Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/11/11) In 1996, Tanya was a vulnerable 14-year-old from a broken home and the perfect target for the school security guard who she says stalked, befriended and later convinced her to run away with him. What followed was 10 years of captivity in a tiny bedroom on the top floor of her captor’s parents’ house. Less than two miles from her own father’s home, Tanya says she was sexually abused daily, brainwashed to believe that no one cared and convinced that if she tried to escape, she would be killed. Now 29 and rebuilding her life, Tanya’s story is told in the book, Memoir of a Milk Carton Kid, which she co-authored with her former lawyer and confidant, Lawrence Fisher. In an exclusive two-part series, Dr. Phil delves deep inside the story of this young woman’s troubled childhood, her captivity at the hands of a manipulative sex offender and her triumphant return to freedom. How did this predator choose his prey, and what do parents need to know to keep their children safe? Warning: this episode contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion is advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: dulcinea1992 on Jul 3, 2012, 6:45PM
I too went with my uncle who had raped me since I was 5. At age 10 I liked the attention he gave me, even thought it was sexual and inappropriate. 15 we started dating and her mom even took me to Acapulco and did not tell my mom that he was going. We had sex there, and when we got back and had more sex. I was promiscuous because of the rape as a youngster.  Then at age 17, I had no place to go and I went to his mom’s house. We soon had a "relationship" where I cannot leave, ate mostly nothing, sodomized, raped, and beaten severely. He said that he would pour acid on my face if I ever left. I left after a year and a half.  I did not stay 10 years, because I have a VERY different personality. I am a very strong woman, kind, but strong. I have done things to save other women that others get mad because of the danger I put myself in. If I could I would have put him in jail for the rest of his life, but that was Mexico, and if you do not have evidence, hard to convict him.

I am not writing a book, but I do try to help women that are prostituted or trafficked.

I am furious that they did not put him on trial just because "it would be too harmful for the victim" Now the sociopath has a hearing for parole on 2014 (he just had one Feb. 2012). Only 15 years. I would have fought so this man never goes out and hurts another human.

The difference between Tanya and I (I did not see the second part of the show)
A) She was shy, I am not ( I read that the father said that about her). I am extroverted.
B) She complied. I also did but I knew I had hope and I would leave, I also fought him more and that is why I got so severely beaten and she did not. I do not want anyone to control and abuse me.
C) She was broken like a horse, I was not, I had a fire and I knew I had to go. That this man was crazy and so what if my mom and nobody wanted me, I will fight! If I am on the streets I will fight for my freedom.

Why did she comply? Survival. She had to do what he said if not she would be the victim of a homocide. Also at first she needed male attention.

Why did she not leave? Survival. There is no way you can leave if you believe you will get killed.

Why did it take her so long? Survival. She had to change her thinking and have the guts to tell someone. She did not even have the guts to leave so she did the next best thing. That takes courage.

Where is the deception? I think. The parents did know. There is no way she was quiet all the time and that the boy was able to keep quiet all those years. She is trying to protect the parents. That is all.

I pray that you, TANYA get involved in helping with Sex Slaves, and you know that young women are being prostituted. Yes, these girls are like us, who have been hurt since a very young age and we rebel. We run away from the abuse and usually sexual abuse, so the pimp will love them and then prostitute them. Most start at age 12.

One of the signs of a sociopath is to find and get a WILLING victim. They will do that as their main goal and he and my uncle are very good at it. They are charming until they get you and then POW, you are in a little room and imprisoned without chains or lock. Like an elephant with a tiny chain holding him.

I pray that I was respectful to all of you who disagree with my statement and have a different opinion.
 Eph 4:29.

Jesus loves us all and I pray that my actions can help others live a life to help others. I pray to have compassion towards the hurting and now to throw any stones.

Replied By: sully0002 on Jul 2, 2012, 6:45AM - In reply to salavanti
If you believe for one second that a 14 year old girl would willingly place herself in a horrifying situation like that or had the ability to leave you're a complete idiot. She was a child looking for something good in an already bad home situation. Predators look for children like she was because they KNOW they can be manipulated. As you should have heard on the show that once she was taken she stopped emotionally maturing so in reality she was still a mentally a child at the age of 24. You can't expect a child to know what to do in a situation like that regardless of how long they've been in that situation.
I'd also like to point out from personal experience that it is amazing what can become "normal" and "comforting" to a person. I'm not comparing my situation to that of a kidnap victim but being in the military I have been in a lot of terrible places, seen a lot and had to do terrible things to survive. My every day routine would have made most people kill themselves if they were just thrown into it but it became normal and my plywood hooch was my home, my comfort zone. I actually started to refer to it as home whille still hating everything about the place and situation I was in.. You begin looking for small comforts and following the same routines because you know it's "safe" and those become your norms and life becomes about making it thru the current day. There is no tomorrow or yesterday.. I completely understand how she remained there for 10 years. Time doesn't pass the same way when you're in a place like that.

Replied By: mrswhite253 on Jul 2, 2012, 6:04AM
For those of you who couldnt find the link with the address for the Parole Review I found an update at the end of the episodes transcript.

Update: According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Thomas was denied parole in February 2012 and will be eligible again in 2014.

Replied By: jordanleamilla on Jul 1, 2012, 2:20PM
I'm a young girl and to hear this about you makes me really sad. I watched the whole show and to see how much support you have from some people is incredible. It almost doesn't even seem real to me because when I think about a creepy old guy talking me into going with him I wouldn't, but he fooled you and talked you into going with him to live a better life. I totally understand why you didn't run away. It was for your own safety. I am giving you ALL my support and I hope that through the years times will become better. I hope your body heals and that you emotionally and physically heal also. There is tons of people out there that are hoping you'll get better and that you stay strong. I thank your fiance and his kids for being there for you also. Can't forgot your grandma. Stay strong and hang in there!!!!

Replied By: rrhaegold on Jun 29, 2012, 3:08PM - In reply to salavanti
Fourteen year old girls are fearless and too many of them that come from bad home situations get themselves in way above their heads. They are over exposed and under supervised. Her behavior at school is a pretty good indicator she was headed for big trouble. She was victimized by sex offender. But I'm not convinced she didn't stay until she was ready to leave. The guy deserved to be in the pen, but Tanya doesn't seem like some of the other little girls this happened to.

Replied By: rrhaegold on Jun 29, 2012, 2:42PM
I just can not believe that she could not get away from this guy in 10 years! She was 14 when her took her and that makes him a sex offender and criminal. It also means she's not to blame for any of it, but it's hard for me to see her as a total victim.

Replied By: salavanti on Jun 29, 2012, 12:33PM - In reply to ikolekt
This occurred in the Pittsburgh area.........many people in the area questioned how she could be kept in the same town ....McKeesport......where she lived........for ten years ........and she left the house many times but did not escape.......

I live in the Pittsburgh area and read all the newspaper accounts....... 

she could have just walked  out of the house or made noise for the parents......

as other people have said.....something fishy.

Replied By: ikolekt on Jun 28, 2012, 6:34PM - In reply to rmjorg
I agree with you.

Replied By: ikolekt on Jun 28, 2012, 6:34PM - In reply to rmjorg
I agree with you.

Replied By: ikolekt on Jun 28, 2012, 6:30PM - In reply to chrissyrich
Maybe she's trying to sell a book.

Showing 1-10 of total 96 Comments