Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

Dr. Phil continues his in-depth discussion with Willie Jessop, former spokesperson for the FLDS and bodyguard of self-proclaimed prophet Warren Jeffs. Now that Jeffs is behind bars, what will happen to his estimated 10,000 followers? Jessop comes face to face with former FLDS members and some of his critics, who say they don’t believe a word he says, including Warren’s nephew, Brent, who says his testimony of abuse at the hands of his uncle helped bring Jeffs to justice; Sam Brower, author of Prophet’s Prey, who has been investigating the FLDS for the past seven years, and Joni, who’s married to a former member of the FLDS, and who provides a safe haven and rehabilitation for those who escape or are forced out of the polygamous sect. Will Jessop provide the answers they’re looking for? And, meet Fawn, a young woman who says she escaped her fate of being forced to marry an older man when she fled the compound. See how her life has flourished on the outside and hear why she's terrified for her family still living in the sect.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: larcolant on Oct 17, 2011, 8:45PM
Does anyone know who the man (in the audience who challenged Willie) was, or the last name of Joni? I would like to know more aout their story.

Replied By: nadia2000red on Oct 13, 2011, 12:28PM
I could not believe Willie had the audacity to slap Brent on the back while denying that Brent was ever abused. UNBELIEVABLE. Willie is sick, and Brent has a lot of strength to stay composed after Willie slapped him. I'm guessing the only reason Dr.Phil wasn't harder on Willie is because Willie has power in the FLDS and could possibly be an avenue through which sane people could help the people trapped within it. It was hard to watch Willie talk out of both sides of his mouth and continue to abuse people. God bless all the people who have escaped, especially those amazing parents who escaped with their children like Carolyn Jessop. 

Replied By: my3boys11 on Oct 3, 2011, 11:45PM - In reply to housewife52
I agree housewife52. That was a pretty hard slap on the back. It was kind of shocking!

Replied By: sable219 on Oct 3, 2011, 12:24PM
The Jeff's conviction took place here and more hearings going on for FDLS men being charged.  Interesting enough, this show was replaced with Grey's Anatomy.  Never has this happened and his entire hour was the only program replaced.  Here is the reply from the TV station....

Sent: 10/3/2011 1:45:27 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: RE: What Happen to Dr Phil?

Hi! ……I am so sorry about what happened to Dr Phil.  The engineers were in the process of switching the control board to High Definition and something went wrong causing  the program to switch involuntary to Grey’s Anatomy.  I’m not sure how it happened technically but, as you know, electronics are so complicated these days.  At any rate our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.  With this switch you will now be able to see many of our syndicated shows in high definition along with all our newscasts.  Thank you for watching KTXS/KTXE.  Kindest regards, Sylvia

Replied By: fancycat66 on Oct 3, 2011, 8:06AM
I must say that this is the first time I have been compelled to comment on an episode of the Dr. Phil Show and I have been a faithful view from the beginning.

First and foremost, thanks go out to those who are continuing to expose the atrocities being committed in this community.  All of the love, support, and quite obviously counselling will be needed by those members who are brave enough to break free and enter into the world as the rest of us know it.

I can't express the admiration I have for those who have left the community for whatever reason.  They have made respectable lives for themselves and realize the wrongs perpetrated in their pasts.  Brent, you are a hero!  Hold your head high and know that you are an outstanding model for members to follow as they see the wrongs committed against them and move forward in the future.

I am a God fearing Christian and am well aware that I am not to pass judgement on others.  I can't help but think that the God that I pray to is weeping at the idea that Willie Jessop hides behind his name.  This man may have been raised to believe Warren Jeff's teachings but he quite obviously knows right from wrong or he would have answered the yes and no questions directly instead of dancing around every issue presented to him.  He is a smug, arrogant man who quite obviously shows no admission of guilt nor does he show any regret for his actions.  In my estimation that equals a person with no conscience.  He doesn't deserve the effort it would take to say all I think of him only that there is a special place reserved for people like him that don't acknowledge their wrongs before their time comes.

As usual, Dr. Phil, you handled this with the respect, dignity, and directness that we've all come to expect.  

My prayers go out to all involved that this community and it's members will someday find the love, peace, and hope they deserve.  And I believe we should all keep Mr. Jessop in our prayers as he needs them!

Replied By: jennef on Sep 30, 2011, 9:39PM - In reply to exldsmember
You are a thousand times the man that Willie Jessop is.

I consider myself privileged as a mother to have been a witness to your courage,watching you this week.

Good on you, son!

And blessings on  your new family.....

Replied By: jennef on Sep 30, 2011, 9:33PM - In reply to shining_light
Yes, I read the book,too.

Carolyn talked about the power the older wives held over the younger ones, the lying & how the older wives would beat the children of other " wives ".The competing for "Sexual Favors",even though they didn't love the man, just for power over the other women.

Also, how bad it was for so many children to be all together in one house, with mothers favored or not by the "man" of the house.

What an awful mess! However is this going to get sorted out?

It will take 100 Dr. Phils to help these people!

Replied By: jennef on Sep 30, 2011, 9:22PM
I think that Willie Jessop is a very frightened man.

Replied By: jennef on Sep 30, 2011, 9:07PM - In reply to digidali999
I agree. Not many would have been willing to take this on.

Dr. Phil towers above  the "men " of FLDS who take 12,13, 14 year-old virgins into their beds .Just stop & think about your daughter ...........

I believe the Jewish word for a good ,strong,compassionate man is a "mensch".That's Phil McGraw.

Replied By: jennef on Sep 30, 2011, 8:57PM - In reply to judeomaha
Of course there's a connection!.

Why aren't other mainline Churches good enough for these men? Episcopelian,Presbyterian,United Church - what's wrong with these ?

Showing 1-10 of total 192 Comments