Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/29/12) Dr. Phil's guests say they’re tired of enduring abuse from their grown children. First, Debbie says her 31-year-old daughter, Amy, is verbally and physically abusive toward her, steals from her and has even threatened to burn her house down. Amy, who lives in Debbie's home with her two children, admits she can be cruel to her mom but says Debbie is mean and critical and makes her feel like a failure. When tempers get hot, see who storms offstage! Can Dr. Phil help this mom and daughter broker a peace? Then, JoAnn says her son, Jonathan, a former corrections officer, treats her like an inmate, intimidates her with his size and scares her with his rage. She says he uses her grandson as a pawn to be spiteful toward her and worries the boy may get hurt in the crossfire. Jonathan admits he struggles with his anger, but blames his mother for constantly pushing his buttons. He says she needs to back off and let him parent his own son. Can Dr. Phil help them find common ground? Is your relationship with your adult child growing contentious? Tune in for tips on how to communicate more effectively.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: acadiabonita on Aug 3, 2013, 6:37AM - In reply to wldraven99
I just sent you an invote to our FB support group for daughter's of narcissistic mothers.  And then I saw your update.  We are all genuinely happy for you!!  We all get it.  And we all wanted to jump through the TV and hug you that day.  You are a hero to so many.  Thank you!!

Replied By: venicementor on Jun 25, 2012, 8:40PM
I can't believe that these adult children, infants - in my book, are living at home and then their mother's "allowed" their behavior.  Amy is a brat - walking off the set likes she probably walks out of every confontation in her life. If that doesn't work, just take drugs. She got two kids - what is wrong with her!? Yes, plenty, I'm sure.

Jonathan and Amy, cut from the same clothe - move out Amy and you Jonathan - grow up and change your attitude and your anger.  You are both adults - although it is debatable - spoiled infant terible, is more like it.

The mother's need to grow a pair each and throw the bums out. The are all whiners. The gene pool needs to be thinned and they should stop having children - too much compititions for them, obviously.  Personally, the four deserve each other.

Replied By: persnippity on Jun 23, 2012, 1:06AM
Just had to get myself off the bed to come to the message boards to see if I'm the only one who heard that! I would have thought Dr. Phil would have been all over that remark. Well, I hope someone in the system takes some immediate action. The fact that he could/would say such a thing on national tv shows he thinks there's nothing wrong with beating someone he has power over. This guy has some serious problems. Someone please help!!!

Replied By: penpusher on Jun 22, 2012, 9:56PM
I think that most of the time if you raise your child with God in the picture from the start and show them love and affection and praise they will grow up to love and respect you. however there are some kids who are just selfish and lazy and Amy is one of those.  She has a smart mouth and a horrible attitude towards her mom who is guilty of helping her too much. 

Replied By: penpusher on Jun 22, 2012, 9:50PM
This girl wants to pretend to be an adult when she is so childish. At the end she proved that by walking out throwing her kleenex on the floor.  I think she wanted Dr. Phil to go after her and give her the attention she wanted when coming on the show.  her mother may not have done everything right as in allowing Amy to move in with her but she obviously loves her and the kids or she would have kicked her out on her butt long ago. Amy is rude and selfish and an immature b..tch!   One day she will get hers when her own kids hate her for not taking care of them as she should be now.   I believe her mother wants things to change but Amy just wanted everyone to take her side.  it aint happening Amy!!!

Replied By: jfparham1 on Jun 22, 2012, 7:30PM - In reply to jfparham1
My heart went out to Amy's mom more than anyone else on the show because dispite the fact that she is an enabler I feel she really cares the problem is that she cares to much to the point of crippling and stunting her daughtersn growth with too much love, not enough tough love and too much financial support.

Replied By: jfparham1 on Jun 22, 2012, 7:25PM
One thing that really bothered me about the corrections officer and his mom was something the corrections officer said.  He said about his mom......

"she thinks I'm gonna BEAT her like I BEAT the inmates/prisoners" 

That statement was very scary and I think they need to investigate this corrections officers practices because what comes out of a persons mouth usually says it all.     That being said I see how the mother can be scared however I think the mom is extremely childish and it seems like the son has had to step up and be the adult but he may be taking home some of his prison/corrections inmate handling tactics to use during conflict resolution at home and that does not work.  But again I think the mom is being extremely childish and she's definately a drama queen.  

Replied By: pizeta on Jun 22, 2012, 7:24PM
After listening to both mothers on the show (for a few minutes) I was ready to muzzle them both with a healthy scarf, just for a breather.   Neither of them could be accused of having a lot of ha ha's.  How much fun do they think they are to live with.  Obviously they each have something broken. 

The only way to survive them, as their offspring, would be to get as far away as possible.  That should be a priority for both kids.  The only way people change is if they are in pain.  I would be the farm there is not enough pain on the planet to encourage these two lovelies to change.  Yes the kids can learn to bite their lips, but eventually they will become lipless - then what?  Mom is broken, move on.

Replied By: jfparham1 on Jun 22, 2012, 7:16PM
In short I think Anm is a lying drama queen, a woman-child and a drug addict and the mother is an enabler but If I had to choose i would be on the mothers side.  She's getting played by this drama queen who still thinks she's a teenager.  The mother needs to apply a lot of tough love and kick this liar out of the house and make her stand on her own two feet, kids or no kids.

Replied By: micheldca on Jun 22, 2012, 5:47PM
Two comments:  On the first interview this woman of 31 years old really needs to grow up and move out.  Her reaction was that of a 16 year old girl.  She is still mentally childish.  However, I can relate to her about her mother's abuse and anger.  My own mother would routinely get so angry she didn't remember she would black out and become violent.  And even now she is difficult to talk and worse as she gets older.  She has a hair triggered temper.  Needless to say I don't have any contact with my parents. 

On the second interview, the woman seems a little too preoccupied with her son's looks and his girlfriends!  A little strange coming from a mother.  Clearly she doesn't have any thing going on in her life.  Again though here is another young man who clearly should be living on his own.

Showing 1-10 of total 77 Comments