Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/12/11) In part two of her emotional interview with Dr. Phil, Tanya, a young woman who says she was held captive and abused for more than 10 years by a sex offender, shares the intimate details of her horrifying ordeal. How did she survive in such a confined space? And, perhaps the question on everyone's mind: Why didn't she run? Now 29, Tanya says she's telling her story as a cautionary tale to parents and young, vulnerable girls everywhere. Hear what she feels made her susceptible to her captor’s seduction, whom she blames, and how she finally found the courage to disclose her true identity and break free from his clutches. And, after only five years in prison, Tanya's captor is eligible for parole, and she says she fears if he gets released, he’s going to kill her. Warning: this episode contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion is advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: dreamj on Jun 29, 2012, 10:26PM
There are no words to describe how I feel about this young woman's ordeal.  Her abductor should not be set free.  He stole ten years of her precious life and put her through a hell from which I doubt she will ever completely recover.

Yanya, if you have an opportunity to read this note, I am a 70 year old mother and grandmother, blessed with a wonderful son, first-class daughter-in-law and precious young grandson.  As I watched your interviews with Dr. Phil, I cried and wished I could be there to just hold you tight and tell you I care.  It is so heart warming to know you are with a man who loves and supports you.  There are many good people in this world  and it sounds as though you have connected with a few.  Hang in there young lady, you are a brave and beautiful soul.

Much love and may God bless you and keep you safe and in good health.

Joan L
British Columbia, Canada

Replied By: dianalovescars on Jun 29, 2012, 10:04PM
I don't think that any of this is her fault.  I know personally that children are so scared that iit is true that they will not run away because of fear.  People like this predator just take advantage of children and use their discussing perverted ways to trap, scare, brain wash.  This poor child/woman was abused and I find it hard to fathom that anyone would say it was her fault.  Thank You Jesus that she got away!

Replied By: lkellysask on Jun 29, 2012, 9:35PM
After watching DR.Phil tonight and seeing Tanya`s storry. My heart really went out to her.  I was five years old when I was molested and no one truly understands what you go through.  It took me 27 years to finally have the courage to tell my parents that a family member had sexually molested me at the age of 5.  I `M NOT SURE IF THEY BELIEVE ME OR NOT.  BUT KNOW ONE CAN TRULY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH BUT YOU.  PAY NO ATTENTION TO THOSE NON EDUCATED IDIOTS THAT HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT  REALLY HAPPEND.  AS FOR TOM AND MY PREDATORS AND OTHER LIKE THEM, SINCE THERE IS NO DEATH PENALTY IN YOUR STATE OR MY COUNTRY.  I STONGLY AGREE THAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WALK FREE.  I HOPE THAT THIS WILL REACH THE PAROLE BOARD WHEN TOM BELIEVES HE IS UP FOR HIS FREEDOM.  THESE PREDATORS BELONG IN 6X6 FOOT CELLS JUST LIKE CAGED ANIMALS THAT THEY ARE.  TANYA ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND CONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING NUPTUALS. 
SINCERELY LKELLYSASK

Replied By: lkellysask on Jun 29, 2012, 9:21PM
AFTER WATCHING DR.PHIL`S SHOW TONIGHT ABOUT TANYA, MY HEART REALLY WENT OUT TO HER. i CRIED ALONG WITH HER.  I WAS 5 YEARS OLD WHEN A FAMILY MEMBER HAD SEXUALLY MOLESTED ME.  IT TOOK ME 27 YEARS TO FINALLY TELL ME PARENTS.  WHEN I DID I DON`T KNOW IF THE BELIEVE ME OR NOT.  TANYA ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SITUATION CAN TRULY UNDERSTAND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.  UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONFRONT MY PREDATOR, BUT KNOWING THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU OUT THERE GIVES ME HOPE THAT THESE DISGUSTING PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHT TO LIVE LIKE HUMAN BEINGS.  PRISON IS THE BEST PLACE FOR THEM.  IT IS MY HOPE THAT WHEN TOM IS UP FOR PAROLE THAT YOU CAN SUBMIT MY BLOG TO THEM.  TOM BELONGS IN HELL. SINCE THERE IS NO DEATH PENALTY IN YOUR STATE OR IN MY COUNTRY CANADA, THE NEXT BEST PLACE FOR HIM TO BE WOULD BE TO SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIVE IN A 6 X 6 FOOT JAIL CELL.  JUST LIKE A CAGED ANIMAL.  ALL THE BEST TO YOU TANYA AND CONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING NUPTUALS.  AND LIKE DR. PHIL SAID PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MORONS IN THIS WORLD

Replied By: justjlinn on Jun 29, 2012, 9:13PM
I watched both episodes twice..I record all of Dr. Phil for this reason so I can go back and rewatch things in case I missed something. The first episode I felt was sad and make me sick that someone could do that to another person. However, the second episode seemed very dramatic and not that what she went through is not sad, dont get me wrong, but a lot of things dont add up on psychological level. She claims that her capture would smoother her in her sleep, why is that a bad thing? I would rather die with a pillow over my face, than to get raped everyday, have to write it down, and sit in a small room all day with no food or water. She also said when she got out and people were rude to her, such as the woman who said she would slap her, Tanya said she asked the woman "what" and said "you dont know what i went through, you cant say that to me"....for someone who was stuck in a room for 10 years and felt afraid to talk, seems a bit odd that she would be willing to speak that way to someone. I think it was smart to say it, but just doesnt add up why she would say it with all that she went through. I do not blame her for what she went through, she was 14, thats not her fault, however, i just dont understand why she wouldnt fight all her might, especially since Dr. Phil said was a mouthy trouble maker....see my point??? There is so much to bring up, but I will end with this....when they show a slip of the news where she is having an interview with her father....she wasnt acting scared or anything, it was just very weird. I think that she wanted to be with Tom for awhile until things got really bad and then couldnt leave because she was scared. She endured a lot and I dont take that away from her, but after coming out after 10 years, it just seems a bit odd. I hope she is getting help she needs to live a normal life which seems she is getting, she seems to have her nails done and everything so apparently she isnt having a hard time with living in the world now. Hopefully that nasty man will be put in jail and kept there forever, or hell, take him out back and shoot him.

Replied By: jada61 on Jun 29, 2012, 8:28PM
I only caught the last 15 minutes or so of the second part of Tanya's story. 

Tanya was a young 14 year old girl and this was NOT her fault.  It is really sad that people cannot understand that, particularly her own family. 

When I was a teenager at 14, I had a terrible home life as well, although not as bad as some I'm sure.  My father was very verbally abusive.  I dated (if you can actually call it that) someone 10 years older then me, I also ran away with someone that was 21, when I was only 15.  He and his aunt convinced me to sneak out of my house one night, leaving my poor mother (my father was out of town on business).  He and his aunt (who was probably in her 40's or 50's) convinced me this was the right thing to do.  I did leave with them in the middle of this night and was taken a few hours away, then it was discussed that I would be taken to somewhere back east and this guy and I could get married.

I was told that there was an APB (all points bulletin) for me and this guy, by his sister.. To make a long story short.  My mother and my boss and his wife (I worked at a restaurant) drove several hours to come get me.  I remember I didn't want to go home but I surelyd didn't want to get married.  I was put in the car with the guy left standing there.  At the time my mother told me that she would agree that I could live with him just so I would go home.  Although, I was upset at the time, I am so very grateful that my mother took the steps she did to bring home.  I can only imagine what could have happened to me had I continued on this dangerous journey;

Today I am 50 years old, I have a wonderful husband and children. 

Looking  back at these experiences, thinking my home life was so terrible I know today it could have been much worse.  I have grown from these experiences and am mostly a well adjusted adult:)

I really hadn't thought about those teenage experiences for quite some time, but I sit here today, thinking that I could have been in the same position as Tanya.

Teenagers always look to there parents for approval, love and guidance.  If this is not being given at home they will look elsewhere.

I pray that Tanya will realize that none of this is her fault and if people blame her they are simply ignorant.

This is the first time that I have even spoken about this in quite a while, my husband and children don't even know of this.  They know bits and pieces but not the entire story. 

Good luck Tanya!

Replied By: cyarek on Jun 29, 2012, 8:19PM
Clearly, Tanya's captor is without conscience or morals. His crime has landed him in jail and he should stay there - for life. There will never be an effective atonement for the suffering Tanya Nicole Kach endured  - even 100-life sentences for him would not touch the debt owed her.

The Parole Board needs to assure society (parents and their children) and especially Tanya - that this horror story cannot and will not be replayed. The system failed her before - I beg you - do not fail her,
twice.

C. Yarek
Mississauga, Canada

Replied By: ladybride on Jun 29, 2012, 8:15PM
I was never abducted but I was brain washed and sexually abused by a minister from the age of 6 to the age of 12.  I was brainwashed into believing that in order to continue to receive the love from him that I did not get at home from my parents, I had to do things to him that no child should ever have to do.  I applaude Tanya for finally getting out of the situation she was in and getting the help that she needed to overcome this ordeal.

Replied By: aslanclaire on Jun 29, 2012, 7:56PM
Hi,I just decided I'd join after today's show affected me  so much.  I am surprised at the number of people  that don't believe Tanya.  Anybody remember Jaycee Lee Dugard or Elizabeth Smart?  She is not the only young person who believed her captors.  I was held "captive" by  a monster of a father and thought that was the world until I met friends.  I understand brainwashing.  I am still tryinng to cea away the taunting and tongue lashing he'd give me daily

And where is that letter  link?

Replied By: imamosaic on Jun 29, 2012, 7:29PM
Thank you for coming forward and trying to help (warn) others.  Who knows, you may have saved someone who hadn't heard of such things.

And Thank You for coming forward so we, the nameless people, who want to support you can write just a line or two and tell you what a strong beautiful woman you have become in spite of having to deal with the likes of Tom for ten years.

After hearing about Tom and how your father was not fit for the name father, you story has a real heroic element to it.  You have over come a lot, you have a lot to be proud of.  Don't listen to anyone ever that wants to put you down again.

Best wishes for you and Carl.   You deserve the very best.

Showing 21-30 of total 403 Comments