Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/26/12) Twenty-year-old Mercedes was a vibrant, beautiful girl with aspirations of becoming a professional figure skater. But at a frail 79 pounds, those dreams are on hold as she battles anorexia and bulimia. Mercedes admits she restricts her eating to just 500 calories a day, oftentimes smokes marijuana to build up an appetite and drinks a six pack of beer -- which she usually purges -- to feel full. See the toll the eating disorders are taking on her body when Dr. Phil cameras visit her home for an interview. Mercedes’ mother, Patti, says she’s exhausted from dealing with her daughter’s illness and the manipulative behavior that goes with it. Has she given up hope? Learn why Mercedes says she blames her mother for her conditions, and why, despite the urging of doctors and threat of death, she is most petrified of recovery. Will she grab onto the lifeline Dr. Phil offers her? Then, former sitcom star Tracey Gold talks candidly about her battle with anorexia and how she overcame it. Hear her message of hope to other women struggling with the disease. Plus, one year ago, Jennifer sat on Dr. Phil’s stage weighing a mere 78 pounds. Don’t miss her amazing update!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: debeez on Jul 27, 2012, 12:06PM
My sister lost the fight with Anorexia at 40 years old July 25, 2006. It has been six years and I miss her so much! Anorexia is a family disease and is so difficult to treat. So ironic this show aired on her anniversary.

Replied By: dridlon on Jul 26, 2012, 9:41PM
Sometimes we make things so difficult.  Instead of sitting there trying to iron out the issues between this girl and her mom, they should have said, "let's go down the road to the burger joint and we can talk over dinner".  The girl kept saying, "I need help, I don't know what to do".  I know what you can do!  Eat a piece of cake!!!  Dr Phil never once asked her why she just wouldn't eat.  I watch Dr Phil all the time and I am not usually able to watch shows about anorexia because they infuriate me so much, but I thought Dr Phil would ask all the right things.  But he didn't.  I am very disappointed.  This girl is CHOOSING not to eat.  Cancer is a disease- you don't CHOOSE to have it.  But you do choose this, just like any other behavior.  What a waste of an hour!

Replied By: lipps90712 on Jul 26, 2012, 7:44PM
I can understand that maybe the problem is now at a point where its out of mercedes control, however, I don't think its cool for her to be on national T.V. smoking a bong full of weed and bragging about her drinking is not cool either, SHE CAN'T EAT BUT SHE CAN DRINK BEER AND SMOKE WEED TO FEEL BETTER, SORRY BUT IT DON'T FLY WITH ME, THERE ARE MANY DOCTORS AND MANY DIFFERENT SELF HELP PROGRAMS THAT ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP HER THROUGH WITH GAINING SOME SORT OF APPETITE, THEY HAVE NAYSEA PILLS, THEY HAVE VITAMINS SHE COULD TAKE, AND BLAMING HER MOTHER KICKING HER OUT AS HER EXCUSE IS BULLSHIT, I WOULD OF TAKEN HER STRAIGHT TO JUVINAL HALL HAD SHE OF ACTED THAT WAY AT 16, AND WHY DOES SHE EXPECT HER MOTHER TO FINANCE HER WEED AND ALCOHOL ADDICTION, I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR HER,,,ITS ALL SELF INFLICTED,,,SHE WAS NOT BORN WITH A MEDICAL EATING DISORDER, SHE CHOSE TO MAKE HERSELF THROW UP. SHE IS LOOKING FOR ATTENTION, EVEN IF ITS WRONG,, I BET SHE DROPPED OUTTA SCHOOL, NEVER HAD A JOB, SO SHE DONT WANNA EAT, WELL SHE DONT WANNA WORK OR LEARN AND EDUCATION EITHER, I DONT FEEL SORRY FOR HER, I FEEL SORRY FOR HER MOTHER,,, HER MOTHER IS NOT THE BAD GUY,,HER DAUGHTER NEEDS TO SNAP OUT OF IT AND GET A GRIP,,,,,,,,QUIT HIDING BEHIND THE WEED AND ALCOHOL,,AND 10-1 TELLS ME, SHE IS NOT ON SSI,,,ITS SAD BUT SHE NEEDS TO GROW UP

Replied By: joannamoneca on Jul 26, 2012, 7:30AM
I think i t might help if mom apologizes to Mercedez as the girl still feels hurt about being kicked out. 

I think anorexia has a lot to do with low self-esteem.  Some women feel they don't have the right to take up any space or even live.  Hein ladies!  We have the right to just enjoy our life and be whatever size we want!

I remember when I was pregnant a male acquaitance kept giving me a hard time about getting bigger.  According to him I had no right to be bigger even though I was carrying a child. Finally I told him my tummy might be big but not as big as his mouth; that shut him up!   

Replied By: coladar on Jul 25, 2012, 10:36PM
Flicked on the show today and registered strictly to post this. First, I get the realities associated with such a show. But a really hypocritical way to minimize this episode?

Scheduling another repeat on Friday about "I want my sexy spouse back!" I cringed, as much as one can while watching TV, seeing Dr. McGraw's clearly heartfelt message to th,is young woman followed by ads for more of the inspiration that causes such problems to lay the groundwork for. There are realities with body image issues, and there are realities with an obesity epidemic anf typical daytime fanfare. I comprehend that. Likewise, whoever does the summer scheduling might want to look for an alternative career. Distasteful to say the least watching this woman's story then "I want my hot sexy thin wife back!" Crude.

Since I took the tine to register, I will add one more bit. I'll put on my tv psychiatry hat for a second. I think part of her story was lost in the Gold/anorexic mother segments. There is anorexia and bulemia as pure body image issues. The other two stories mentioned. Mercedes seemed like anorexia as a symptom of a far larger issue, in making her mother suffer. They went hand in hand once upon a time. Now it's lost in a suicidal young woman who feels her mum is the source of all her troubles and so on. Having a failed life by a codependent and enabling mother? Seems to me, and I have some experience with the topic, this isn't a typical anorexia case and instead a symptom of severely damaged parental/child relationship, where thr ED spun out of control as a means of guilt more than body image issues. In a way, and by no means am I trying to force my views to fit Mercedes story, but it was presented as another ED story instead of being part of a larger picture in young adults  with both enabling and troubled parents, and the extremes gone to take their issues out on their parents via guilt.Bottom line, I just didn't feel Mercedes had a connection with a fellow ED mother and Gold so much as, perhaps, an addict enabled by a parent and life spun out of control. Since it's been seven months, I truly hope she is back on her path. She seemed like a bright and beautiful young woman trapped in a horrific cycle.

And shame on the audience for applause of kicking a troubled, addictef 16 year old girl to the curb. Kicking an 18 year old out after every avenue exhausted? Last option. a 16 year old addict? The true miracle here is she did not end up a prostitue and OD. Shame, shame. You commit a 16 year old, force them into a program. Whatever. A year or two later, then you take the ultimate option. Forcing a 16 year old drug addict girl to sleep on a bench? it is a testament to Mercedes she did not wind up down a far darker, and shorter, path. Just a horrific story, one where positive outcomes are far and few. Hopefully she was able to get the treatment she needed. Both her and her mother.

Replied By: slynn15 on Jul 25, 2012, 8:15PM
Really enjoyed the topic tonight.  I  especially love that Tracy Gold was a guest.  She seems so honest, down to earth, and humble. It was a great show and really illustrates the depth of the problem.  Thank you!

Replied By: inirebelsoul on Jul 25, 2012, 7:51PM
I would be much more sympathetic to her if she wasn't putting so much blame on her mother. She is being so unfair with that. She is living with her mother now and her mother is taking care of all her needs and she is still blaming her for kicking her out when she was 16 Her mother has been by her side through all of it but out of not knowing what else to do, she kicked her out. Of course mothers are not perfect anyway, we do the best we can and we are all human. Mercedes may make even worse mistakes as a mother and shouldn't be so harsh on her mother for not wanting to watch her daughter destroy herself.

Replied By: jennef on Jul 25, 2012, 7:19PM - In reply to abqdad
I don't understand.

If you believe that Christian treatment of mental illness is the best solution ,why hasn't Christian prayer provided it?

Replied By: jennef on Jul 25, 2012, 7:06PM
Again & again & again, my husband & I say while watching many shows on Dr. Phil : "Where are the fathers?Where are the husbands?"

Replied By: kbethers on Jul 25, 2012, 5:35PM
Dear, wonderful, beautiful, bright Mercedes...

Today, for the first time in my life, I saw a talk show that made me want to reach out. I understand that today's show is a repeat. Your story has touched me in a way that left me weeping and praying.  You have the most amazing spirit that sparkled and reached me beyond that giant wall of denial and hurt that you have.

I, too, have struggled with body issues ALL of my life.  My earliest memories are of embarassment about my body.  I also have a nearly 20 year old daughter, who is the sunshine of my heart, and a son, who is looking forward to the eminent birth of his daughter.  I don't know why I am compelled to reach out to you, but I feel so strongly about your story that I want to share hope with you.

You are not alone.  There is a breast cancer patient in Utah, who doesn't know how much time she has left on this planet, that will pray everyday for you.  You are worth it.  You are precious. You are timeless.  Please know that because you are so complete, so amazing that whatever is 'evil', is trying to thwart your amazing spirit.  

I have discovered many awesome and awful things in my journey.  I wish for you to avoid the awful.  And to THRIVE! You deserve it.

If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear or maybe even a Jamba :), contact me through the show.  If not, that is ok, too.  I will keep you in my prayers, no matter what.

kristine

Showing 1-10 of total 88 Comments