Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

When Dr. Phil last left Alexandra, he said he wouldn’t speak to her unless she checked herself into a rehab facility for treatment for her addiction to prescription medications. It’s now six months later, and after desperately and repeatedly calling her mother for money, Alexandra finally relents and agrees to go to Origins Recovery Center to "check it out." Alexandra’s mom, Erin, documents the journey to rehab in Texas, and when she arrives, Alexandra has second thoughts. She finally agrees to stay the night, and from there Dr. Phil learns from Origins staff that it's touch-and-go. All are on edge, worried that Alexandra may leave treatment, and in a dark moment, Erin even questions Dr. Phil's motives -- and sister Katherine questions Alexandra's. As "Family Week" approaches at Origins, Erin is eager to see if the treatment is successful and meanwhile, Alexandra’s father, Marty, appears to be a no-show.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jhilmes on Feb 3, 2012, 10:15AM
I think Alexandra is the daughter Dr Phil never had. We should never give up on our kids.

Replied By: canadianna on Feb 3, 2012, 10:00AM
The quantity of some of the meanspirited, shallow comments here has to be seen to be believed.

This family became "the Dr. Phil family" all those years ago. Not my family. Not your family. Not your neighbour who would like Dr. Phil's help's family, not your cousin's family who deserve help-so-much-more-than-you-think-this-family-does - or  anyone else. This family.

Armchair quarterbacking is so easy, isn't it?  Without all the details behind what anyone does or says, condemn them all for their "dysfunction" and stomp around here saying you've had enough of them all etc. etc. etc. -  based on a précis of their lives as you have been permitted to view through a very small window.

Watching yesterday's show, did nobody else see the love in Erin's eyes for her daughter? How far has she come to find the strength to leave her in the care of those who can help?

I learned a lot to see the result of the hard work Erin has done on herself , to know when to keep quiet, when to speak - and (probably most importantly) what NOT to say even if you feel you're bursting to say it. Did nobody else think about that as it applies to our own lives and many different situations? Perhaps you know it all. I sure don't.

I like Dr. Phil's comment which I think sums up a lot: it's important to acknowledge what's happened - with the focus firmly in place of the direction that's being taken now. Is it so hard to wish them well?

Replied By: gmapriscilla on Feb 3, 2012, 9:34AM
While I am happy for Erin and her family and the help they have gotten from the Dr. Phil show, I know there are a lot of people in the same boat but they do not have a paddle!  I have been caring for my 3 young grandchildren because their mom left almost 2 years ago, sees them very little, and my son (their father) is a drug addict.  My son needs help too. I am envious of Erin because she has connections and could get it for Alex when she was ready.   I love my grandkids and will always be here for them but I am physically and emotionally drained because of the situation.

Replied By: lily1931 on Feb 3, 2012, 8:58AM
Having watched the "Dr. Phil Family" since the very beginning and followed them all along, an important lesson for me to learn was "never give up".  I SO admire Dr. Phil for having stuck with this family even though he received a lot of flack for doing so.

I do admit that quite a few shows had me feeling like he should 'forget about it' and move on, but he stuck to his faith and it's showing the results, IMHO.

When Dr. Phil was talking to Erin about being a better grandparent than parent, she listened as did I.  Aren't a lot of us better grandparents than parents? 

I'm glad that Alexandra stayed in Rehab and am looking forward to the next show!

I wish them all the best in their healing!

Replied By: jackrabbit0702 on Feb 3, 2012, 8:34AM
I am so sick of hearing from this extremely dysfunctional family. There are so many other people who need and actually WANT Dr. Phil's help, these people do not. They want the attention, they do not want the help. MOVE ON ALREADY!!!

Replied By: chilly22 on Feb 3, 2012, 8:30AM
Dr. Phil as you know, not all people can or want to be helped. You had set specific requirements with very clear boundaries, in order to remain for the family to remain in tx with you. They have been unable or unwilling to comply with tx recommendations. I am sick of this tribe..& their unending drama. 

Replied By: readandreply on Feb 3, 2012, 7:16AM - In reply to judydinsc
just kidding. 

i think it is absolutely ridiculous that the plastic surgery was even introduced into this whole family drama. 

it is the most superficial fix and did nothing apparently to fix the relationships or problems with this family - except make them and the audience focus on the inappropriateness of it all. 

Replied By: gmapriscilla on Feb 3, 2012, 7:15AM
I am glad Dr. Phil has helped this family so much but in truth there are many others out here raising grandchildren without this kind of publicity. "Our"  kids' mom left almost 2 years ago and has little contact with the kids. My son is a drug addict who needs help NOW but we don't have that kind of connection. I love my son and I love his children but I am getting overwhelmed at times with the physical and emotional side of this all.  I must admit that I envy the applause and help Erin has gotten from the show.  

Replied By: readandreply on Feb 3, 2012, 7:14AM - In reply to patsyu
i had to say that the title of your post, the spot on prediction - not saying that she can't change - but, the initial reasons for her wanting to change need to be more than just wanting to be back home doing what she wants, as she herself stated - she mentioned NOTHING about her own children, etc. - to me that is a big red flag for the long run. 

however, just had to say, thank you for the laugh.

Replied By: judydinsc on Feb 3, 2012, 6:50AM - In reply to eternity_55
Gimme a break.  Dr Phil already provided cosmetic surgery for her once.  Is he supposed to be Dr. Fix Everything?

Showing 31-40 of total 215 Comments