Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/18/08) Dieters know how hard it is to shed five or 10 pounds. What do you do when you need to lose 100 pounds … and you’re just 10 years old? Dr. Phil talks to parents who say they can’t get their child to stop eating, and they fear this food addiction could turn deadly. Luz’s daughter, Kayla, is just 5 years old, but she already tips the scales at 113 pounds. Luz says her child throws temper tantrums when she doesn’t eat, and she once screamed so loudly for junk food, her neighbors called the police! Does Kayla have an eating disorder, or is Luz enabling her? Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of the hit show The Doctors, gives this mom a wake-up call. Then, Stephanie says her 3-year-old daughter, SaJatta, is addicted to sausage and grits. The toddler weighs 88 pounds and gets winded just walking up the stairs in her house. SaJatta’s grandmother, Mary, says the little girl is spoiled, and she doesn’t know how to say no to her. What do the results from SaJatta's blood work reveal? Can the family conquer her obesity? Plus, Mary says her daughter, Brittany, was an active child until she broke her ankle five years ago. Now at age 10, Brittany weighs 190 pounds, and her folks say she’s turned into a couch potato. How can Mary and her husband, Roger, motivate the child to lose weight? Fitness trainer Robert Reames has a surprise for the family! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: here2opine on Dec 24, 2012, 8:32AM
Watching this rerun on OWN today.  The second family is what shocks me - both the mother and grandmother are overweight and they are surprised that the child is too?  Look at what they are eating and there is no surprise that they are all overweight.  This is a no brainer, ya'll.  You are what (and how much) you eat.

Replied By: jance22 on Apr 15, 2009, 6:18PM - In reply to haveyroo
I understand that you are upset over the generalizations, but in the case of the show they really were not generalizations.  They were reactions to the stories about each child and parents.  We saw families that never sat down to a defined meal, just seemed to graze whenever and wherever, they ate on their bed, on couches in the living room, on the floor in front of the TV.  The Children we saw ate no vegetables, ate on demand foods that were totally inappropriate and pitched fits if they didn't get whatever they wanted to eat. These families are totally out of control, not only in the food department but in  general.  If it were not food, it would be some other behavior that is totally without discipline.  These parents are not setting a good example, did not give the kids a good start from the beginning, do not set limits and stick to them (I am not talking about punishment, but being consistent, setting limits and sticking with them), and are not addressing the situation. You said it yourself, your child's condition is very rare, and I sincerely doubt she is sitting in front of TV stuffing herself with sausage and grits daily. I am sure you are very diligent and sensitive about your child's health.  Best of luck to you and your daughter. You have a difficult enough road, but the fact that people see that she is normally adjusted will not trigger the blame thoughts. 

Replied By: gagey1 on Apr 11, 2009, 4:06PM
If I were the mother of a child that ate like this, or screamed because they didn't get the junk food they wanted, the first thing I'd do is get him/her to a doctor.  If there is no problem, then the gloves have to go on and the mother/parents have got to stop allowing this child to behave this way.  It is about the health of the child, and this is why I would rule out any physical or emotional problems first.  It's like when you see these extremely obese adults who cannot even get out of bed, who is enabling these people?  I think the parent(s) or the enablers of adult obesity have as big a problem as the over eater.  To allow your child to eat like this is a form of abuse, as you are creating a very unhealthy life style for these kids.  To allow a child to sit in front of the TV and do nothing but eat is rediculous!  Who is actually the adult in these situations?  Loving a child is about limitations, and you setting an example, even if it means that you get off your butt and take this child outside for some physical activity.  I don't believe any child would prefer to live like this unless there are some serious emotional issues going on, so these need to be addressed for both parent and child.  It's sad to see these children, it's heart wrenching to see how miserable they are.  When parents don't take the responsibility to do the right thing for the health of their child then the school or somebody needs to step in.  I don't think these kids need to be taken out of the home as they already have issues.  But help needs to be given some way, some how.

Replied By: haveyroo on Apr 10, 2009, 9:24AM

I am writing in response to your show yesterday.

I would like to state that generalizing ANY child with simple obesity and blaming the parents is not acceptable. For the first 2 years of my child's life she was healthy and normal. At age 2.5 she suddenly gained almost 20 lbs in one month. For 1 1/2 years I took her to 3 different hospitals in California ALL doctors blamed US for her weight and said we were overfeeding her. We put her on a 1,000 calorie strict diet and she still gained another 15lbs in 3 months. After 1 1/2 years in September 2007, we moved to MD and within 3 weeks of moving here she had a 45 minute seizure landing her in to Johns Hopkins where she was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma Cancer! Something the doctors missed in CA as she was born with this. Then in March 2008 she was diagnosed with ROHHAD Syndrome. It is an EXTREMELY RARE disease that affects ONLY 35 children WORLDWIDE. It stands for Rapid-Onset Obesity, Hypothalamic Dysfunction, Hypoventilation, and Autonomic Dysregulation. OUR children can not lose weight, ultimately stop breathing on their own and most have cardiac issues.

We were diagnosed childhood obesity for 1 1/2 years and our child could have died because of doctors and people who want to generalize that it's the PARENT'S fault. I am saddened that you would just destroy these parents. I'm sure most of them are overfeeding or feeding the wrong things to their children....but do not just throw a label on them and toss them to the side!

haveyroo.blogspot.com for more information on my daughter and other children with ROHHAD Syndrome

Replied By: lmhedstrom on Apr 9, 2009, 9:25PM - In reply to xmillicentx
My first grandchild is 7 weeks old today. Jayden was diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome within a few days of his birth. Luckily for Jayden he was born in the San Diego, CA area with available medical experts who quickly recognized the physical symptoms and to incredibly proactive, intelligent parents who pushed for an answer to Jayden's lethargy and weak muscle tone. Now less than 2 months after Jayden's birth my son and daughter-in-law are becoming self-taught experts in PWS. Jayden is already on CocQ10 and human growth hormone, being seen by physical and occupational therapists and has the best life medically , intellectually , spiritually and emotionally possible planned out for him. Dr. Phil missed the opportunity to educate the American public about this rare genetic condition. My guess is that many obese chidren and young adults today just weren't born under the right circumstances to have their PWS diagnosed in time for the early intervention necessary to attack the physical and mental challenges head on. I am looking forward to being Jayden's grandma for a long, long time.

Replied By: jejns1 on Apr 9, 2009, 8:28PM
I would like to pass on this information.
Has this child been evaluated by an Endocrinologist? What is her height? What percentile is she in for height? Has she been properly tested for a possible Growth Disorder? Has she been tested for Insulin Resistance, Premature Puberty, Premature Adrenarche or Late Onset Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia? All of these can cause blood glucose regulation problems and contribute to her raging for food! Don't be so quick to blame the Mom!

Replied By: francescake on Apr 9, 2009, 7:25PM
All the video footage of the home life of the three year old showed her eating off the floor. She was sitting on the floor eating. Her mother was sitting on her bed eating. The two brothers were sitting on the couch eating. They did not appear to have any family sit down meals. The three year old was sitting alone on the floor with breakfast !
Dr.Phil did not even mention that they never sat at a table to eat. If the three year old was only fed at a table with her family joining her for healthy meals a lot of this could be avoided or resolved. Who lets their kids eat on the floor alone at breakfast?
Just restricing food to at  a table would make a lot of this go away. Sure she can snack but at the table on fruit or veggies or whole grain toast with peanut butter.
A lot of her issues were obvioulsy because there was no routine in the house. The grandmother said she tells the three year old to take a nap at 7 AM !
Three years olds are up at 7 and ready to go time for breakfast and then playing outside.

I am not sure why Dr. Phil ignored the obvious chaos around meals in this house.

Replied By: lenadp on Apr 9, 2009, 6:02PM
Well, my 2 1/2 yr old would eat all day if I let him and I've wondered if he has worms or something that would cause that. He's not overweight. He weighs 34 lbs but I still wonder about his eating. He asks for cookies, chips, pancakes, hot dogs, sausage, pizza, soup, fruits, candy, anything and everything. I just know I don't want him to be overweight or become ill because of his diet.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Apr 9, 2009, 4:05PM - In reply to rewton
The trans-fat content used to keep me from eating donuts. Thought I'd never see a trans-fat free donut. Now that trans-fats are no longer an issue, Ive begun eating them again. Got to quit before they make me fat. LOL!

Replied By: cadescove99 on Apr 9, 2009, 4:05PM - In reply to rewton
The trans-fat content used to keep me from eating donuts. Thought I'd never see a trans-fat free donut. Now that trans-fats are no longer an issue, Ive begun eating them again. Got to quit before they make me fat. LOL!

Showing 1-10 of total 57 Comments