Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

Debby says she first tried the powerful painkiller Hydrocodone years ago after a back injury, and she’s been hooked ever since. The 58-year-old certified medical assistant admits to popping as many as 60 pills a day, calling in fake prescriptions and stealing from friends and family to feed her $600-a-month addiction. Struggling to pay her bills, Debby says she has even shot up heroin because it’s cheaper. She says her habit has cost her several jobs, and she even spent 15 days in jail for prescription forgery, but she just can’t kick it. She continues to seek jobs in the medical field and says she’ll do anything to get her next fix, including inflicting injury on herself and making appointments with as many as 100 different doctors in the hopes that they'll write her a prescription. Debby says she has already destroyed her relationship with her daughter, Heather, and fears she’s also pushing away her son, Kyle, and mother, Marieta. Hear what they have to say about Debby’s drug dependence. And, see what happens when Debby faces Heather for the first time in eight years! Then, former Dr. Phil guest and recovering addict Joani gives Debby firsthand advice on getting clean. Will Debby accept Dr. Phil’s help? If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, you won’t want to miss this show!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: grizzley76 on Oct 22, 2014, 2:48PM - In reply to soarsalone
Our family is going through this right now. Everything in your entry is a perfect fit. Any advise? Thank you.

Replied By: fionphil on May 8, 2012, 9:17PM
Hi, just watched this show in Australia and have spent the last hour  reading all the comments. Wow!!!

I injured my back over 20 years ago, I've had surgery on it and tried all sorts of treatments, fortunately twelve years ago I attended a wonderful multi diciplinary pain management unit, here I learned how to better manage my pain, I take a slow release morphine tablet once a day, this doesn't take my pain away but does allow me to function and be a parent, wife, grandma, worker without being debilitated by pain. I control my pain now days it doesn't control me. I do have days where it really hurts and sometimes it gets too hard but I realize these days are often because I've been doing things to cause a pain flare up. What I find most disturbing about stories like this is that it does give all pain medication users a bad name, I don't understand how they can Dr shop and get away with it, maybe it's the prescribing doctors that should be on your next show, who is holding them accountable? 

Replied By: jwsmith111 on Feb 11, 2012, 4:46AM - In reply to sunnycalgirl22
Think about her kids. Watching there moma die a little more every day.

Replied By: jwsmith111 on Feb 11, 2012, 4:44AM - In reply to lesliebee
I can tell u have never delt with this. It will make u so angry.  He was not harsh. Good thing i weren't there.

Replied By: jwsmith111 on Feb 11, 2012, 4:40AM
Me and my sisters having been living this life for about 12 years now. We know any day we could get a call saying our moma Is dead. She has a local dr that gives her what ever she wants. We call him. Her local drug dealer. She has overdosed several times. We have give up trying to get her off of the drugs now .  She is so mean to us. She is now drInking along with the pills.  She sleeps probley 6 days out of 7. We just let her sleep now.. It really does get old. We don't talk to her much anymore . I feel that we have been cheated out of a life with our moma.

Replied By: cfabulae on Feb 3, 2012, 12:14PM - In reply to lesliebee
I wish I could say dr phi's treatment of this woman's addiction was the exception and not the rule but in reality its not! I was a mental health Rn for 25 years working with people with addiction some of them healthcare providers and it was always the same no compassion, How dare you let this happento YOU of ALL people etc. Physicians start this downward spiral by over prescribeing most times after a legitimate injury then turn the blame to the pt when the addiction kicks in! And what they didn't tell you on the show is the majority of insurance companies do not cover treatment for substance abuse and even if they did there are so few resources its difficult to impossible to be accepted into a reputable facility like those dr phil has access to and if you have no insurance at all FORGET ABOUT it!!!! Then these once careing , compassionate drs no longer want to see you and lable you as a "Drug Seeker" which makes you a lepor for al other hysicians as soon as they see your pt file.pshychiatrists are no better I was hopeing dr phi had a little more insight into the disease of addiction but shame on him thank you for at least sending this poor woman some words of support I can't imagine being up there all broken and alone!! GOD BLESS

Replied By: cfabulae on Feb 2, 2012, 11:04AM
Health care proffessionals work in an environment where they hear, see, feel, touch, and live with others most traumatic life changeing experiences they will ever endure such as death of loved ones, devestateing diagnosisis, loss of ability to care for their families and or selves,and in my case as a psyche nurse for 25 years unspeakable acts of torture and abuse and neglect of children  and pedaphelia and the effects that carry on from that into adulthood I also worked in trauma seeing 15 year olds pulled from wreakage from car accidents, 10 y/o drowning victims etc. I  know this was my JOB and i handled it well always comforting the families and doing what needed to be done. But after an injury I too recieved vicodin for pain some how I wasn't spending so much time sobbing on the way home from a pratricuraily BAD day on the ward next thing I new I was taking more and more then b4 i knew it i was addicted but who could i tell? I was Highly respected and the drs (psychchiatrist included had no tolerance for DRuggies) so I began to get them any way I could I lost my license, respect from everyone, and ultimately my self worth!! After watching your show and your reaction to this woman nothing has changed we have have no where to turn after all we are proffessionals its our JOB but we are human beings 1sT!!

Replied By: jenny4499 on Jan 30, 2012, 11:06AM
Speaking with exp, alot of people dont understand how someone just cant stop.Its very hard once you have taken it for so long.Alot of times these people actually start them by having a doctor prescribe them for a injury. Once the doctor says thats it, they leave it up to the person to get off them self. If doctors would take the time and wing them off, we would have less people addicted.I watch dr phils show everyday and i think he was to hard on her. It would be different if she didnt want help but she was the one who calles the show.As i said i know from exp because i am to addicted and want  and need help.Its not easy! I am ashamed depressed and sometimes wish my life would just end so i dont have to put my family through the pain finding out i am still addicted.So if you know someone who is a addict please be understanding and try to help in a loving way because if you dont then it might make it alot harder on them to stop

Replied By: leahmw on Jan 30, 2012, 7:29AM - In reply to lesliebee
You took the words right out of my mouth!  I don't usually join message boards and make comments, but I too felt compelled to comment on this one!  I watch Dr. Phil regularly & this is the first time EVER that I felt like he treated a guest with unjustified complete disrespect. I normally totally respect and agree with what he has to say, the approach he takes and how he responds to different people.  I was very surprised by the way he treated her after she wrote to him asking for help and then was so completely vulnerable, open and honest with everything!  I really hope there is a follow up show & he steps up and acknowledges that this time he owes this woman an apology.

Replied By: german2 on Jan 29, 2012, 2:03PM - In reply to auntieshell
you have money to buy pills..............

Showing 1-10 of total 78 Comments