Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

It’s a story that captured the nation: Warren Jeffs, the leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) and self-proclaimed prophet was one of the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted Fugitives for unlawful flight, sexual conduct with a minor and conspiracy to conduct sexual conduct with a minor. Captured in 2006, Jeffs was recently convicted of sexually assaulting children and sentenced to life plus 20 years in prison. With an estimated 10,000 followers in his polygamous sect, what will become of Warren Jeffs’ victims? And, who will take over leadership of the FLDS? Dr. Phil sits down with former FLDS spokesperson and bodyguard of Jeffs, Willie Jessop. How much did he know about Jeffs’ criminal activity? What was Jessop's role in the expulsion of the “lost boys” and the alienation of families? And, what does he predict for the future of the FLDS church? It’s a two-part series you don’t want to miss!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: babyblu187 on Dec 18, 2012, 1:26PM
It's frustrating to watch a man who avoids answering a question at every cost. It only shows that he is hiding something and to me, it was very clear that he had more knowledge of what was going on in that community, than he sits there and claims.

Replied By: findthewayout on Oct 2, 2011, 2:56PM
This goes beyond cult to true corruption.

Most of my family is Mormon and they really protect their own - as long as you share their beliefs.  For all their "family" talk they mean Mormon family.  The fact that my family also includes a convicted rapist, at least 3 child molesters and an uncle who is serving time in Mexico for child sex tourism seems to be a concern only to me (the non-Mormon).

I think my aunt & mother were molested by an uncle and/or their father before they became Mormon.  I think that history of abuse primed them to join a cult that believes women are to mary some guy who would become a god of his own planet some day (just google "law of eternal progression")  and be one of his many goddess wives who would pop out spirit babies for all eternity to populate their god/husband's planet. 

Frankly, considering how mainstream Mormons put down the pligs, it's the pligs that are closer to Mormon founding beliefs.  If it wasn't for Utah's desire to be a state I doubt there would have been a "revelation" that polygamy is bad, since they still anticipate praticing polygamy when they are gods & goddesses.

There are great DVDs on this topic from http://www.lhvm.org/thebiblevs.html.  I've seen most of them  and they are very well done & respectful of Mormon beliefs.  Although the DVDs are sold out you can watch the streaming versions for free.  And no, I'm not part of the group that makes them or getting some kickback.  I just found them very informative as the black sheep in a Mormon flock painted white . . .

Replied By: dozygoats on Sep 30, 2011, 8:46AM
I don't think brainwashing is the right word for what happens in the FLDS. 

The real issue is Grooming. Abusers of all types follow similar models: They isolate their victims, make them dependent, make them feel responsible for the well being of the abuser and also exploit any weaknesses of the victim - doing their best to keep them feeling guilty and off balance for any and all "sins" the victim might commit or think of committing. 

That is how children in the FLDS are raised. They do not attend public school (isolation). They are taught that any personal desires are selfish and "not of God". (Guilt) They are taught that they must obey the Prophet in all things as well as the hierarchy of leaders so that the leaders can carry out God's work (Responsibilty for the well being of the abuser). 

They are further raised to believe that the outside world is evil. Their homes, jobs, etc. are controlled by the church. (Dependence) 

Dissent is brutally punished through expulsion which includes loss of home, family, salvation, job - and contact with everyone they've ever known. 

Abusers also pick their victims carefully -often choosing troubled or lonely children - or children of struggling single mothers. The FLDS has it easy in this regard. They breed their own victims. Children born into that world never get a chance to learn that they are citizens of a country that guarantees them certain rights.

They grow up believing that another man has the right to make their most basic decisions for them: Who to marry, what career to pursue, when to marry, how many children to have, where to live, how to raise their children and when and where to surrender their children for marriage, expulsion or child labor. They will tell you they do have a choice - and they are right. The choice is to obey or face severe consequences. 

And they get millions of taxpayer dollars every year to keep the the operation going....

Replied By: birdturd on Sep 30, 2011, 6:58AM
Bioloically speaking, a group of 10,000 individuals is just barely a "breeding population." With a male/female ratio out of balance--not even that.  Within three generations, there is already going to be serious inbreeding, which might explain why women are willing to be treated as so many bitch dogs in heat.  If FLDS calls itself a church (when it is, in fact, a cult) then a non-profit status would make this a very lucrative operation. It is also white slavery.  I didn't see any black wives.  Black cultures tend to be very matrilineal, where all men are considered disposable and dispensable.

Jessop has been groomed to inherit this disgrace.  His philosophy seems to be that if you don't get caught with your pants down, you're as good as innocent.    I guess he's never been  sodomized.

Replied By: garciaviola on Sep 29, 2011, 2:44PM
All I have to say is that Mr. Jessop gave me the chills. He looks so evil. That smirk on his face almost made him seem to be laughing at everybody there. He looked so evil.

Replied By: tamara128 on Sep 29, 2011, 8:38AM
I was deeply disturbed by this show with Willie Jessop. There were a few things that really stood out, did anyone notice his eyes? He looked high as a kite, his eyes were severly glossy and dialated. Also, watch the expression after his BS apology, he sits there with a look on his face that clearly said in amazement," Look he bought it!" Like he totally pulled one over on Dr.Phil. This man clearly is still involved in some way shape or form with this group.

I hope more people come together and bring this to an end!!! Those poor people have no idea what has been done to them, it is like Hitler all over again. I pray that something is done so that we do not see another Kool-Aid mass suicide in this country!!!

Replied By: marianparoo on Sep 29, 2011, 4:58AM
For all of you guys insisting that God has nothing to do with evil, all evil comes from Satan, well, I guess you are a Manichee. Which is fine with me, but a Manichee is not a conventional Christian.

God creates all, both good and evil. Satan is a fallen angel, with no power to create anything.

.And as for this guy daring to call what  "happened" to him and his followers a "trail of tears", well, that is the kind of vileness I would wash a mouth off for. It is an ugly, racist, untrue thing to say.

A four letter word is nowhere, nohow as wrong as what this person said.

Replied By: twiztedgranny on Sep 29, 2011, 2:07AM
I have always heard that your eyes are the window to your soul...with that being said, Willie Jessop is pure evil....Look into his eyes and all you see is the bottomless blackness that comes from the pit of hell.  He should be in prison along with the rest of the adults who condoned what happened to those poor children.

Replied By: caddygirl on Sep 28, 2011, 10:42PM
I don't believe one bit that he is sorry in any way for what has happened to those followers of Jeffs. He is only sorry he got caught.

Replied By: forensic_girl on Sep 28, 2011, 10:03PM
Willie Jessop made me think of a stereotypical televangelist crossed with a used car salesman, sprinkled with a little bit of Uncle Creepy- made my skin crawl!

Showing 1-10 of total 97 Comments