Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

On November 4, former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was indicted by a grand jury on 40 counts of alleged sexual crimes against young boys. According to grand jury testimony, eight boys were targeted by Sandusky between 1994 and 2009, and more alleged victims have since reportedly stepped forward. The scandal has rocked the entire city of State College, PA, brought down top school officials and coaches -- including legendary head coach Joe Paterno -- and has left everyone wondering: How many boys may have fallen victim to Sandusky's alleged sexual abuse? What did others actually know and were crimes covered up? Despite mounting reports, 67-year-old Sandusky maintains his innocence, calling any physical contact with young boys "horseplay." But do eyewitnesses see it differently? Dr. Phil delves into one of the most high-profile cases of alleged sexual abuse in history. Parents, don't let your child fall prey to a predator. Find out the warning signs you need to look out for.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: settheexample on Jul 23, 2013, 9:37PM - In reply to ableza
HAVE YOU NOTICED IT IS GETTING WORSE.  CHILD TRAFFICING, HAS BEEN AROUND.  I LOOKED AT THIS GIRLS, "PHONE BOOK" IT HAD GLOBEL NUMBERS IN IT.  YOU COULD FIND WOMEN WHO HAVE BABIES FOR SACRIFICE, OR A WIZARD, ALL THIS WEIRD STUFF AND SHE SAID, THAT WAS THE ONLY PHONE BOOK, SHE USED.  SHE WAS BROUGHT UP IN THE OCCULT.

Replied By: settheexample on Jul 23, 2013, 9:29PM - In reply to carnutswife
THANK YOU, FOR BEING HONEST.  I HATE YOU HAD SO MUCH PAIN.  I CAN RELATE TO MOST OF IT.  I STILL AM BELIEVING GOD FOR A LOVING, UNDERSTANDING MATE.
  I STILL ADVOCATE FOR MOTHERLESS, FATHERLESS CHILDREN, HOPE TO BECOME A FOSTER MOM

Replied By: settheexample on Jul 23, 2013, 9:20PM - In reply to muphouse
I TOTALLY AGREE.  I MARRIED A MAN, WHO WAS MOLESTED FROM AGE 9=14YEARS OLD, AND HE CAME FROM A WEALTHY FAMILY, AND MANY MARRIED AFFLUENT SPOUSES.  THE CHILD HAD NO ONE TO TELL, NOT EVEN AN ANGRY DAD WHO TOLD, HIM, "WHAT HAQPPENS AT HOME STAY AT HOME"  HE EVEN WENT TO HIS GRANDMOTHER WHO WAS LIVING IN KENTUCKY AND THE OTHER DAUGHTERS WHO HAD 8, CONVINCED THE GRANDMOTHER TO SEND HIM HOME THAT NEIGHBORS MIGHT TALK!  SO AT FORTEEN YEARS OLD, HE TOOK A SHOTGUN AND HOLD IT UPSIDE DOWN TRIED TO BLOW HIS HEART OUT, WHEN HE PULLED THE TRIGGER, IT SLIPPED AND IT HIT HIS STOMACH, BLEW HIS STOMACH AND ENTIRER INTESTIONAL OUT.  HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL, FOR 6-9 MONTHS, THIS STEPDAD, CAME TO THE HOSPITAL, AND GAVE THE BOY HEAD!  THE PSYCHIATRIST, DEEMED HIM OBESSESED WITH HIS MOM, SINCE THEY HAD LIVED ALONE FOR  MANY YEARS, AFTER DAD LEFT MOM, FOR A YOUNGER WOMAN, AND WHEN HE GOT HOME, HE TRIED IT ALL OVER AGAIN.  AFTER WE MARRIED, AND THE STORY WAS TOLD ME, HIS SISTER ENDED UP CONFESSING HE WAS MOLESTING HER BUT SHE NEVER TOLD, AND TODAY AT 40 IS STILL LIVING LIFE AS A LESBIAN.  MY DAUGHTER WAS MOLESTED AT 2 1/2  WHILE IN THE CARE OF HIS MOTHER AND WHEN WE GOT HELP FOR OUR DAUGHTER AND INSISTING THE FAMILY GET INTO THERAPY, SHE VOWED,I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL I DESTORY YOU FOR YOU HAVE DESTORYED ME AND MY FAMILY.  THIS WOMAN UP UNTIL RECENTLY MOVED BACK OUT OF STATE, SHE KEPT CONTACT WITH MY BOSS ON MY JOB, WHO MY HUSBAND KEPT TELLING ME HE WAS HITTING ON HIM, AND I HAVE HAD FALSE ALLEGATIONS, THAT I ATTACKED MY BOSS, AND TOOK A GASH OUT OF HER HAND AND THEY SUSPENDED ME FOR 3 DAYS WITHOUT PAY, NO PROFF, AND MARKED THROUGH TIME I HAVE SIGNED IN AND OUT AND TOOK UP TO 500.00, I WORK FOR A STATE ORGANIZATION, AND I HAVE CONTACTED EVEN A STATE REPRESENTATIVE WHO WOULD DO NOTHING AND NOW I AM BEING FORCED OUT OF MY JOB, AFTER 32 YEARS. THIS EX-MOTHERINLAW, SERVED ME WITH COURT FILED A HARRASSMENT AND STALKING CHARGE ON ME AFTER I WENT TO PICK UP MY GRAND BABY, AND SHE CAME TO THE DOOR THE DUPLEX DARK AND SHE WAS PUTTING ON HER BRA, THE BABY CRAWLING IN THE HALLWAY AND I ASKED HER DID YOU GET OUT OF THE SHOWER, HER RESPONSE"NO WE THE BABY AND I, JUST GOT UP OUT OF BED, THE BABY WAS 9MONTHS OLD.  MY EXHUSBAND DIED FROM DURG TOXCITY, FROM PRESCRIBED, ANDSHE FILED A WRONGFUL DEATH, AND I TRIED TO FOR MY 12YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, AND LEVITT&LEVITT ATTORNEYS, ENDED LETTING THE SECRETARY GO AFTER GIVING ME POWER OF ATTORNEY, TO OBTAIN MEDICAL RECORDS.  SHE WORKED FOR THEM FOR 25 YEARS.  TELL ME THIS IS NOT A CONNECTED SICK BUNCH OF PEOPLE.  SHE NEVER MARRIED A COLBY, BUT CHANGED HER NAME STARTED USING IT  AND WON THE LAW SUIT ABOUT 1 1/2 AGO. FOR  2MILLION DOLLARS, IN GA.
.  HOW DO PEOPLE LIVE WITH THEMSELVES? WHY DO WE THE INNOCENT SUFFER?  HER DAUGHTER NEVER GOT COUNSELING BUT LIVES LIFE AS SHE HAS CHOSEN.  PRECIOUS BABIES HAD NO ONE TO TRUST, NO ONE TO ADVOCATE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replied By: strine on Nov 27, 2012, 11:48PM - In reply to brownie4life
Paterno was also guilty of doing nothing. He knew and he did nothing. He knew the police weren't toldm he knew the guy was still taking kids to the showers and he still did nothing. I'm sorry, but I teach my kids that if they know something bad is going on and they do nothing, they are just as bad as the person doing it.

Replied By: wnba123 on Nov 21, 2011, 4:08AM
Both Dr. Phil and Franco Harris sitting here defending a man (or one of the men I should say) that knew what was happening and did nothing was just sick. It's impossible that Joe Paterno went up the chain of command and did what he was supposed to do. He was part of the chain of command and he knew what was going on and did nothing just like the assistant that saw a child getting raped by Sandusky (Common sense would have said call the cops and skip the college at that time). The only person I agreed with on the show was Heath Evans, who by the way was only on for about two minutes if that. They spent more time allowing Franco Harris to defend a man who knew what was going on and did not do all he could. That's why he said "I should have done more," because he should have. And then the student body president was obviously sent by someone at Penn State to preserve its sorry image and make up for the fact that they sided with Sandusky first before helping the victims. Heath Evans was right on and he should have gotten more time to talk. He was the only one with any sense. Dr. Phil, normally I agree with you, but this...was all wrong.

Replied By: nadia2000red on Nov 20, 2011, 12:10PM
 Joe Paterno actually says he regrets his actions--THIS IS A GOOD THING, FRANCO! It means Joe Pa realizes his wrongdoing. Why does Franco feel the need to come in and 'save the day' for a contrite Joe Pa?? What's the deal, Franco?? Is it wrong for a person to be held accountable for not protecting children?? I'm not saying Joe Pa is evil and cannot be forgiven. He's human and he's man enough to admit he made a mistake---now Franco has to rush in and basically spit in the face of the victims by trying to defend his idol. Joe Pa is not God, and he doesn't need your blind defense of him. If you want to rescue someone, go to your local SPCA or city adoption shelters or adopt a child.

Replied By: baby_rn on Nov 19, 2011, 10:15PM
How does being a good coach excuse a man from looking the other way when he knows children are being abused?  How does that man look at himself in the mirror every day knowing that his inactions allowed other children to be hurt?  Forget about what the bare minimum legal obligations were.  What were the moral obligations that were owed by McQueary and Paterno to the children?  So many people failed these kids.  It just makes me sick that people are still making excuses for ALL of those involved at Penn State in the cover up.

Replied By: cassadel18 on Nov 19, 2011, 6:58PM - In reply to brownie4life
brownie4life is upset that Paterno is getting blasted for not stepping up to the plate and doing everything in his power to stop a child predator from destroying untold lives....  First: no man is above the law (moral or legal) simply because he was a great coach and inspiration to others.  Do not place any mortal man on a pedestal because no mortal man is perfect and he will eventually fall off that pedestal... as we are now seeing at Penn State.

If Paterno is an untouchable "saint/coach/god" -- then why didn't he use his "saint/coach/god" influence and power with the University and complain to the powers that be that Sandusky is a child predator and needs to be removed from society, not just the University?  Why didn't he simply "do the right thing" and report ALL THE INCIDENCES OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE to the police instead of remaining silent after it was clear NOBODY WAS GOING TO TURN IN SANDUSKY????  Surely this "hero" this "titan" of college football could have acted like a genuine hero and taken the matter into his own hands to stop the rampant abuse occuring in his own gym!  He could have said to his superiors:  "Not in my gym...!!!"  He could have had the courage to go over the powers that be and said "Not while I'm still breathing on this field will I have an adult that rapes children on my watch!"  Coulda, shoulda, woulda -- a thousand regrets later... and untold lives destroyed...

Isn't football a game of strength, courage and power?  Obviously, those who did nothing and buried their heads in the sand or looked the other way had no strength, courage or power, except in their childish and selfish desire "to win."  Whether that be financially, to keep their own jobs, keep the status quo or just to keep "winning."  Now everyone loses. 

We all need to remember that when we are confronted with tough choices, we must think only one thought and CHOOSE WHAT IS IN THE HIGHEST GOOD FOR ALL...  Nobody did that and now everyone must suffer.  What you give out in this world, you get back tenfold...  We are truly seeing this at Penn State.

Replied By: boosdee2 on Nov 19, 2011, 5:53PM
Dr. Phil:
     I just wanted to take the time to thank you for discussing the disturbing allegations surrounding Jerry Sandusky.  I will tell you that I am a very proud Penn State alumni, and that will never change.  I am, also, a HUGE fan of Joe Paterno and the Penn State football team, but I can assure you that I am disgusted at the sexual abuse that is alleged to have been perpetrated by Mr. Sandusky!!!!  I cannot even fathom the fact that this was allowed to go on for so long!!!  I am saddened to learn that it was more important for grown men to protect the reputation of an institution over the welfare of innocent children!!!  I feel for the parents who trusted their children to be in the presence of an alleged rapist, but I feel most strongly for the innocent victims!!!  I can assure you that they were terrified, not only by what was happening to them at the hands of a trusted member of society, but they most assuredly were scared to death at the prospect of going head -to- head with a man who had seemingly done so much for troubled youth.  It, honestly, breaks my heart!!!
    Although I know that the whole thing was handled dispicably, if it can be considered handled at all, but I just want to ask that the focus goes back to nailing Sandusky to the wall and putting him away for life!!!  I cannot believe how the focus is now centering around Joe Pa and what should happen to the rest of the football season and McQueary, etc.  For me this is doing a disservice to the victims because this monster is still out walking amongst the masses.  I could NOT believe that his bail was lowered from $500,000 to $100,000 by a judge who has connections with the Second Mile charity that Scumdusky started.  These victims are getting one more slap in the face with the fact that he was allowed out on reduced bail.
     I can assure you that I agree with the fact that Joe Pa should have done more than he allegedly did, but I, also, feel that it is a fact that, in his day, sexual abuse was not talked about.  This, in no way, excuses the fact that more was not done at the time because I would hope that, faced with a similar situation, Mr. Sandusky would NOT have left that shower a whole man if I had witnessed this act, but Paterno's good and moral life cannot be erased because of one horrible lack of action.  I know that this will not be a popular opinion, but it is my opinion nonetheless. 
    Thank you, again, Dr. Phil, for bringing the focus back to the monster who took advantage of parents and children who trusted him!!!  Shame on you, Sandusky!!!!!!

Replied By: dnd125 on Nov 19, 2011, 5:29PM
As a Penn State grad and employee, I think Dr. Phil did a great job of finally bringing the focus of this issue back onto the victims. I'm disgusted by how many people are completely blinded by their loyalty to Paterno and see him as infallible. The man made a mistake, and although I think he is unfairly being focused on too much and receiving too much of the blame for what happened, he should have done more to provide a voice for the children who had no one to speak out for them.

I am more than proud of my University and what it stands for, and could not have more wonderful things to say about it. The disgusting actions and negligence of a select group of people should not blacken the reputation of a world class university like Penn State. Kudos to Dr. Phil for reminding people of that.

We should all stop feeling sorry for a man who failed to act, however great his accomplishments and contributions to Penn State up to this point have been, and start feeling sorry for the eight (and potentially dozens more) children who were victimized. Please people, let's get our priorities straight.

Showing 1-10 of total 103 Comments