Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

Is your husband controlling, verbally abusive or a chauvinist who refuses to help around the house? Three wives say they’ve had enough of their spouse’s bad behavior and are checking in to the Dr. Phil House in a last-ditch effort to save their marriages. Jennifer says she already filed for divorce because of her husband, Greg’s, temper and refusal to help with household chores and their 8-month-old baby. Kim says her husband, Mike, is abusive, degrading and controlling. Tatiana says she can’t do anything without her husband, Gabriel, telling her how to do it and is tired of the fighting. But, as Dr. Phil says, “No matter how flat you make a pancake, there is always two sides.” Are these women contributing to the downfall of their marriages? In this intensive workshop, the couples confront their issues head on, performing experiments designed to demonstrate their spouse’s viewpoint, examine the mistakes they’ve made and with any luck, possibly even rediscover what made them fall in love. Don’t miss Part 2 of this three-part series!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mrbean5411 on Dec 8, 2011, 9:48AM - In reply to nikita14576
That is very typical of Dr. Phil (along with most mainstream media). The male is always the perpetrator and the female is always the victim.

Dr. Phil will NEVER get it! And he never reads these boards because he doesn't acknowlege the kind of comments that I am making. Like he says, "you can't fix what you don't acknowlege". 

Dr. Phil only believes that men should not hit women. His rationale is because men have a physical advantage over women. He says when a man hits a woman it is abuse. When a women hits a man it is a "relationship" issue. Unreal!

The ironic thing here is that I believe that Dr. Phil's message actually hurts women. Since he holds men to a higher standard (never hit a woman) than women (it's okay to hit a man) many women feel it is okay to get in a man's face and verbally and physically assault them and expect no consequence. Unfortunately, many men would get angry and "lose it" and subsequently harm a women.

If women were held to the same standard as men (Never Hit Anyone), I believe that domestic violence would be greatly reduced in this world.

In domestice violence cases, the woman is always the victim even though government statistics show that it is approximately 50-50.

We need to start treating men and women equally when it comes to domestic violence.

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 10:09PM - In reply to royulty
Don't call people who have faith in God "bible thumpers", okay?

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 10:07PM - In reply to brooke1523
All these women were stupid, immature and idiots to go through with a marriage with these poor excuses of men. Oh, then when things get really bad and the abuse really starts they let themselves have children with them. Women...get a clue!!

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 10:00PM - In reply to sallypool
Umm..maybe that's because that's what the show was all about.

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 9:58PM - In reply to canddwallace
I agree. They sound like 10 year olds. And to think that they're raising children!

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 9:56PM - In reply to royulty
I think it's okay to go to bed mad at each other. Give's you each time. By morning things usually look better.

Replied By: dlsoda on Nov 28, 2011, 9:44PM - In reply to bilgeez
Any reason is a good reason to turn to God for comfort and guidance. He just needs to respond to it like and adult and not a immature child. Maybe he should join her in her new found beliefs, or just be supportive and loving or let her use religion to feel better about herself to fill that void in her heart that she so desperately needs. How dare him demand her to stop turning to God, or else. What a fool.

Replied By: amberalexa on Nov 27, 2011, 12:18AM - In reply to patti321
I was thinking the exact same thing.  About the oral sex.

Replied By: etherial on Nov 25, 2011, 1:00PM - In reply to not5150
Mike was very rude and insensitive.  I understand his feelings about the marriage because it has changed so drastically.  In my opinion, she's over done it with religion.  I'm a Christian, I pray, etc.  I do it when I need to, and if he's bothered by it in his presence, go somewhere else.  I think he's a whiney jerk of a baby who feels like he's lost control somewhere and obviously needs to leave the marriage because from actions and audio, it sounds like he doesn't even like her.  She can find someone else, someone better and Christian who doesn't mind prayer and religion.  He can go be with a floozy prostitute who doesn't mind doing certain actions his wife won't do.  I'm sure she feels like he's changed.  They've been together for 20 years?  Yeah, people do change.  They realize the marriage may not be what they had to begin with.  It's called maturity.  People want different things as they get older.  I've been married for almost 12 years.  My husband just informed me he wants to be "free" to be a bachelor again, yet still be married.  (He doesn't like the upgraded responsibility of family life.  He would rather do what he wants.)  I told him bachelorhood was an easy choice to make...if he didn't want to be married anymore and partake in that responsibility, then let me know.  I can make that an easy change for him.  But am I going to let him play video games all day when we have an 11 yo who has tutoring sessions and dr. appts, and dental appts?  Just because you want to be a bachelor doesn't stop you from your adult responsibilities.  It's time to grow up Mike.  If you don't like it, leave.

Replied By: bilgeez on Nov 24, 2011, 8:04PM - In reply to miasmommi
I think you're correct, they were paying more attention to the messenger than to the message. But I think they could have gotten some less attractive women to talk with them. I too was like; "yeah these women don't know what it's like to live like most people." Esp when that one woman said: "i've been a prosecutor for 17 years and I would have put your ass in jail." to Mike. I'm pretty open-minded, but a comment like that would have turned me off, I'm sure Mike, in his immature mind, was totally turned off by that comment, simply because a woman said it. These there guys feel threatened by women, that is why they are so machista, the pre-emptively take control so not to lose any. I bet these three guys had over-bearing mothers and are just taking it out on their wives. None of them will stay together, cuz they all are so immature. They all have crutches and all are self-centered. They need to quit the adversarial attitude and start working together, as so many have commented here.

Showing 1-10 of total 81 Comments