Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/09/11) In a Dr. Phil first: A convicted murderer faces his victims’ children. Rebecca and her brother, Daniel, were just 7 and 3 when they sat down for what would be their last dinner with their mother and father together. What happened next changed their lives forever: They witnessed a friend of the family walk in, pull out a gun and shoot their father and shoot and kill their mother. Rebecca shares her remarkable story in the book, The Devil in Pew Number Seven, which details her parents’ five-year war with the most powerful man in town, Horry Watts, who orchestrated that fateful night. Now 33 years later, and after 21 years in prison, the gunman, Harris Williams, faces Rebecca and Daniel on Dr. Phil's stage to atone for his actions. But will his words heal the wounds of the past or just inflict further pain? Dr. Phil meets with Williams before fostering the tense reunion. What does Williams remember? And why hasn't he reached out to Rebecca and Daniel sooner? Can the siblings find forgiveness in their hearts? It’s an unbelievable story about corruption, hatred … and the power of forgiveness.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: alphak555 on Jul 30, 2012, 11:48PM
These people are wonderful! I couldn't believe it when they had compassion for the murderer and how his life was changed! This is true compassion! I also can't believe the people who are picking this segment to pieces! Take it for what it is, 2 loving and kind people who are truly good! I do think that 21 years is not long enough to spend in jail for the type of crime that he committed! It is time that we take responsility for our actions and stop making excuses! I couldn't care less that he was an alcoholic as this was his choice ! I don't believe that he remembers nothing about the cold slaying of an innocent woman! I know that it is possible to do things when your drunk and not recall it but if something horrific happens then you can remember flashes of the event! If this man remembers nothing about his crime then I would wonder about his remorse! If the children can forgive that is all that counts!

Replied By: millertas on Jul 30, 2012, 9:53PM
A little disappointing that through out the whole talk there was no mention of tightening US's guns laws. The children (now in there 30s and 40s) were terrific and true christians (to err is human, to forgive is divine) but I believe that the overability of obtaining firearms was a major factor in this tragic occurance. It has destroyed the lives of so many people.

Replied By: purplelily18 on Jul 30, 2012, 8:17PM
Hi Dr. Phil,

I'm one of your fans here Downunder, we get episodes of your show few days or sometimes weeks late,  so this message is maybe a bit late, but anyway ,I just want to express my admiration to Rebecca and Daniel. I cannot stop crying while watching this show. I just want to say that they inspired me so much when sometimes it's a struggle  to forgive others...

Replied By: acctjudy on Jul 7, 2012, 8:23AM - In reply to avemaria
Who cares about the rest of the town.  None of them were stepping up and helping the preacher and his family.  Sure they were praying for them, but we see how well that worked!  This was one old, nasty man that the town let run the place. The preacher needed to take care of his own family and he did not do that, did he?

Replied By: acctjudy on Jul 7, 2012, 8:10AM
I just read the book and it made me angry, but not for the reason you would think.  I think her father died from the stress alright but also the guilt of staying in that town for so long.  He wasn't  going to win this battle and the only outcome was going to be horrific if they stayed.  He put his wife and precious children in grave danger.  It was obvious early on (like the first YEAR) that the prayers were not working. 

I am glad for the kids that they are able to forgive this man who killed their mom, but if I were them I would always be wondering just what "in gods name" was my dad thinking!  Common sense should always prevail!

Replied By: lavenderbells on Jul 4, 2012, 8:50PM
Wow, I was so moved by this story and I so admire and respect Daniel and Rebecca.  Talk about being a living example.

God bless you.  You were such an inspiration to me. 

Replied By: lindaasa on Jul 4, 2012, 7:59PM
I have never seen a more poinient television show.  I cried with so much sadness for Rebecca and Daniel.  How they can be so forgiving and face their mother's killer was truly by the grace of God.  Even though it's been many years since the murder, I can see how they remember it as if it were yesterday.  I have so much admiration for them. 

I couldn't and didn't feel any emotion for the man sitting across from them.  I may not have been able to forgive as Rebecca and Daniel did. 

I applaud them and my heart and prayers are with them and their families.

Replied By: janeberkshire on Jul 4, 2012, 2:49AM
Wow....so close to my own life.  My father shot and killed my mother.  My sister had just turned 6 and I was 2 weeks away from my 3rd birthday.  He spent 7.5 years in jail and then got custody of us.  He was not a good father and I have spent 50 years dealing with this whole mess.  I have started my book a thousamd times......

I need some help!!!!!!

Jane

Replied By: julieakern on Jul 3, 2012, 8:29PM
I really enjoyed this story of forgiveness and healing, but I did not understand the pandering to CNN.  Let's keep it to the story at hand and leave the liberal news media ut of the story.

Replied By: kathleen27 on Jul 3, 2012, 7:25PM - In reply to kemmr14
I was very taken with the Show.  The forgiveness was amazing, though not everyone could do that.  While I realize that Alcoholics do suffer from Black Outs, I disagree that this was "time served".  Cases of non-violent Marijuans offenses, where no weapons were involved, have prisoners serving 90 years for crimes with no victims.  Half of these people were high during their crimes, which did not come CLOSE to murder.

Showing 1-10 of total 97 Comments