Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/28/11) Some moms may be young at heart, but what happens when they refuse to grow up? Thirty-seven-year-old Susanna says she loves competing in beauty pageants alongside her 18-year-old daughter, Victoria. But Victoria says she resents her mom for stealing her moments to shine, especially when Susanna wears her gowns, scores higher points from the judges and wins the pageant. The teen says she wishes her mom could just be happy for her and honor her achievements — instead of competing against her. Should Susanna step out of her daughter’s spotlight? Then, Karen says that age is only a number, because at 55, she feels like she’s in her 20s. The mom says she borrows her daughter’s sexy dresses and skin-tight jeans, and parties with her until the early morning hours. Her daughter, Liz, 22, says Karen tags along when she goes out and is crowding her. And, Tasha, 37, admits she’s obsessed with her high school memories and likes to attend proms for grown-ups. Tasha’s son, David, a high school senior, says he’s embarrassed by his “wingmom” who is planning his prom and throwing and attending his pre-prom party. Can Dr. Phil teach these moms to express their free spirit without cramping their children’s style?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nee2bug on Dec 29, 2011, 12:42PM
I watched your show with the Moms who didn't want to give up their youth.  I agree that they shouldn't do it at the expense of their kids, but do we really have to let ourselves get old?   

I definitely feel like a twenty something even in my 50's.  I don't know many younger people who can keep up with me.  I run every other day, go to the gym on Sunday and play soccer once a week.  None of the kids on my soccer team have any clue how old I am.  

I do not feel at all normal.  I can't understand people my age who, the majority of, seem like old foggies to me.  There do not seem to be any groups around with people like me, which makes me feel I'm an odd one out.  I would so love to meet people like me because I seem to intimidate "normal" people my age.  I like young music and adventurous things to do and don't let anything stand in my way.  

I have a wonderful daughter who admires me.  She has her own talents and we don't usually do the same physical activities.  I support her in anything she does.  

Anyway I feel very lost and alone because I'm not even a bit like anyone I've ever known.  Yikes!

Replied By: alfer007 on Dec 29, 2011, 7:36AM
Now I have heard it all. Reminded me of a scene from "Mommie Dearest". Mom is so caught-up in her OWN limelight there isn't room for anyone else! Get a grip-you should NOT be competing against your own daughter EVER! Find your own pageants if you NEED the attention. You are a beautiful woman but you DO NOT look like a teenager---so get over it. Be a mother to your daughter.

Replied By: elizabeth930 on Dec 28, 2011, 7:07AM - In reply to tiann58
Well said Mom.  I wish my mother would have taken an interest in the things I was involved in and supported me in any way.  I learned how NOT to parent from her so my children have been a blessing to me as I feel sure you will agree. All children should be cherished, supported and loved unconditionally by their parents.

Replied By: elizabeth930 on Dec 28, 2011, 6:46AM
I think the partying 55 yr old bothered me the most.  She didn't appear to have any insight about what she was doing.  Yes, she can be a friend to her daughters.  I am a friend to both of my daughters, ages 20 and 25 but they know that first and foremost that I'm their Mother.  They look to me for guidance and advice.  They'd be horified if I left the home dressed like this mother.  Yes, she looks great for her age but I've kept myself in good shape and at 58, look 10 yrs younger than my age.  I've never had any plastic surgery to do so, it just runs in my family, thank goodness :).  Where I live, when a woman of this age dresses like a teen or twenty something the jokes begin the moment she hits the door.  My daughters will let me know if something I decide to wear doesn't fit my age and I appreciate that about them.

Prom Mom just needs to get a clue IMO.  She had her HS prom and at 37, it's time to give it up.  If she wants to feel pretty, go out dancing and even wear a crown if that floats her boat but don't spoil her son's Prom.  It didn't appear that she had any insight that what she wanted to do was going to ruin what should be one of the best memories of her son's HS years.  Our daughters would have been mortified if we showed up as chaperones at any of their dances.  We were asked by other parents but politely declined.  The HS our daughters attended had a Promenade where parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and such could go and watch the couple be introduced and walk across a stage to air horns, loud cheers and clapping from the family.  Instead of doing this, we invited relatives over to the house to take pictures before they left for THEIR big night.  When they were in the 10th and 11th grade we knew that their dates didn't have the money to take them to a fancy restaurant.  We offered to cook a nice meal for them.  We'd set up the dining room as nice as any restaurant, cook them steaks on the grill with all the trimmings, serve them and then left them alone. 

Pageant Mom needs to support her daughter and be there for her as Dr. Phil said.  If pageants are so important to this mother she should find ones that she ALONE can enter instead of competing with and against her daughter.

Replied By: jillwe on Dec 27, 2011, 7:27PM
Parenting is not a competition!  It's a sacrafice!  Don't compete with your daughter!  Let her have her youth.  It's not her fault that you missed yours.  It's not her fault that you made bad choices and became a parent too young.  You should have lived your youth in your youth; not now!  Too bad if her plans don't fit into yours.  You should be supporting her.  Appreciate the fact that she wants you to stand beside her!  Find your own niche!

Replied By: tiann58 on Dec 27, 2011, 6:55PM
I was at work and couldn't respond earlier, but these Moms just blew me away!  Who are they kidding?  They're trying to live THROUGH their children, not with them.  You had your child when you were just a child and feel cheated?  That's not YOUR child's fault!  They shouldn't have to pay for your decisions.  Every one of these Moms was interested in what made THEM happy -- not how miserable they were making their children.  To say "I don't want to see my child cry, but. . ." screams "but if it's my child or me, I'm going to have MY way, no matter how my child feels."  If you get your child involved in an activity in order to boost their self-esteem, then smack them down in their own arena, sends the message loud and clear -- "Get over it kid, 'cause it's all about ME now!"  I thank God I had a mother who promoted, loved and supported us, her children, rather than herself.

Replied By: barbiebb2004 on Dec 27, 2011, 5:54PM
My message to this mom, and any other mom who wants to be included in their children's parties/dating is...........get a life! Let them have their memories. You need to make your own.

Replied By: ivette46 on Dec 27, 2011, 5:08PM - In reply to kelnnh
I DID RECOGNIZE THAT THESE MOMS ARE SCREAMIMG FOR ATTENTION...IT REALLY WASN'T ABOUT THE KIDS BUT THIER OWN ISSUES OF HOW THEY PROBABLY DID NOT GET TO LIVE THIER OWN YOUTH. LIKE I HAVE TOLD MY OWN FOR MANY YEARS ,TAKE TIME TO ENJOY YOUR YOUTH AND DON'T RUSH TO BE AN ADULT,ONCE AN ADULT,THAT IS IT!!!

Replied By: ivette46 on Dec 27, 2011, 5:03PM
I HAD MY DAUGHTERS AT A VERY YOUNG AGE (17) ,NEVER DID I WANT TO DRESS OR ACT NOR HANG WITH THEM NOR THIER FRIENDS. I RESPECT THIER SPACE AND I WISH THEY WOULD MINE,WHICH ACTUALLY IS THE BIGGER PROBLEM. THEY DON'T GIVE ME MY SPACE. THEY SHOULD MAKE A SHOW WHERE ACTUALLY THE KIDS DON'T SEEM TO GROW UP AND LEAVE THIER PARENTS TO BREATH AND MOVE ON. MY KIDS ARE NOW 28 AND 24.

Replied By: renagade on Dec 27, 2011, 4:38PM
You are fantastic - I wish that know it all wouldn't have put you down.  How you described yourself is who you are - ye cain't change that no matter what he says.  I also could tell that you are a supportive and loving mom to your daughter.

You have that Pazzz that is needed for what you are interested in - Now what you have to do is instill that which you already have in your daughter.  Keep up the good work.

Showing 1-10 of total 137 Comments