Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/05/11) From the outside, Mark and Karen seem to have the perfect all-American family, including a gorgeous home and three beautiful children. But on the inside, they say their world is crumbling as their 26-year-old daughter, Lane, a stunning former cheerleader, sinks further into the world of drug addiction, and her family struggles to save her and the child they say she's neglecting. Feeling hopeless and desperate, Lane’s sister, 28-year-old Malissa, wrote Dr. Phil for help. Her brother, Chase, says Lane will disappear for days at a time and is worried she's done the unthinkable to support her habit. And, just days before Lane was to appear on the show, she was arrested and incarcerated for allegedly harboring a fugitive. Now out on bail, Lane's cruise down life in the fast lane comes to an abrupt halt when recovering addict and former Dr. Phil guest, Brandon, and his mother, Debbie, stage an intervention alongside the family that says they fear for Lane's future and are resentful of the past. With her freedom and custody of her 3-year-old son at stake, Lane is now faced with a choice: get help or go back to jail. What will she decide? Will she be able to break the cycle of addiction? Don’t miss this emotional episode about addiction and the power of one family’s love to save one of its own.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: alyqat4 on Aug 6, 2013, 1:06PM - In reply to tvlover
We don't all relapse. I'll have 7 years clean and sober in December. Recovery is possible with God and otiose people in recovery supporting you.

Replied By: alyqat4 on Aug 6, 2013, 1:04PM - In reply to swemmel
Hmmm this may be true in certain cases but in my experience addicts continue to use against their will because the obsession and compulsion is so strong. I do believe in choices...but there is definitely powerlessness in addiction. Of course, I am Christian and therefore believe all humans who are "weak" as you describe us bring glory to God when we depend on Him. For His strength is made perfect in our weakness. No shame in that. We become strong thru our experiences. Everyone struggles with sin. All fall short.

As far as recovery is concerned....using this model based on 12 step principles I have seen many people get and staycay clean and sober. Anyone who says 12 step programs don't work has obviously never been to an NA world convention. It Works. 

Replied By: nybsbfan18 on Apr 3, 2013, 2:02PM
hi,

what happened to lane after the show? did she stay clean?

Replied By: swemmel on Jul 11, 2012, 9:22AM - In reply to alyqat4
I am sorry, but I totally disagree with you. You ALWAYS have a choice. You made the choice to start with drugs, nobody forced you. So you also have the choice to stop, but you have to be strong to do and most people who are addicted to drugs are weak.

Replied By: swemmel on Jul 11, 2012, 9:18AM - In reply to laneconnors
Hello Lane,

My name is Peter and I am a man from The Netherlands. I just watched the show here in The Netherlands. After the show I was curious if you made it. I am very happy that you were succesful in your rehab. I wish you a wonderful, great, drugsfree life together with your son and family. Be proud of yourself that you made it and stay this way, Lane.

With kind regards,

Peter

Replied By: colopam on Dec 30, 2011, 8:12AM
I feel so bad for the family. i can relate to this problem. I have a 30 year old who has been addicted to heroin for years. He has spent the majority of his adult life in prison and is currently in jail for theft (again).It seems everytime he commits a crime for drugs, the circumstances get orse. This time he was arrested for breaking in my uncles house just days after we buried my aunt. My mother is his biggest enabler and it drives me crazy.

Replied By: mdrsmith50 on Dec 25, 2011, 3:36PM
I watched the intervention last week " Life in the Fast Lane". My thoughts and prayers are with Lane and her family. I am the mother of an addict. It's horrible, it tears families apart.
Lane if you are able to read this, PLEASE surrender to the help that has been given to you by Dr. Phil.
I am currently living this nightmare myself.  My 33 yr old son's addiction is out of control. He started at 15 years old.  He has a beautiful 4 yr old son that he can't see, a beautiful wife that divorced him. He was arrested last night , Christmas Eve ( last night).
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

God is real and I am going to believe that God is going to give you the life that you deserve.  
I am going to continue to believe that God is going to turn my son's life around. I am NOT going to give up.

God Bless you
Diane Smith

Replied By: bella_jewel on Dec 22, 2011, 2:36PM
I was just curious why they had the mother sitting in the audience instead of on stage with the father and siblings. It may not be true but the show made it appear that she wasn't as supportive if doing the intervention with her daughter. Also, why was only the father asked to apologize? Moms seem to be the the one to be the mist enabling to their down and out children, so I wonder why she wasn't more of a focus in how the family dynamics need to change???

Replied By: cindy57 on Dec 22, 2011, 1:27PM
My thoughts, concerns and prayers are with Coen. This sweet innocent child has already suffered more emotional abuse in his few years than many people do in their life. This situation mirrors my neice & her 3 children so closely however, it is common, it is drug addiction family "side effects". They have never recieved professional help to heal from the abandonment to drugs by their mother. And now, in their young adult lives they are making poor choices, lives with no meaning. So again, my thought & prayer is with baby boy Coen.

Replied By: kaarani on Dec 22, 2011, 10:40AM
Wow!  This show was awesome!!  There is hope for that family.  In my opinion, I am so proud of Brandon and Debbie!  They are awesome and I think that they should have their own show with no disrespect to you, Dr. Phil!!  There are too many people out there that could benefit from their help!  Signed, Karen

Showing 1-10 of total 77 Comments