Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/14/11) A mother and father desperate to save their daughter from her self-destructive behavior reach out to Dr. Phil for help. Terri and Bob say their 17-year-old daughter, Daniella, went from a sweet and innocent girl to a troubled and rebellious young woman who skips school, uses drugs and lashes out at them repeatedly. Daniella says she’s struggling with her sexual identity and is afraid her parents won’t accept her choices. Bob, who admits to using homophobic slurs in the past, says he loves his daughter regardless of her sexuality, and he just wants his little girl back. But did a recent argument tell a different story? What hurtful words pushed Daniella to run away from home? Watch as former Dr. Phil guests Debbie and Brandon track down Daniella and stage an intervention. Can they convince her to sit down with Dr. Phil? Will she get the acceptance she’s seeking from her family? .

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: daniella11 on May 16, 2013, 12:34PM - In reply to andythebeagle
I really do appreciate your thoughtfulness & support, it's people like you who help me stay strong & continue to look beyond the judgements and continue to be myself. your comment really touched me, so thank you! I always appreciate peoples support, especially after the show (:

Replied By: funkytrish on Jul 5, 2012, 2:34PM
I watched it this morning and sat crying while watching it is my battle with my parents.  I felt like Daniella 23 years ago it still a no-no conversation topic but my wife actually nudged the door open. My parents don't talk about it and if you don't talk about it it's not there. My daughters stole my mum's heart and my dad is also crumbling..... So thank you Dr Phil for helping Daniella although she still has not figured it out yet for herself at least she has the support now to figure it all out with a little help from you and your team.

Regards,

Trish

Replied By: yaoigrrl67 on Jun 9, 2012, 12:40AM - In reply to supermom6
Hey I just wanted to let you know that your daughter is not alone. I am the same as she is. the only difference is that i am 12 years her senior. please let her know about me. I realize that times have changed since over a decade ago, but what i would've given to know at that age that there was someone like me out there. its easier to find similar people now with the internet then when i was 15(lol lucky kid) to make you feel so not alone. and i hope she finds happiness(especially within herself) and best of luck in her future. tell her to keep her chin up :) take care and be supportive of whichever path she takes be it sex change or not.

Replied By: yaoigrrl67 on Jun 9, 2012, 12:09AM
I cried watching this as it took me back 12 years ago. You are not alone Daniella. As well as anyone else reading this that feels the same way. I will share my story as well in hopes that I make at least 1 person who might read this feel less alone. 12 years ago, I was kicked out of my house and I argued with my parents constantly. My Dad who  was my hero and also very prejudice against glbt(gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered), and me his little 'tom boy' but grew up to be very sexually confused teenager were at each others throats. At the time I believed I was a gay man stuck in a woman's body.(later I realized a bisexual man) I never heard of the term transgendered back then and I realize now that it was rare but at the time I believed that to be nonexistent (besides me of course lol) I was extremely alone and living at friends houses. I had to drop out to work full time so i could rent an apartment. My mother who was worried about me, called me up asked why was I always lashing out and what was wrong with me. I told her I was bisexual during that conversation. I didn't tell her the rest cause I didn't want her head to explode lol. That and I didn't think she could comprehend it. She heard me but never really acknowledged it or ever really said anything about it to this day. At the time I took it to mean that she didn't accept me. Now I know that she just didn't know how to cope with that info. I was going to a doctor to discuss about hormone treatments to begin the gradual process of a sex change which was a new concept to alot of people at the time. I never told my parents. I met a guy at one of my friends houses at that time and I told him about my sexual preference and my inner gender. One of the first people I ever told and I remember how scared I was. He told me how great it was that a person of my age (15 then) even knew what my sexual identity was. After all night of talking, he told me that he fell in love with me. And I truly believe I found my kindred spirit. After talking about my sex change for the next couple of years, I came to the decision that I didn't need it. I became confident and comfortable in my skin and sexuality and I thank adulthood for enlightening me. Now I know that alot of people might think that I gave up and am back in a closet but I realized I can be whatever I want to be in the bedroom thanks my open minded partner, and whatever I want to be outside the bedroom. I have the best of both worlds and am so happy. I don't fear judgement because i could care less about what others think and am not ashamed to tell people. I am still with him, 12 years later. my partner, my husband, and have a beautiful little girl together.(for parents who worry about not having grand kids like Daniella's mother due to their child's sexual preference) I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter if I had the body parts of a man to be me. Just like if a man had testicular cancer is he any less of a man? if a woman has a hysterectomy is she any less of a woman? what matters the most is acceptance and the love of people you care about. Be who you are even if there is no label for it. Open up to love from people around you. Be it someone you just meet and confide in to test the waters, or family/friends that have been with you your whole life and love you no matter what. I am best friends with my parents and talk to them every day. It was a long road to rebuild that relationship and I learned that in order to start, you have to let go of the negative things that were said. I hope my story helps someone feel less alone. Thank you Daniella for sharing your story. Even though I cried watching it, while I'm writing this, I'm happy and proud of the things I've accomplished and the road I took. All the best for the road you take.

Replied By: andythebeagle on Jun 8, 2012, 3:28PM
Daniella is positively adorable. Any parent should be proud to have her as a daughter. Her heart has been broken by her parents ignorance, closed minded outlook on life and their personal irrational fears. I wonder just how much their religious views have influenced the damage in the rest of their lives.   She needs support, not criticism, and unconditional love. I would love to have a person like Daniella in my life. I can see that she would be a constant source of joy.  Daniella, I am so sorry for the abuse you have tolerated from the hands and mouths of those who profess to love you.

Replied By: rkern1 on Jun 8, 2012, 8:50AM
I hope that when I'm a parent, I'm enlightened enough to understand my children for who they really are inside. Acceptence is so important, as long as no one's getting seriously hurt. This girl is so beautiful and full of potntial...everyone starts out that way. Support and up lifting is what everyone needs along life's way to help them when they're faltering. However, no one is perfect...parents are human beings with all types of different upbringings. Tough situations like these are the ones that need to be considered before bringing children into the world to live THIER best lives. Not to live it for their parents.

Replied By: jennef on Jun 7, 2012, 7:35PM - In reply to isabelle1
Well said!

Replied By: jennef on Jun 7, 2012, 7:31PM - In reply to livetochange
God bless you ....He gave you a compassionate & open mind. So comforting to see human kindness in all these harsh & judgemental comments.

Replied By: supermom6 on Jun 7, 2012, 5:26PM - In reply to rach00
This is how i feel.If you are gay,lesbian,whatever, that is not an excuse to be self harming,disrespectful,lazy,use drugs,be defiant to parents,teachers etc., You can't use that as an excuse for doing these things.Lots of ppl are of different orientation than the gender they were born and still lead successful lives.This is what i have been trying to tell my daughter(who is now trying to live as a boy,she's 15)You still need an education ,rest,proper nutrition and a healthy enviroment and friends to thrive. I can only hope for the future!

Replied By: supermom6 on Jun 7, 2012, 5:12PM - In reply to cyncyn982
Please don't be too harsh on the parents.I don't think they are evil or judgemental.They are just reacting.Walk a mile in their shoes and even then,think twice.It's a very tough cruel world out there and i'm sure these folks are just stunned at the moment.

Showing 1-10 of total 138 Comments