Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/07/11) Are today’s kids more entitled than in past generations? Research shows that 80 percent of college graduates are moving back in with Mom and Dad, and many appear to be earning a degree in laziness! Dorothy says her son, Johnnie, is a spoiled con artist who has moved in and out of her home twice, free of charge. Johnnie says he never wants a steady job and thinks his mom — whom he claims is a multimillionaire — is just being “greedy.” Dorothy says her son dropped out of college and traveled the world on an $84,000 inheritance intended for his education, and once threatened to burn down her house if she didn’t give him $5,000. She says she has found him odd jobs, provided his transportation and even bribed him to finish college, but he won’t stop freeloading. Dr. Phil shells out some tough love to both mom and son. Then, Maria says she cooks, cleans and does laundry for her 24-year-old daughter, Alexis, but the college graduate takes it all for granted. Alexis says she’s in a transitional period and isn’t ready to live on her own. Fed up, Maria says she has given her daughter eight months to save her money and get her own place -- but is she being reasonable? Hear what Dr. Phil has to say, and get tips for motivating anyone who is outstaying their welcome!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: pamandpat on Sep 13, 2012, 8:49PM
This is my first time I have written on this site although I have been watching Dr Phil for years.  Dr Phil's advice has helped me through so many life experiences and helped me solve a lot of problems in my life.  I just watched the segment generation lazy and thought my experience might help others.

My twin sister and I left high school at the age of 15 in 1969, both my older twin brother and sister who are 6 years older than us left school in 1964. In those days both parents worked a 9 - 5 day and so it was expected that we all pulled our weight with the housework which we gladly did.  We were always shown that the housework was a team effort and that all our family were a team.  That made sense so it didn't seem strange to pull our weight.  /We were given pocket money which we used every Saturday to go to the local pool, the cinema or the local iceskating rink.  When we left school and went to work we had to pay $8 per week board as well as share in the chores out of our $20 a week wages until we left home and got married.  That was more than a third of our wages per week!

When I had my three children they were brought up the same and paid  board out of their salaries until they left home.  Thanks to this all my children have successful jobs and were able to be self sufficient in every area of housework, budgeting etc.  In my son's case he had better homemaker skills than his wife.  I believe if you can teach a small child to tie their shoelaces they can teach them anything.  I taught my children at an early age to make their bed, sort the washing, use a washing machine, wash up, vacuum the floors, clean the bathrooms, peg the washing on the line correctly, fold the clean washing, dust the furniture, mow the lawns etc and cook a basic meal and cakes - even sewing and knitting was included.  No job was based on gender and all work which was done well was praised. 

The half an hour each child spent after school on housework taught them to be tidy and gave them a great feeling of pride and accomplishment.  We also gave each child a small weekly amount of pocket money to spend on whatever they liked.  Later on they all had part-time jobs at grades 11 and 12 and paid for their own entertainment and clothes.  My advice to parents is to start young in sharing the load of housework while explaining that everyone who lives in the home are equal and that they are equally involved in the running ot a clean and tidy house.  The chores didn't feel like punishment but seemed natural to how we lived our lives.  My famous catchcry was "WE ALL LIVE IN THIS HOUSE THEREFORE WE ALL SHARE THE LOAD"

I am now 58

Replied By: learnchem on Jun 25, 2012, 9:42AM
The only way this child can do all this is because the parents "allow" it by giving in to their son!!  This is just stupid!  No way I could have even thought of staying at home for any length of time without paying rent or getting out and getting my own place!  This applied to my brother and sister.  There were very exceptions and they involved real illness!

We were raised to "grow up" and take care of ourselves!  Every one of us went to college.  Both my brother and I completed college and my sister married a man with a Ph.D.  When my parents needed care, they moved in with sister and her husband.  None of us are rich; we just learned to work.  So what is this families problem?!  What will happen when they need help in their old age?  There will be no one to care for them because the children are too "crippled".  They cannot even care for themselves, so no way could they even think of helping their parents.

Replied By: jgpa66 on Jun 16, 2012, 8:44AM
On the show about the son taking advantage of his Mother,  Dr Phil says something to the effect,  "when we come back,  I'm going to put some verbs in my sentence & tell you what I think."  That isn't the exact words but.....when the commercial is over.....he did not put verbs in his sentence.  He does that  a lot of the time!  Because we all watch to see what Dr. Phil's opinions, advice, & guidance he has for the situation and so many times he says that phrase about verbs in his sentence and then when he comes back from break, he forgot what he said, because he never goes back to really tell his opinion.  Just saying............June

Replied By: momofthree19 on Jun 14, 2012, 2:39PM - In reply to afraid
Amen!!!

Replied By: markmcsw on Jun 13, 2012, 2:50PM - In reply to tfrost1980
This loser Johnnie is a pathological liar. He exaggerated EVERYTHING, had to be corrected on the incorrect things he said. So many lies! If he were on trial for murder, I'd vote guilty just because of the lies.

Replied By: upsydasy on Jun 13, 2012, 7:04AM - In reply to h0twh33ls17
You can’t live in a penthouse and drive a brand new car overnight either.  It takes time to reach those goals if you have them, while you save whatever money you can earn straight out of college.    30 years ago, as you put it, we were willing to take any Mcjob just to get our foot in the door and worked our way up.  I got my first job as a receptionist and my biggest responsibility, other than to answer the phones, was to lick envelopes.  I literally thought I would die of boredom. 

We didn’t buy a pair of shoes every week or hang out at Starbucks and we didn’t look up to the Kardashians as role models.  Our first apartments were not located in the fanciest part of town and we had roommates that we didn’t always get along with.  We furnished our digs with hand-me-down furniture scavenged from our parent’s basements, if we were lucky.  You’d be surprised what a nice throw can do for a stained sofa with a broken leg.  The highpoint of my week was to have dinner at my parent’s home once a week.  My mom would send me back with care packages consisting of leftovers for my lunches, cat food, toilet paper and Campbell’s soup.  She never once had to give me cash to help make ends meet.

30 years down the road, I can honestly tell you that those were the happiest and most carefree days of my life. 

P.S.  My last job at the company that I worked for as a receptionist was as Marketing Coordinator for one of the largest hotel chains in Canada.  It was well worth the sacrifices that I made when I first entered the company.

Replied By: toyotamr2gt on Jun 13, 2012, 2:41AM
I agree with the boy that was on your show but deeply disagree with your advice on the girl.   He was just loafing and using his moms money.  This girl FINISHED COLLEGE AND HAS A JOB.  She never told them to screw one night and bring her into this world so think they parents should support her until she gets her life together and making a good life for herself.  Even animals take care of their young until they are big enough to take care of themselves.  Her mother sits on her ass all day and should do the house chores.  The girl has a job which is a whole lot more than millions of people have.  If her mom is sitting on her ass and the girl is working she should be able to come home and relax.  I had 2 boys I supported.  One is a DoDDS teacher who teaches overseas to military dependents stationed overseas.  My other son graduated on the Deans list and with honors from UTSA and is preparing to start  Physical Theorapy College in a month.  He has already been admitted.  I supported them both and will until they get their lives going.  If you don't agree let me know on my e:mail address:  toyotamr2gt@hotmail.com.

Replied By: julie614 on Jun 12, 2012, 7:09PM - In reply to whatelks67
I'm 56 years old and I'm bedridden due to having multiple sclerosis for almost 32 years. I didn't apply for disability insurance after being diagnosed. I worked for over 20 years until I kept falling. My right knee had to be replaced as well as both hips. I kept working because I needed to save $ for my son's college education. He graduated from Xavier Univ. In 2003 with 2 degrees. I helped out by buying him a decent used car, a Honda Accord, paid his car insurance, bought a nice cell phone and paid his cell phone bills throughout college, I even added his name to my Visa account for emergencies or only when he asked for permission for a misc. Expense. I thought and hoped I could work until he graduated, but that was not meant to be. He went to Xavier University and became a RA to get free room and board. It took both my willingness to assist him (with limits) and likewise him pitching in and asking for a job at Xavier. He graduated with honors. I keep hearing how this younger generation want government hand outs. I've been a little down in the dumps lately. I keep hearing how badly our economy is doing and on the news we hear we are becoming like Greece. I have never asked the government for a dime, I won 't apply for Medicare even though I'm qualified. My husband is employed and I'm covered by his insurance. It would be more cost effective if iMedicare paid my medical bills (I've done the math) but my pride won't allow me to do so. A lesson for all parents: you have to set the right example for your kids from birth to the present. You can defeat peer pressure if you start teaching them right from wrong and set the right tone in your home. Most importantly : ALWAYS TRY TO REMEMBER HOW YOU FELT WHEN YOU WERE YOUR CHILD'S AGE. LET THAT BE YOUR GUIDE. Kid's start to stray when they think you don't understand their problems. A gap develops and all too often they listen to their friends. My son sever drank or experimented with drugs. I told him when he was young that if he did he could't get away with it . I would know. I repeated that message over and over again. My son trusted me do much that at times I felt like a priest hearing confession. Ha! But in all honesty, my son didn't even take a sip of beer until he was 20 years old, He's grown up to be a kind, caring, generous man. It took a few years after college to land a good job. A job not related to his degrees. He wanted to work in the field he was educated for, but he knew I had to take a job that was not in my life plan and I was very successful. I just had a hood attitude. Same story for my son. He earns roughly $80,000 a year plus profit sharing. He really likes what he's doing, again, unrelated to his education, but he works for a fortune 500 company and he's in a management fast track position. Every year or sometimes sooner he gets reassigned to a different area so he learns different facets of the organization. This gives him more experience and therefor more marketable. To whomever made this post to which I'm responding. Keep up the good work. Our country needs more moms like you!

Replied By: kaysquare on Jun 12, 2012, 6:19PM
When are parents of these spoiled adult children going to learn how to JUST SAY NO??  It's not rocket science folks, just say it over & over again, you'll learn how, & it'll feel good!

Replied By: kaysquare on Jun 12, 2012, 6:17PM - In reply to h0twh33ls17
Ya know, that girl could move out & be responsible.....IF she learned how to manage her money.  No, she wouldn't live in an apartment by herself or drive new cars.  She could room with a couple other girls in a furnished apartment, stop buying shoes & new clothes like she admits she does, take her lunch to work, stop buying coffee at Starbucks probably.  There are MANY ways that girl could move out & be on her own.  If her parents learned how to say NO, it could happen.  This little girl is just spoiled rotten & needs to grow up.

Showing 1-10 of total 92 Comments