2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 09/30/11) Ryan says he never expected the backlash he received for posting what he thought was a funny home video of his then soon-to-be 4-year-old daughter on YouTube. In the video, the 29-year-old dad teases his little girl by telling her that when girls turn 4, their skin also turns black. In response, his daughter cries repeatedly, "I don't want to turn black!" The video, which quickly went viral, has sparked a national controversy: Is it racism? Watch and vote! After hearing opinions from Dr. Phil and viewers, will the dad continue to defend his video? Then, Leslie says her 14-year-old daughter, Hannah, is out of control and that she lives in fear of the teen’s unpredictable rages. She says Hannah has hit her, kicked her and recently forced Leslie to barricade herself inside her room for protection. She says Hannah has been suspended from school more times than she can count, and the stress from trying to keep her daughter in line is taking a toll on her health. Hannah says her mother is no angel either and has also been abusive with her. What is the underlying issue that is causing this mother/daughter conflict? If you’re a parent battling a rebellious teenager, don’t miss this show!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bogging88 on Jul 20, 2012, 12:42AM - In reply to veronicaj
Agree!!!! Unbelieveable

Replied By: bogging88 on Jul 20, 2012, 12:41AM
Respect for the father.......he is using very smart psychology in the discussion with Dr. Phil.
and I am totally agree with the father, It`s not racism.

If its smart?? Thats another question. 

Replied By: kimbuyukkilic on Jul 20, 2012, 12:40AM - In reply to veronicaj
We totally agree! Greetings from a biracial family from Holland

Replied By: veronicaj on Apr 23, 2012, 8:36AM
i think this part of the show was absolutely ridiculous! This is not racist. Why do so many people in America get frustrated when it's about race, and call it racism when it's just normal. There's no derogatory talking, no discrimination. It's just a girl that is pranked by her father. And YES pranking is OK. 

Please, stop using the race card. It's making the USA look bad.

Replied By: poopyoo on Feb 24, 2012, 10:50PM
I saw this episode and have to admit, it was practically the only episode where I totally disagreed with Dr Phil. I saw the video, and thought it was hilarious. Though, I am from the internet so my sense of humour is quite different from most people. Still, when she gets older i'm sure she'll laugh with it too. I don't see why this was so 'controversial' as to get onto this show. xD

Replied By: fwrinkledsoles on Feb 19, 2012, 7:18PM
Personality, been a so-called black person in ugly America. I don’t think his attempt was from a racial view.  Yes, all blacks in ugly America have experience so form of racism in this country by the hand or mouth by a select few who are responsible for bring us Africans over to work for nothing.  In the meantime, they had to degrade me and my African brother/sister to keep the common White Europeans people stupid as an encouragement to them as being better in an attempt to motivate them to work hard, those lazy asses and sadly it is a lot of racism mentality still around. However, this father of this young child is only acting out what a real American is alike and don’t understand what it means to be black.  Apparently, he is and many other whites in ugly America who don’t know anything about their own history and only know lies about the kidnapped Africans history.  Especially whites in ugly America today think they are genetic superior than people of color when most technology was stole from the brown nation except for technology of mass destroying.  If the White man knows his history he would understand everything was just fine until he was used to leave Europe to kill, steal, lie, cheat and rape just for a job. To the white man if you find out who made you the stupidest man on earth and then will it be some changes.

Replied By: kingak on Feb 18, 2012, 6:40PM - In reply to anthony203
I honestly have to agree with you on this one.

Replied By: annahoop on Jan 24, 2012, 7:42PM
This topic annoys me SO much. It's clearly a father messing around with his child and how anyone can say that it is wrong for him to taunt his child is beyond me. That's what parents, siblings, relatives do! It's a part of growing up. These days, you can't even smack your childs bottom without it being called child abuse. I understand that people think there are racist undertones in this video, but truly, do you think he set out to instill these ideologies in his three year olds mind? I think not. Recently an eight year old girl from my state shot to internet stardom because her mother posted a video of her on youtube. It was titled 'My first hardcore song'. She's a cute kid having some harmless fun singing about her dog and fishes to metal music. The news here in Australia had the audicity to say that her parents were abusing her child and using a provocative word like 'Hardcore' is wrong. People are ridiculous. I am white and I can tell you if this was a black child, I would laugh just as much. And, let's be honest, if it was a black child doing this, no one would have the nerve to call it racism. People are too sensitive and are focusing on issues that aren't really.. well.. issues. And to be honest, the thing that gets me the most about this whole ordeal is that the father tells her she is going to look like midnight. If you tell a child such a thing, do you think she's thinking 'Oh I'm going to look like the dark man who lives next door' or do you she thinks she's going to turn BLACK THE COLOUR of midnight. SHE'S THREE PEOPLE. I don't remember anything I was told when I was three and hell, if you showed me this at my 21st I would love it and laugh. The fact that this can even cause controversy, is ridiculous. Grow up, take a joke and stop thinking the world revolves around you and that you are being targeted.

Replied By: violindigo on Jan 24, 2012, 5:46PM
I personally didn't find this video offensive or racist. I found it quite funny and thought it was all light hearted. I don't think this girl will be scarred by it - I think it will be funny to look back on at her 21st b/day!! Personally I would not have put it on youtube, as I think you have to be very careful to protect your kids. But as a private video to share amongst close family and friends, its OK. I made some shocking racist comments when I was 11 and saw a video clip of a Japanese woman with a white American! Didn't know what racist was until then! It was just foreign to my experience until then. I grew out of it and am certainly not racist now.

Maybe because of America's history and culture, people are more sensitive to these issues. I am writing as an Australian.

Replied By: frilloz on Jan 24, 2012, 5:25PM
Honestly this is ridiculous and got way out of hand. Making a small home video thats irrelavent to the rest of the world some how relavent. When did the world return to its shell of conservatism. Typical of an American show to dramtise a pointless story. Its pathetic really, keeping America ignorant one useless "informative" report at a time.

Showing 1-10 of total 1052 Comments