Twitter Facebook YouTube

2012 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/12/11) In part two of her emotional interview with Dr. Phil, Tanya, a young woman who says she was held captive and abused for more than 10 years by a sex offender, shares the intimate details of her horrifying ordeal. How did she survive in such a confined space? And, perhaps the question on everyone's mind: Why didn't she run? Now 29, Tanya says she's telling her story as a cautionary tale to parents and young, vulnerable girls everywhere. Hear what she feels made her susceptible to her captor’s seduction, whom she blames, and how she finally found the courage to disclose her true identity and break free from his clutches. And, after only five years in prison, Tanya's captor is eligible for parole, and she says she fears if he gets released, he’s going to kill her. Warning: this episode contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion is advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: greenie13 on Dec 18, 2012, 4:55AM
Well I doubt I'm going to make friends with this comment but I hate to say I think the ball was dropped with this show. I don't know how much investigating you all did on this story but it seems to me you just talked to Tanya and that was it? I felt guilty during the show. Guilty that I did not believe one word coming out of this girl's mouth. I don't know her, I have no reason not to believe her, yet from the moment she appeared on screen the hairs on my arms rose. I had to mute half the show the first time around because I could not listen to one more second of Dr Phil making her out to be a hero and making it sound like she had been thorough hell. After the show I did some of my own detective work and the amount of information I got simply from the web leaves me shocked that this show was aired with as little evidence as there seemed to be. Did the producers talk to anyone who was aquainted with Thomas, his son, were his parents contacted, anyone on the street where he lived, where he worked, shop owners? Maybe listen to what the Hose neighbours have to say about Tanya, the people who saw her everyday of her supposed disappearance, talk to the son who apparently can tell you exactly what she was like to live with. Or just look at message boards around the web and read the foul language coming out of Tanya's mouth (disguised under many usernames), the polar opposite of the person who was on your show.

I love Dr Phil but seeing this show really really annoyed me. Seeing how easily you were all sucked in. There was no stockholm syndrome, no fear of life, no being locked in or held against her will or anything close to those things here. Did no one even notice in the interview she said she was afraid he would hurt her or her family yet earlier she said she was led to believe she had no family anymore..that they didn't love or want her anymore. Come on!!!!

Sometimes when you scan the web and realize 95% of people disbelieve a story then you have to do some research as to why! Call me next time before you do another story like this, ok?!!

Replied By: mwouda on Nov 20, 2012, 6:32PM
I just saw part of this moving episode and support Dr Phils call to overwhelm the parole board with community outrage if this beast were allowed back in society without restriction. Tanya you are such a strong person to publically recall this torrid encounter and although I don't personally know you, it bought tears to my eyes as I was do proud to heyou how you have overcome this ordeal and completed your studies and found love. 

I wish you all the best and hope that this criminal remains behinds bars so that you and your family may continue your lives without fear.

Kind regards, 

M. Wouda

Replied By: efjek1992 on Sep 26, 2012, 11:08AM - In reply to markbrown
why shouldn't she?

Replied By: efjek1992 on Sep 26, 2012, 11:06AM
Hey Tanya,

I just saw the episode from dr.Phil and I just wanted to say that I think you are so brave to com on the show and share your story with everyone. I admire you for your courage and I am sure you have helped raise awarenes everywhere! You inspire me and the rest of the world.

lots of love,

Eva Breedveld (the Netherlands)

Replied By: hallieberry on Sep 21, 2012, 11:22AM
Thank you for being so strong Tonya. A friend of mine was kidnapped and held for 9 years but she didn't survive due to complications during childbirth, in fact that was how she was found finally, when asked to fill out the paper work at the hospital she put down her real name and her real information, at the bottom she asked them to call the police on the man who came in with her, and told the nurses that she was a kidnapping victim and that this man was her captor. He was convicted of kidnapping and capital murder and sentenced to death, but theyn eventually over turned the death sentence to life without, i am personnally glad he got life because of the torture she went through, now he has to go through it also.

Continue being strong for everyone around you and don't let what happened to you get you down.

Replied By: rachee555 on Jul 2, 2012, 6:50PM
What happened to Joe? He was the one who ultimately saved her by calling the police, but he wasn't there and I never heard him mentioned again. Did I miss it?

Replied By: rachee555 on Jul 2, 2012, 6:47PM
I would have thought Joe, the man who actually called the police would have been on the show or mentioned? Did I miss it? He ultimately is the hero!

Replied By: nixxyx on Jul 2, 2012, 11:47AM - In reply to mlcplus3
she did write a book.. memoires of a milk carton kid

Replied By: sanderella56 on Jul 1, 2012, 2:10PM
I am appalled at Tanya's treatment & confinement for 10 years but I did no not understand how she lived in that house for all that time with Tom being the pervert that he was yet not one person heard them having sex, orgasm's, cruel use of sex toys, cruel sex ?? How did his parents not ever hear something ? Were his parents ever charged with anything ? I suppose not if they didnt know she was living there. Some one please explain to me how how no one in that house heard a thing. Ever ?

Replied By: markbrown on Jul 1, 2012, 1:11PM
It;s strange she got herself a boyfriend after all she been throught.

Showing 1-10 of total 403 Comments