Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/21/12) Sarah is a pretty, intelligent, successful woman with everything going for her -- so why won't she leave her abusive boyfriend, Robert? She says he punches her, chokes her, spits in her face, and has even threatened to kill her -- and she's afraid for her life. Sarah has moved out of their apartment but has not given up hope on Robert, and despite his tirades, believes he can be rehabilitated. But is she in over her head? Hear Dr. Phil's caution for Sarah. Meanwhile, Robert blames Sarah for provoking his outbursts -- but does a history of violence tell a different story? Robert’s ex-wife calls in with a strong message for Sarah. Plus, Robert’s sister shares what she believes may be at the root of his anger. If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, don't miss Dr. Phil's exit action plan for safely leaving an abusive partner. Can he help Sarah find her way out? Warning: This show contains strong language and disturbing content. Viewer discretion is advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: prehospnurse on Jan 30, 2013, 9:03AM
I would like to know what the examination the DP made available for this man revealed, acctually in several shows were an offer like that is made it would be interessting to know what the findings suggest. The reason Im commenting on this after such a long time is that I live in Sweden and I belive the shows are being aired roughly 6 months after the show was aired in the states. Have a great day

Daniel

Replied By: kelsig on Sep 22, 2012, 2:29PM
It broke my heart to see Mr.Blake hurting so much. Ihope his family reaches out to him. Regardless of hi past/history and accusations about him, he does not deserve to face this world alone. Know one does. I enjoyed hearing his storY.I also am in theprocess of buying his book to read and understand more of him and his story!

Replied By: crystaltwo on Jul 25, 2012, 9:55PM - In reply to jesserose12
Twelve years ago we had this happen in our happy family. Our daughter met a person (with a little man syndrome) and he was very controlling. It was her first boyfriend (she was 26 years old). She always had an extremely close relationship with her family and this person brainwashed her.  While they were courting, we did everything we could to make him welcome in our home, because of the love we had for our daughter. Her dream was to be married and have children and of course have a fairytale wedding.  We were prepared to give her this beautiful wedding - allowed them to arrange the venue and after we put the deposit down he brainwashed her into having the wedding he wanted.  She had no say, she just went along with it. We lost the deposit, which was nothing compared to the heartbreak our family went through. We gave them a beautiful big engagement party (because she was our only daughter) and told them they could also have a large wedding, which I know our daughter wanted.  One day he took her away, while we were at work and took all her clothes, no letter, nothing.  He had the wedding he wanted (which was more or less an afternoon tea in his church hall). He isolated her from all her friends and family, so there would be no outside interference, so he could have this power over her. No family members were at her wedding, everyone was just so disgusted that she could go along with his plans.  When this first happened we needed psychological counselling (our son included, because they were also very close).  I read up on everything I could possibly find to see how this could happen to such a close knit family. One day I came across the information about Stockholm Syndrome and the penny dropped.  I have done what they suggest and send her a birthday gift each year and tell her we love her and also the same at Christmas. We don't include him in our 'contact' at all.  We are not able to speak with her because she does not answer the phone.  She would have no email and she no longer has her mobile phone.  We went down to her house about an hour from our home to see her and he called the police to have us removed.  We could not even get passed the door.  She just sat behind the door and asked us very quietly and respectfully to go because the police were coming.  We waited for the police to explain our side of the story and we asked them to speak with her and her husband separately, which they did.  The police came out after talking with them and refused to take any action against us because as they told our daughter and husband, we came down there is peace (we even had flowers for her).  The police told us that our daughter was trembling and told us she was such a lovely girl and they could see where the problem was and it was all with him. I wish that Dr Phil would have a show all about the Stockholm Sydrome because it would help so many people. It has made me understand that it is not our fault and we just continue to let our daughter know each year, how much she is loved.  That way she will know we are here for her if needed. We had the perfect daughter, never in her life did she give us any problems - she always lived a good and decent life and I am hoping that one day she will realise what this person has done to her life and also ours. Would love any comments....

Replied By: broadybabe on Jul 24, 2012, 4:23PM
I was in a similar position to Sarah, but thankfully 4 years ago I saw the light and I left. It took me 4 years to get the courage to leave though. I know what it is like to try and validate the abusers behaviour, but no matter what, you can't. Robert has a history of violence, he has done court ordered anger management yet still uses Sarah as a physical and verbal punching bag. I hope Sarah sees that Robert WILL NOT change. The best thing she can do is pack her bags, move house (to an address that he does not know! He has already broken into her home and attacked her) and change all her numbers. Hell, even delete all social network profiles. Get away from him!!! Unfortunately, him being branded on INTERNATIONAL tv as an abusive man will only inflamme his already unstable temper. If she is ever left alone with him again I do believe he can and will seriously harm her, if not kill her.

Replied By: tnttrina on Jul 7, 2012, 2:09PM - In reply to lorirn58
I personally don't understand how a person can love someone who's abusing them.  And don't know why anyone would want sex with their abuser.  I say run away from them, as fast as you can.  It's called self preservation.

Replied By: kaetoguchi on Jul 2, 2012, 11:28PM
Dr. Phil i think she should let go of him. Because it will end up doing becoming a chaos to her and she shouldn't just be fed up to it. And he needs to go to rehabilitation because i just want to say that if i end up liked her i would be back in rehab and doing all the mistakes i did. She shouldn't do things his way and say" Oh,it's okay i can deal with it". Because, you cannot do it than don' t tell your self to do it. Your going to hurt yourself and your family. Think about things what would happen if you have an abusive relationship.

Sincerely,

Ms. Kae Toguchi

Replied By: readytolearn12 on Jul 1, 2012, 6:12PM - In reply to hamlet1957
Not always easy to do-they stalk you and sometimes we think they will change which doesn't seem to happen quite enough. But it is better to leave after having it happen to me cause it is harder to abuse someone who is around people and safer that way. That is what I tell people that go through this. Also, they sometimes feel they can't affort to survive especially when there are children...

Replied By: readytolearn12 on Jul 1, 2012, 6:10PM
Having been abused both mentally and physically I never judge a women who has been in any abusive situation. It is sometimes hard to leave because even when you do they stalk you. It takes a long time for a person to change their abuse-sometimes even with help doesn't help. You leave you go back you leave you go back - and it gets worse. If it gets better that is super but if not please don't stay. It is worse when you are there because he can just roll over and the mean side of this person comes out the uncontrollable-rages person comes out.   The first time it happen please leave and stay away...... sorry is just a word and easy to say however getting help and sticking to it is harder and in my twice being abused is the hardest  part. The 2nd time around he waited for 9 years before it started.  

Replied By: upfureys on Jun 29, 2012, 7:42AM
Choke/choking is what can happen to you when you are eating....the word is strangulation everyone, including Dr. Phil!

Replied By: hamlet1957 on Jun 28, 2012, 7:23PM
any women in their right mind will leave asap when they are being abused. why would anyone stay with him?...... do you like being used as a punching bag??.  he needs counseling to control his temper he has no right to hit anyone.. he should be in jail for what he put her through

Showing 1-10 of total 358 Comments