Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

From aiding their children toward obesity to depriving them of meals, Dr. Phil takes today’s guests to task for feeding their kids extreme diets. His first guest is Jerri, who recently made headlines when her state’s Department of Social Services removed her 14-year-old son, Alex, from her home because he weighed 555 pounds. Since moving in with his aunt two years ago, Alex has lost nearly 300 pounds. Did social services make the right call? Should government agencies intervene in more cases like Alex's? The teen speaks for the first time about his controversial move, and Dr. Phil gets to the root of Jerri’s parenting choices. Then, Jennifer says she can't understand why her 4-year-old-son, Grayson, weighs 115 pounds. She claims she feeds him a healthy diet, but he continues to pack on pounds. What’s the real reason for his mysterious weight gain? And, Amanda dislikes overweight people and says she will do anything to keep her 11-year-old daughter, Alyssa, thin. The mom often feeds Alyssa vegetable-only diets and says she'll support any future decisions for breast augmentation, if it will flatter her daughter's figure. What message is she sending to her young daughter? Health and wellness expert Jillian Michaels joins the show to give Amanda a wake-up call.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Sep 25, 2012, 9:59PM
When Jillian was talking to the mother who wants her daughter to be skinny, Jillian sounded a little hypocritical when saying that the mother wanted her daughter to be skinny- well duh isn't her whole career based on people wanting to be skinny?

Replied By: strine on Sep 25, 2012, 9:22PM
I felt Dr Phil pandered to the first guest rather than making her face what she did. There's no way that boy had a medical problem which made him eat (as his mother suggested). He said himself that they ate "alot". For the lawyer to start blaming the media and fast food joints really was the icing on the victim cake that the mother had placed herself in. The second guest was also clueless about the child abuse she was inflicting on her son. Feeding your kids junk constantly, not encouraging them to be involved in sport of any kind and watching as they eat themselves to death is Child Abuse and as such children should be removed from their toxic parents.

Replied By: smellingtheros on Sep 17, 2012, 5:50AM
I have been wanting to post a message for almost a year now. I personally know Graysons family. Jennifer the mother is an extremely amazing lady. First off she is a caregiver for her disabled husband. He had a massive stroke in November of 2007. He is permanently disabled. Grayson was a month away from being 1. Her husband was in the hospital for many months and they were not actually married until a month after his stroke in the hospital. She wanted to help him and keep her family togethor. Grayson was born with many medical issues. After her husband got sick they were on a fixed income. He needed 24/7 care. So they couldnt afford it so she took over and signed up with in home social services to she could have a little income. She has tried so hard to help with Graysons eating and excersise. One of her biggest issues is money. After the bills are paid and meds are paid then there is barely enough for groceries. What she has she has to make it stretch. As we all know healthy food costs a bit more and it doesnt have a shelf life. When Jillian interviewed Jennifer she was asking why there were certain foods in the cupboard and fridge. Jennifer told her certain items were from the food bank and some were from WIC. Jillian didnt even know what wic was. When they filmed her at home it was they day before she was flying for the first time with her autistic son without her disabled husband (they wouldnt let hime come) she was a complete wreck. I had to stay with her for a few months and she never ever bought those items that were shown on the show. That was last minute quick shopping so she could pack her and her 4 year old to go on the show. Jennifer has had Grayson tested for Prader Willie and a few other tests are being done. Something is medically wrong with him and it is so obvious. She has her plate full and she is so posotive about all her setbacks with her family. Being on the show really bothered her because she was not educated by anyone on good food to buy or how to shop on a very small budget. Grayson is now 5 years old and he is 4 foot 3 inches. Wears a size 6 shoe. Hes an amazing boy with an amazing mom that will jump through fire to get her husband and son healthy and through each day of there lives. I just had to post this on here because people didnt have the full story on them and some of the blogs and messages she has seen has really bothered her. I know this doesnt even matter now but I hope one day she will see someone had her back!

Replied By: missnunya1975 on Oct 1, 2011, 6:27PM
While I think that she's somewhat misinformed on some things, I actually agree with her and not Dr. Phil. So, there are some commenters on here saying that they got married when they were overweight-good for you. However, this woman is right that the vast majority of men want a ridiculously thin woman. I'm in the dating scene and time and time again men from online dating sites will ask me how tall I am and how much I weigh. These men in our society think that an underweight woman is the norm. For those who say that this woman is not finding of a man because of her shallowness and her attitude, that is garbage. I can't tell you how often I see men out with overly thin women wearing heels and crap on their skin (make up). This is what men want. Then they complain that all women are shallow. However, men are attracted to shallow women. They consider it "taking care of yourself" and they want such a woman. Also, men will date anorexic women, but reject a woman slightly overweight and say that he doesn't want a woman who doesn't take care of her health. I tried to set a guy up with a chubby girl and that's what he said. Then he asked me about another friend of mine whose legs are so thin, possibly less than 10" around.

My advice to Amanda is that you can lighten up a little. Your daughter doesn't need to skip candy altogether. She should be allowed sweets in a reasonable amount on holidays. Also, make sure she's getting nutrients. Without them, the metabolism slows. In addition to having her walk and jump on the trampoline, she needs to build muscles-things like push ups, crunchies, lifting weights, squats and riding a bike will help. Have her start running so that her workout can be goal oriented. The idea is to run either farther or faster.

As for Jillian Michaels, I agreed when she got the other mother to realize that she associated feeding the family with loving the family. However, she should have discussed more of inacurrate perceptions of "healthy" foods. As another commenter said, GRAINS ARE NOT HEALTHY!! All you have to do is look at the nutrition facts and see that there is next to no good stuff in bread or pasta and the calories are kind of high per serving. Processed is generally a bad thing. If you think about it, the amount of energy that goes into getting that food is more than the amount to burn it off because we are a made to survive in the wild. So today, machines put energy into making our food and we put next to nothing into getting it. We work in offices and sit on our you-know-whats. We don't walk around picking fruits and vegetables.

Back to Jillian Michaels, who is this skinny celebrity to criticize Amanda for teaching her daughter the way the world works? As Dr. Phil pointed out that Amanda is teaching her daughter that her self-worth is wrapped up in her looks, I was in public saying to the TV, "it's better she learns it now!!!!" I'm sorry but while it may be wrong of society to work this way, it ***IS*** how America works.

Replied By: woodstockkid on Sep 29, 2011, 10:25AM
I was very dismayed to hear Dr. Phil tell the mother of the overweight child (in the episode “Overweight or Underfed”) that she was setting the child up for various adult diseases “…to include rheumatoid arthritis.” I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2003, after suffering years of recurring systemic infections (sinuses, kidney, pancreatitis, kidney stones, etc.), which then began to include rashes after being out in the sun, recurring fevers and flu-like symptoms for days on end, weight LOSS without trying to lose weight, and drenching night sweats. I then developed swollen, hot and red painful joints on both hands. Prior to this, I had been an athlete for over 20 years, running 5-6 miles a day, teaching aerobics, competing in archery, rollerblading, and spending lots of time actively “playing” outdoors as a single mom.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is an Autoimmune Arthritis. Autoimmune Arthritis means chronic, systemic, inflammatory autoimmune diseases that primarily affect the joints; however, because they are systemic (affect the whole body) they also involve connective and soft tissues and, in some cases, organs. These diseases are autoimmune in nature, causing obnoxious fatigue, low grade fevers and general flu-like symptoms. The first line of treatment is typically chemotherapy.

Autoimmune Arthritis diseases are not triggered due to poor diet and/or weight gain. However, Osteoarthritis, or degenerative arthritis, can be caused due to strain on the weight-bearing joints. Autoimmune Arthritis diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, are grossly misunderstood by the public; statements such as this only further confuse the line between “arthritis” and “autoimmune arthritis”. I, along with those of us suffering from autoimmune arthritis diseases and my fellow members of the International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement are asking that you please retract this statement publically and acknowledge that it is in fact OSTEOARTHRITIS which can develop from overeating and lack of fitness. We also ask that you consider inviting real patients to the show to discuss the realities of these debilitating diseases.

Please help us bring awareness about the differences between osteoarthritis and autoimmune arthritis, and STOP perpetuating the same misconceptions that have gone on for decades. It is time people become educated about the true differences between the two; it is time people learned that autoimmune diseases are systemic illnesses which are NOT caused by anything a person has done to themselves! It is an immune system gone array; one which has gone into overdrive and cannot be shut off. tbrown

Replied By: helenvivienne on Sep 29, 2011, 5:15AM
I have had a form of Psoriatic Arthritis (a form of autoimmune arthritis very similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis) from age nine. This disease affects every joint in my body, the lining of my stomach, the connective tissue between my ribs and hips, my eyesight, and my skin. It causes breathing problems, inflammation in my mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and many other flu-like symptoms. To treat this, I have to self-inject chemotherapy 3 times per week. This is NOT the same type of arthritis cause by joint wear-and-tear from old age or obesity. 

Autoimmune Arthritis means chronic, systemic, inflammatory autoimmune diseases that primarily affect the joints, however, because they are systemic (affect the whole body) they also involve connective and soft tissues and, in some cases, organs. These diseases are autoimmune in nature, causing obnoxious fatigue, low grade fevers and general flu-like symptoms. The first line of treatment is typically chemotherapy.

On Monday Sept 26th (original air date September 23rd, 2011) an episode aired on the Dr. Phil show that featured childhood obesity entitled “Overweight or Underfed”. In response to a guest who was severely over feeding her child, Dr. Phil stated this excessive weight gain could result in diseases, such as diabetes or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an Autoimmune Arthritis, as defined above; Autoimmune Arthritis diseases are not triggered due to poor diet and/or weight gain. However, Osteoarthritis, or degenerative arthritis, can be caused due to strain on the weight-bearing joints.

Autoimmune Arthritis diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, are grossly misunderstood by the public; statements such as this only further confuse the line between “arthritis” and “autoimmune arthritis”. We, as a community, are asking that you please retract this statement publically, and acknowledge that OSTEOARTHRITIS can develop from failed nutrition and fitness. We also ask that you consider inviting actual Rheumatoid Arthritis patients to the show to discuss the realities of these debilitating diseases, especially to discuss the frustration that stems from confusing it with “arthritis”.

Many parents blame themselves when their children are diagnosed with autoimmune arthritis. My mother blamed herself for my illness, despite the fact that she had done everything to provide a warm, healthy nurturing home life for me during my childhood and teenage years. She did everything she possibly could to help me with my illness, even after she herself was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Stating that Rheumatoid Arthritis can be caused by overfeeding your child is not only misleading, it is adding to the belief that the parents are somehow to blame.

Thank you

Helen Vivienne Fletcher, Volunteer, International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement, New Zealand

Replied By: ricekrispie on Sep 29, 2011, 12:35AM
I am quite shocked to hear that on your show you stated rheumatoid arthritis can be a result of excess weight gain. Autoimmune arthritis is our immune system attacking our body. I have psoriatic arthritis which is also an autoimmune arthritis. I have had this since 1999 at aged 36. I have had low dose chemotherapy treatment, and now currently on a biologic ANTI-TNF. I was never over-weight, I was active, energetic and had a steady weight when I developed PsA. Autoimmune Arthritis means chronic, systemic, inflammatory autoimmune diseases that primarily affect the joint, however, because they are systemic (affect the whole body) they also involve connective and soft tissues and, in some cases, organs. These diseases are autoimmune in nature, causing obnoxious fatigue, low grade fevers and general flu-like symptoms. The first line of treatment is typically chemotherapy. On Monday Sept 26th (original air date September 23rd, 2011) an episode aired on the Dr. Phil show that featured childhood obesity entitled “Overweight or Underfed”. In response to a guest who was severely over feeding her child, Dr. Phil stated this excessive weight gain could result in diseases, such as diabetes or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an Autoimmune Arthritis, as defined above; Autoimmune Arthritis diseases are not triggered due to poor diet and/or weight gain. However, Osteoarthritis, or degenerative arthritis, can be caused due to strain on the weight-bearing joints. Autoimmune Arthritis diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, are grossly misunderstood by the public; statements such as this only further confuse the line between “arthritis” and “autoimmune arthritis”. We, as a community, are asking that you please retract this statement publically, and acknowledge that OSTEOARTHRITIS can develop from failed nutrition and fitness. We also ask that you consider inviting actual Rheumatoid Arthritis patients to the show to discuss the realities of these debilitating diseases, especially to discuss the frustration that stems from confusing it with “arthritis”.  My experience is that many people do not know about autoimmune arthritis and when they ask me what is wrong with me, they say, "oh your so young" (but I was the average onset age) or "I have arthritis is my knee!."  Misconceptions about autoimmune arthritis need to be addressed, and your programme could help, by starting with stating the correct information.  Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to your response Joanne May, Volunteer. International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement http://iaamovement.org/

Replied By: tiffanyiaam on Sep 28, 2011, 2:09PM - In reply to rere58

I am posting these pictures in conjuncture with the International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement's plea for a public retraction that Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) may develop as a result of over eating.
These picture show a typical regimen for a patient with moderate to severe Rheumatoid Arthritis*. The pictures showing the infusion and injection are examples of the chemotherapy treatment that is endured on a regular basis. And the thermometer is a reminder that this disease is an Autoimmune Arthritis- meaning it is systemic, attacking the whole body, including joints, connective and soft tissues, and sometimes organs. It is often paired with low grade fever, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms.
The reason for these photos is to demonstrate why the Rheumatoid Arthritis patients are upset about the comment made on "Overweight or Underfed". In a show geared towards educating parents about nutrition and over feeding (or under feeding), where does Rheumatoid Arthritis possibly fit into this story? It is an autoimmune disease that is thought to be triggered by a combination of genetics and environmental issues. Not by eating too much.
However, Osteoarthritis (OA), or typically referred to as simply "arthritis", is a denegerative condition caused by age, wear and tear or injury. It is localized to the weight bearing joints and is not paired with any other symptoms. It can occur from weight gain due to the stress on those joints. Perhaps this is what you meant to suggest, Dr. Phil? However, as you can see by the photos, the treatment for RA is much different than that for OA. And because the general public does not seem to understand there is a difference, by publically stating RA could occur from over eating wipes away years of work towards dispelling the misunderstandings and confusion that currently exists.
We would like to respectfully request a public retraction, and if possible, please invite to the show real RA patients to tell the story about RA, it's affects and why it is not caused by weight gain,

Replied By: rere58 on Sep 28, 2011, 11:21AM
On your recent show, "overweight or underfed" Dr Phil listed rheumatoid arthritis as a possible medical condition that 555 lb Alex could develop. Dr. Phil, on behalf of The International Autoimmune ARthritis Movement and my friends who suffer from autoimmune arthritis diseases, I urge you to retract that statement. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself. As an example, I was a normal weight personal trainer and group exercise instructor upon diagnosis. I have never heard of weight as a contributing factor to rheumatoid arthritis. I have, however, heard it as a contributing factor to osteo-arthritis, which is normal wear and tear and weight could definitely contribute to progressive wear and tear. I was surprised you did not mention type 2 diabetes??? Maybe your thoughts got away from you for a moment but for those of us with rheumatoid arthritis that are trying to educate the public on a condition that only affects about 1% of the world population, this is an opportunity for us to dispell the definition that people usually attach to RA. Most people do not understand that RA is an autoimmune disease, mainly diagnosed through blood tests, and it is not like the typical arthritis that the majority of the population suffers. I kindly ask that you reflect on your conversation with the parent on that day and clarify or correct yourself on a future show.

Replied By: jessluvscats on Sep 28, 2011, 12:34AM
Dear Dr Phil,

It is disappointing to see inaccurate information presented on your show.

Autoimmune Arthritis means chronic, systemic, inflammatory autoimmune diseases that primarily affect the joint, however, because they are systemic (affect the whole body) they also involve connective and soft tissues and, in some cases, organs. These diseases are autoimmune in nature, causing obnoxious fatigue, low grade fevers and general flu-like symptoms. The first line of treatment is typically chemotherapy.

On Monday Sept 26th (original air date September 23rd, 2011) an episode aired on the Dr. Phil show that featured childhood obesity entitled “Overweight or Underfed”. In response to a guest who was severely over feeding her child, Dr. Phil stated this excessive weight gain could result in diseases, such as diabetes or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an Autoimmune Arthritis, as defined above; Autoimmune Arthritis diseases are not triggered due to poor diet and/or weight gain. However, Osteoarthritis, or degenerative arthritis, can be caused due to strain on the weight-bearing joints.

Autoimmune Arthritis diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, are grossly misunderstood by the public; statements such as this only further confuse the line between “arthritis” and “autoimmune arthritis”. We, as a community, are asking that you please retract this statement publically, and acknowledge that OSTEOARTHRITIS can develop from failed nutrition and fitness. We also ask that you consider inviting actual Rheumatoid Arthritis patients to the show to discuss the realities of these debilitating diseases, especially to discuss the frustration that stems from confusing it with “arthritis”.

Showing 1-10 of total 140 Comments