Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

It’s hard to believe, but studies show that one in six Americans don't know where their next meal is coming from. Mark and Margo say their family is barely making ends meet and often find themselves down to their last $12. And to make matters worse, their fights over finances are tearing their 15-year-marriage apart. How can they -- and so many others – turn their misfortune around? Dr. Phil helps them create a life-changing action plan they can put into practice today. And, Debbie is a single mother of four whose struggle to survive will move you. Her two youngest children have special needs and another child suffered a stroke. Then Debbie, herself, was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and had to have her spleen removed. Her mother passed away, her house was foreclosed, and she had to sell her valuables. Debbie says her family's apartment is in a bad neighborhood, her car is unreliable, and she’s about to lose her job due to downsizing. Overall, Debbie says she feels like a failure. Dr. Phil has some surprises in store for this deserving mom. Plus, country music icon Ronnie Dunn’s new music video speaks to how the economy has left thousands of people out of work and struggling to survive. He performs his hit single, “Cost of Livin’,” which has become an anthem for many Americans. And, Dr. Phil announces his partnership with Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic huger-relief charity. Just $1 can provide eight meals to families in need. Tune in and join Dr. Phil in his call to action to raise enough money for 10 million meals and beat hunger in America!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: vmpage on Dec 21, 2011, 5:12PM - In reply to sonnyfl
I have netflix, and consider the $8 as part of my monthly $20 "blow" budget! 

Get real people!

Replied By: vmpage on Dec 21, 2011, 5:05PM - In reply to becca42
I too drive 70 miles one way to work. I don't have kids, so I work two jobs. I do this for the same reason as you - to better myself. I don't rely on GA. I live in an efficiency. I drive an old car. The two of us shoudl start a busiiness showing people how to save a ton of money living poor! Ha ha. Good luck to you!

Replied By: vmpage on Dec 21, 2011, 4:42PM
I got really angry when I read that their cable and internet got shut off. Hello, you are so poor you need welfare (food stamps) but you have CABLE? I don't have cable. Why? Because I need to live within my means and save for unexpected occurrences. You don't have the right to cry poverty when you are driving a new car and watching 100 channels! I drive 140 miles a day, sit x days a week in my 14 year old car and juggle two jobs and grad school, all without handouts. I needed to leave my car with the mechanic for all of last week. What did I do? Rented a car (with my debit card- yes, Enterprise does this) drove to both of my jobs for the week, and then used my saviings to pay the mechanic. Have some personal responsibility!!

Replied By: jgalla83 on Dec 17, 2011, 8:32PM
Watching this show caused me to let out the tears that I've been holding in all day. I watched my big, 6'5" tough husband slump down against the wall with tears in his eyes today as the repair man told us that we need a new furnace.  It took all I had not to tear up in front of him, I had to walk out of the room.  He had the look of defeat on his face, one I seldom see.  It took all we had to scrape together the money needed to have a nice Christmas for our 2 baby boys and now this...  sometimes it just seems like we will never get ahead.  However, I realize that I'm not alone at night when I worry about paying the mortgage and being able to afford diapers, formula, etc. and that there is always another poor soul out there in a far worse situation than my family. I know that somehow my family will be warm this winter and we will have a wonderful Christmas together, regardless of our checkbook balance. Thank you Dr. Phil for bringing me back to reality today.

Replied By: isaac18 on Dec 17, 2011, 6:36PM - In reply to battlehillave
your comment really offended alot of hardworking americans. why is it that you feel this women should not have to work? what if we all had this poor attitude you have, where would our country be? how about this i am a working mom who makes minimum wage ill quit my job, go on assistance and you can pay my bills. hows that sound now?

Replied By: rupabrwa on Dec 17, 2011, 2:45PM - In reply to battlehillave
I am sorry if you do not agree with my comment. I am a full time working mother. For Margo to sit there on that stage and claim poverty when she does nothing about it just really gets on my nerves. She is LAZY!!! Go back and watch this show. She didn't even pause for her food stamps comment. There was not a chance in hell she was going to give them up. How about a perfectly capable woman go out and find her a job so one less fortunate can have a shot at those food stamps? One that really needs it. I leave my children 5 days a week to help with the bills, food, clothing, etc. Margo do the same!!!

Replied By: donna060999 on Dec 17, 2011, 9:27AM - In reply to battlehillave
People aren't ganging up on this woman, they are tired of paying their hard earned money to the government so others who are capable of working can sit at home all day.  The economic effect on her life will be minimal because she gets food stamps and she would lose them if she got a job!  What about all the millions of couples in this country who work and support themselves? Most are barely making ends meet.  What about their time with their children? Why shouldn't they do the same as this woman?  Many would qualify for food stamps if one spouse stopped working. Then what would happen when you have more people getting assistance than you have people working and paying for their assistance?  We may already be at this point.

Replied By: battlehillave on Dec 17, 2011, 5:00AM - In reply to rupabrwa
Ignorant comment

Replied By: battlehillave on Dec 17, 2011, 4:58AM
People are ganging up on a woman who doesn't want to go to work because she will lose her food stamps and won't be able to see her kids.  What is the point of this women going to work if the economonic affect on her life is minimal.  Yes, she might have a bit more money (but not enough to change her life) the only thing that would really change is she would be working to death and wouldn't be able to see her children.  What kind of affect is that going to have on children who don't see their parents.  The people on this message board don't get it and that Ronnie Dunn song continues to send out the wrong message.  Why should an American have to work 80 hours a week to barely support his family - what is this CHINA.  Maybe that's what the lower middle class whats this country to turn into  - a two class society with only the ultra rich (like Dr. Phill and Ronnie Dunn) and then the poor.  Maybe if there were so programs to help struggling Americans they wouldn't feel so alone.  Keep taxes on Dr. Phil and Ronnie down at 18 %, while the poor and everyone else pay 26% and we will continue to have more of the same.  Don't attack each other, look at why we are where we are today - Greed and rich corporations (who are making money) but want more and move all decent paying jobs oversees where they don't have to pay their works.  Tax corporations and penalize them for doing this, they are destroying America and attacking a poor women who want to be with her kids isn't the answer/

Replied By: rajoyce on Dec 16, 2011, 5:55AM - In reply to rupabrwa
Right on!!

Showing 1-10 of total 133 Comments