relationship with an older married teacher. We have adult children ourselves. What we didn't fully understand was why this young lady, who at 18 is considered an adult here in Ireland was repeatedly referred to as a child by both Dr Phil and her mother. Yet when it comes to times of war and terrorism we can send our young people off at 18 to fight for our country. No young person in either the Naval, Army or Air forces would be considered or treated as a child because they were only 18. We fully support and admire all the military services and actions that are taken worldwide to protect and provide us with our freedom and liberty. We don't understand how in one situation an 18 year old is considered a child while in another situation an 18 year old is given an adult status as in military service for example?

Replied By: schouwstra on Aug 16, 2012, 10:18PM - In reply to cindywood
PLEASE DO!!

Replied By: leah_v on Aug 12, 2012, 1:34PM - In reply to alphak555
She left him and he got arrested because he has done this before!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126366/Jordan-Powers-18-leaves-teacher-James-Hooker-41-student-sexual-abuse-claims.html

Replied By: alphak555 on Jul 3, 2012, 11:59PM
This man, if you can call him that, iS disgusting! Jordan should be told that he knows exactly what to say to her to make her feel wanted and beautiful because he is a manipulator! Anyone who has a relationship with someonewhere their is a fiduciary relationship consisting of authority should be ashamed of themselves! He should go to jail or get mental health help be ause he is sick!  I support the mother completely and feel really sorry for her! Mr hooker needs to be jailed!

Replied By: cindywood on Apr 26, 2012, 9:54PM
Dr Phil,

Please have this girl back on the show with her mom. I want to see what she has to say now that they are not together. Can't wait!

Replied By: strikeoff81 on Apr 10, 2012, 6:27PM - In reply to alananaz
I was so glad to hear about this preditors' arrest! This Mom show amazing restraint and took clear headed action against him. This particular show made me sick. It was obvious that this young girl was in desparate need of a father figure and I believe James took advantage of that for his own personal perversion.I also feel extremely sorry for his wife and children. There isn' t a punishment severe enough to deal with this psycho.

Replied By: victimofabuse on Apr 10, 2012, 5:33AM
So many comments are talking about the age difference and how so many people have had relationships with age gaps...WAKE UP PEOPLE that is not really a key factor. She was/is GROOMED and it is a POWER DIFFERENTIAL...IT IS MOST DEFINITLY ABUSE! It did start when she was a CHILD and she was/is being BRAINWASHED and MANIPULATED. Her emotional age is much younger due to the abuse. Even therapists who counsel people close to their age are not allowed to date their clients because of the power differential. It just makes it worse that she is really a child. Abusers love to make their victims as emotionally child like as possible to fit their needs. The grooming process serves as a sexual high for these predators at first. He has stolen her adolescence. It is easier for society to wrap their minds around abuse that is violent, but the best abusers use coercion and make the victim seem like a participant and in the process groom society. They are master manipulators, which is how they get away with it and rack up so many victims. They are often seen as nice people. Because of this and other factors it makes it so the victim does not believe they are a victim and often will deal with self blame/shame and confusion about the abuse for years. It is all part of the abuser's plan...that is how they keep the victim from talking. It is a betrayal bond. There are major psychological injuries that can come from this including PTSD (C-PTSD). Believe me, I know all about this. I relive my painful past every day.

Replied By: julesaw on Apr 9, 2012, 2:26PM
I'm so happy that this man is in jail.  I pray he remains there so that our children are safe.  This former teacher was nothing more than a pedophile and he didn't stand a chance when it came to reasoning with an adult.  How easy it is to manipulate a child, apparently, he had skeletons in his closet that were rattling to get out!  Thank God for the courageous victim to speak out and realize that they have the power to do something about it.  I hope the former victim has the strength to deal with him, and his current victim, get real about the situation she found herself in, and be honest about the whole story.  What goes around comes around, and that's just the way it should be.

Showing 1-10 of total 595 Comments