Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/03/11) From rigorous exercise as a form of discipline to lavish rewards for good grades, Dr. Phil's guests say they've unlocked the secret to raising happy children. But are their methods too extreme? Lana buys her teens expensive gifts -- $1,000 cooking classes in Italy, million-dollar parties and even penthouse mansions -- as bonuses for doing well in school. She says the ritzy rewards motivate her kids to excel in the classroom, but her sister, Natalya, thinks she’s spoiling them. Learn what Dr. Phil thinks about this heated family debate. Then, Sarge and Joy raise their kids under a military-style regimen that bans most television shows, contact with friends, Harry Potter books and even requires the children to do push-ups if they lose a board game. Joy’s half-sister, Shana, worries the children will become sheltered from such a strict upbringing. Are they too radical, or is there a rationale to their extremes? And, Cheryl made national headlines when she allowed her 5-year-old son, Dyson, to wear princess dresses to school. Dr. Phil sits down with the mom to talk about her recently published children’s book, My Princess Boy, and her decision to accept Dyson, no matter what he wears.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Oct 10, 2012, 6:37PM
So sad to see this woman who has turned her face into a grotesque mask.  If this is what you have to do when you have money, then I'll stay poor.

Replied By: rakkertjie on Aug 21, 2012, 6:53AM
I know, I know, I have already left about 2 comments already, but I'm so upset that I just can't get that military family out of my head. If so many viewers condone that kind of abusement, I'm really glad I'm not an American. Here in South Africa the parents would be prosecuted for child abuse.

How can any one think it's normal to cut children off any contact from other children? When seeing how important my 11 yr old grandson's friends are to him, I just can't imagine how lonely and isolated those two children must feel.

Another think, no where in all the pieces of filming have I seen any acts of affection between the parents and the children? Is that forbidden too?

Thank God for the parent I had and that I could transfer that loving upbringing into my owns children's childhood. All I could do is pray for that children. And comforting myself with the certainty that eventually they will be grown individuals who can escape from that morbid military boot camp!

Replied By: rakkertjie on Aug 21, 2012, 6:21AM - In reply to emholm
How can you people condone that military parenting style? What about that poor childrens child life? No friends? Exercises when losing a card game? Hearing speaches from a crazy mother the entire time? I'd love to see them when the kids are big enough get out of the house. THEN they are going to do all the stuff they are not allowed now. Watch and see! That parents are cruel, to say the least.

Replied By: rakkertjie on Aug 21, 2012, 6:16AM - In reply to ctirish
My sentiments exactly. Dr Phil is going soft on criminals, thats the way I see it! I always thought he will fight tooth and nail for children, now all he does is pacify that dreadful parents (not worth being called parents)

Replied By: rakkertjie on Aug 21, 2012, 6:14AM
Dr Phil, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. How can you leave that military tirants to keep on abusing their children? And don't beat around the bush. What they do is child abuse, plain and simple. I can only hope someone who saw the show will step in, not someone like you, 'thanking' that two Napoleons for the way they treat their children!

Replied By: ctirish on Dec 29, 2011, 1:39PM
I get concerned when I see shows on Dr. Phil that show parenting methods that are obviously not in the best interests of the child and he doesn't tell them.  Several times on the show he says, I'm not judging you, just amaking an observation.   He should be making a statement that says - you are at risk of creating problems and issues with you that your children will have to deal with as adults.

Replied By: media411 on Dec 23, 2011, 8:00PM
Joy & Sarge should be unhesitantly applauded for their dedicated parenting. Both are exemplary human beings and exemplary parents. 

They are raising physical healthy, mentally & emotionally strong - and happy children. What's not to like about their methodology? There is no physical or emotional abuse and lots of quality time and of love. 

I agree with the them that their parenting job is being made difficult by the majority of overly permissive or absent, or uncaring parents. 

Discipline never hurt anyone, especially when it's done with love. I don't mean to be snide or glib but have you ever seen a trained dog versus an untrained dog. The first is happy and proud. The other is neurotic and a misery for everyone. And one rarely sees a disciplined person in prison or poorly employed. Joy & Sarge are right; they're breeding success and happiness. 

I taught university for awhile. Those with the best grades were not always the smartest but they were invariably the best disciplined. Enough said. I applaud Joy & Sarge. 

Replied By: fvlongo on Dec 23, 2011, 9:22AM - In reply to foxtrot101
May I ask...Are you gay?  Or do you just love womans clothes?

Replied By: fvlongo on Dec 23, 2011, 9:08AM - In reply to housewife52
Hello Housewife,  Thanks for sharing your story.  Your story proves that you are born this way and you can change it but you won't be happy.  What bothers me the most is...it's okay for a girl to want to wear boy clothes but for a boy to wear girl clothes is out of this world...

Replied By: fvlongo on Dec 23, 2011, 9:05AM
The only comment I want to say is.....why is it okay for a five year old girl to play baseball?  The father would probably high five her for that.  But if a boy wants to take dance lessons because he loves to dance.  That father would say NO!  It's our society that needs a wakeup call....If the boy is gay...he's gay...you are born that way....you can't change that.  We love our children and we will support whatever they decide.  It's our job to tell them about survival and morals.  Happy Holidays to All...M

Showing 1-10 of total 160 Comments