Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/26/12) Twenty-year-old Mercedes was a vibrant, beautiful girl with aspirations of becoming a professional figure skater. But at a frail 79 pounds, those dreams are on hold as she battles anorexia and bulimia. Mercedes admits she restricts her eating to just 500 calories a day, oftentimes smokes marijuana to build up an appetite and drinks a six pack of beer -- which she usually purges -- to feel full. See the toll the eating disorders are taking on her body when Dr. Phil cameras visit her home for an interview. Mercedes’ mother, Patti, says she’s exhausted from dealing with her daughter’s illness and the manipulative behavior that goes with it. Has she given up hope? Learn why Mercedes says she blames her mother for her conditions, and why, despite the urging of doctors and threat of death, she is most petrified of recovery. Will she grab onto the lifeline Dr. Phil offers her? Then, former sitcom star Tracey Gold talks candidly about her battle with anorexia and how she overcame it. Hear her message of hope to other women struggling with the disease. Plus, one year ago, Jennifer sat on Dr. Phil’s stage weighing a mere 78 pounds. Don’t miss her amazing update!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: melissa823 on Jan 26, 2012, 1:03PM
I'm really sad that it would be suggested that any form of an eating disorder would be described as a choice. As a woman who fought an eating disorder from early middle school years through post-college and who still considers herself in recovery, I can attest this is never ever a choice. It is painful, it is emotional, and it nearly killed me. 

I applaud Mercedes for accepting help and, though many may argue with her tactics, I want to give credit to her mother for continuing to stand by her daughter. Emotional support is crucial in recovery from an eating disorder and I wish both of them nothing but the best.

Replied By: sxyleggss337 on Jan 26, 2012, 1:03PM - In reply to gsleader1332
I don't think you truely understand what an eating disorder is. You compare it to things such as cancer which is a terrible disease. Any kind of eating disorder is a mental illness not a physical one. Unfortunitelly anyone with this type of disorder really believes that this is the only thing they have control over. Before you judge anyone on what kind of disease or disorder they have you should at least read up on what actually causes the problem, before you judge.

Replied By: springmoon2007 on Jan 26, 2012, 12:52PM - In reply to gsleader1332
A teacher's job is to get a child educated, not raised, Raising and building a character is the parents jobs, but they are too busy been busy, so they blame the schools because teenagers are disfunctional.

Replied By: barbspeaks on Jan 26, 2012, 12:46PM - In reply to mamawolf
And just maybe the woman was doing the best she could and THOUGHT it was the right thing. 20/20 in hindsight is perfect. Living daily is tough!

Replied By: barbspeaks on Jan 26, 2012, 12:45PM - In reply to springmoon2007
thumbs up my friend!

Replied By: gsleader1332 on Jan 26, 2012, 12:44PM
sitting here watching the show about girls with eating disorders and thinking about what the schools around here are doing to help this disease spread. Health class the kids are weighed and given their BMI, they are then told if their BMI is too high that they are over weight and need to diet. Wondering when it became the job of the school system to be doctors. i always thought that the schools were to teach our children, help to build their self esteem not to knock them down. Just don't understand what this world is coming to.

Replied By: springmoon2007 on Jan 26, 2012, 12:35PM
All eating disorders are not illness, those are ways of atracting attention, one way or another, cancer is illness, leuchemia illness, eating disorders are creating and used by weak people weak character, needy people, so lets not confuse real illness such cancer and others with "craving for attention" behavior.  and Ibelieve you know what yo are doing, sorry Dr Phil this is not disease, this is like drugs which you go for it, you bring over to yourself, lets feel empaty and sorry for real sick people.

Replied By: ilana1423 on Jan 26, 2012, 12:33PM
Well for anyone saying that Mercedes's mom was wrong for kicking her out of the house was 100% correct. I am not saying that what Mercedes was doing was correct, b/c it was not. Eating disorders ruin a whole family. But come on if someone tells you to kick your child out you need to get a second opion. What she should have done was to put her into treatment, and if she needs to get a lawyers and commit her to a treatment program. Mercerdes is too sick to go to a residential facility, what she needs in an In-Patient program. She is very sick. I know, I have anorexia and bulimia too. But thank G-d I don't suffer from drinking and drugs as well.

Replied By: mamawolf on Jan 26, 2012, 12:30PM
glad this young lady is getting help. but when childrens aid said to kick her out of the home for her sickness has no clue what so ever they have no idea how to help familys what so ever.how i know about childrens aid is becouse i dealt with them years ago and they know nothing about how to help

Replied By: greenbergstacy on Jan 26, 2012, 12:21PM
Never commented on a show before.  Dr. Phils comment of anerexia being a disease of choice was very offensive.  My mother had Anerexia and lived with it for over 40 years until it took her life.  Like any other terminal disease, it is a disease requiring treatment and in no way a choice.

Showing 61-70 of total 88 Comments