Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

It's a parent's worst nightmare to learn that their child was sexually abused -- especially in their own home. Dr. Phil’s guests share their horrifying stories to alert other parents to the signs they may have missed. Patty says her world ended three years ago when she learned that her husband of nine years had been raping her then 13-year-old daughter, “Alexis,” whom he adopted, as well as their 7-year-old and 4-year-old daughters, sometimes multiple times a day -- for years. How could a mom not know? Though her now ex-husband is serving 40 years to life in prison, this family's nightmare is far from over. Patty says that because of a negative reaction from their neighborhood, she and her girls had to change their last name, move to another town and start over, but new identities don't heal the wounds of the past. How can they heal from such horrific trauma? Then, Colleen, 23, who says she was sexually abused by her older brother for years, shares her advice. Plus, find out which children have a greater risk of being sexually abused, and how to use the sex offender registry to spot predators in your neighborhood. Don’t miss these cautionary tales that will change the way you protect your own family. This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion is advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: alphak555 on Aug 1, 2012, 12:17AM - In reply to ashmoh
SHe must be the cleanest person in America! Shame on her!

Replied By: alphak555 on Aug 1, 2012, 12:13AM - In reply to kathleen27
What would you do if the person told you that he had molested someone in the past? Yes we should trust our partners but not in this case! Wouldn't you at least look in on your children if your partner was missing and he had a past of molestation? I can think of a hundred scenarios thatshould not have happened in this case and the mother was the only one who could have stopped it and she didn't! Shame on her!

Replied By: alphak555 on Aug 1, 2012, 12:07AM - In reply to mrsleverett
I totally agree to these sentiments! The mother made no sense at all! Where was she all of the time? This monster spent a lot of time with the poor girl even getting her to dress up! It sounded like he was missing a lot and this crap about the mother being drugged is ridiculous! You would notice 8 years of drugging! If she was drugged didn't she feel funny at times? Ridiculous! She made a lot of excuses and made no sense especially knowing that this man had molested before! I am very suspicious of the mother and her reaction!

Replied By: alphak555 on Jul 31, 2012, 11:52PM
I couldn't believe the mothers reaction throughout the whole show! She seemed odd and not as horrified as one would be in that situation! I would blame myself completely for a lot of reasons especially not picking up on it! How many showers did this woman take To enable the husband the opportunity to rape the poor girl? Didn't she notice her husband missing ? How big is their house? It must be huge! She mentioned that there were no signs like blood etc! What about a change in a child's behavior and mental state? I have a funny feeling about this woman! She was told that the monster had molested before and she still left her girls with him and didn't even check when he was missing! How did he get so many opportunities , up to 6 a day to rape the child? Where the hell was the mother? Again, I don't understand the mothers reaction and the inability to pick up on anything over a period of 8years!!!!  Why was he given so many opportunities  to rape? Even when there is no evidence of molestation a mother still has her childrens safety on her mind and considers everything especially now where there is so much media coverage about pedo's! We all know that it is usually the people closest to us! I just saw the bit where the girl said that she was forced to dress up before he raped her! Where was the mother? It sounds like he spent a lot of time with this child!

Replied By: pinkxbutterfly on Jan 24, 2012, 9:49AM
Sorry I'm a bit late commenting on this show, I just watched it recently. I just wanted to say something to "Alexis". There was something in her letter to her father that disturbed me. She said "who would want a used girl?" I would like to respond: I understand your feelings, I really do since I have also been a victim of sexual abuse. But you are buying into the kind of value that much of society places on women. You are not merchandise. You are not just worth your virginity. You are a human being and a man should accept you for who you are, not whether or not you are a virgin. If a man can't accept you, then he is not worthy of you.

Replied By: mrsleverett on Dec 17, 2011, 10:50PM
Now with this show Dr. Phil really surprised me by how easy he let the mother off the hook.  I understand that her husband did these horrible things to these girls, but she shouldn't have continued a relationship with him after he told her that he molested a child.  This wasn't something she heard he told her what and who he was and she married him anyway and had kids with him and for that she's partially the blame for this too.  I was wondering why Dr. Phil wasn't telling her that because she could have prevented all of this from happening.  The things those little girls were saying that their own father did to them was disgusting and he had to be drugging her or something for her to know nothing.  I just don't understand how she didn't notice her husband dipping in and out of bed.  I also don't understand why she wasn't watching him and asking her daughters if he touched them with his history.  Mothers and fathers have very important roles as parents and we're supposed to protect and take care of our children and when he told her what he was "a molester" she should have ran.  There is no way I could have trusted him around any children.  I wonder why she continued to be with him after he admited to molesting and violating a child???  I can't understand why anyone would want to be with someone that hurt a child.  Nowadays everyone wants to play the victim and no one wants to accept responsibility anymore and that's sad.  My heart goes out to the daughters because to me they're the only victims in this horrible situation.  I hope they get the counseling they need to cope with this horrible situation.  I hope the father rots in jail forever until he dies!!!

Replied By: kathleen27 on Dec 17, 2011, 3:17PM - In reply to annie2222
I am married to a wonderful man, and we have 3 children.  All are now, in their 20's, College graduates, and still very close to us and to each other.  Guees what?  I am BLESSED, not "better" than any Mother who chose a man who has a hidden illness.

As I look back on my life, not ONCE did the thought cross my mind to ask "IS DADDY TOUCHING YOU?"

If I went out, they were with their father, and not once did I EVER EVER think that they were unsafe. He played with them, hugged them, kissed them, and was open about displays of affection.  Any child had a bad dream, or was sick, that child slept in between us, in our bed.  Is that weird, because to me, that is normal.

When I had my second child, the first slept with her father.  I had the third, BOTH slept with their father...2 girls, one boy, nobody was molested.

WHAT IF I HAD BEEN FOOLED? 

I think Moms should be able to shower, color their hair, go out with friends, and not give safety of the children a thought, IF these children are with their father..  Same applies to dads being able to do the same.  Women are also capable of sexual abuse, so should we, too, be "looked at" because there are VERY sick people in this world? 

Bottom line, spouses SHOULD trust each other.  If that trust is betrayed, whose fault is it, and can you honestly be making love to a man you "suspect" may be having sex with children.  I just got a chill at the thought of it.

I found the Show very depressing, felt so awful for those children, but realized,that while it may be more common that we think,  it's equally unhealthy to suspect your life partner because of the mentally ill.

I hope that man dies in prison, but my blame goes to the offender, and to those who stay, and sweep this under the carpet. 

Replied By: janedeer on Dec 17, 2011, 7:28AM - In reply to rainbo71165
All I am saying is that people who sexually abuse children and their unwilling participants are part of a broken/dysfunctional/sick family system. It is not the "mother" or the molester is part of a much bigger problem.

Sexual abuse of children continues only because of the silence/shame/threats and exposing it and talking about it is part of the solution to help find healing in the larger family system.

You cannot single out the "mother" and say she was stupid/unaware. She was also part of the problem but for different reasons. Women like this are blind to what can be happening right in her own household.

This has gone on in my family for three generations. My mother was sexually abused in the 1930's - 40's until her abuser died when she was five years old, she was an abusive mother in every way possible to her five children, she encouraged and concealed the abusers that molested her grandchildren ....... one of them my own son .... and after threatening to kill me, breaking my nose, beating me up, stealing my car he took the baby and started sexually abusing him on his first birthday. ........ long story short there where professional therapist/child psychologist involved for years and they did not pick it up .......... it is hidden under secrecy and shame...........

really don't judge until you can walk a mile in anyone's shoes.

Replied By: dmsnj64 on Dec 17, 2011, 6:11AM
Why were you letting this mother off the hook so easily?  There is no way she did not suspect what was happening to her daughters!  She is as sick as the rapist himself.  She needs inpatient treatment for herself. Come on Dr. Phil, call a spade a spade!

Replied By: ashmoh on Dec 16, 2011, 12:18PM - In reply to rainbo71165
Exactly my thoughts and emotions while watching the show. How long do you shower lady? This was going on 4-5 times a day for 8 years. Are you kidding? Really sorry for the kids for being let down by the people who were supposed to protect them. I hope someone does all the things to the stepdad mentioned in the daughter's letter and more.

Showing 1-10 of total 249 Comments