Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

After his last visit with Alexandra, Dr. Phil vowed he would not speak with her again unless she agreed to enter rehab for what he believes is an addiction to prescription pills. But, he admits he won’t give up on helping her because he’s committed to the well-being of her three young children who don’t have a voice in the drama. He devises a strategy and sends recovering addict and former Dr. Phil guest, Brandon and his mother, Debbie, to stage an intervention in an attempt to save Alexandra’s life. Emotions rise as the mother and son prepare Alexandra’s family, including her parents, Erin and Marty, and sister, Katherine, for the confrontation. As Marty faces the reality about his daughter’s alleged addiction and his deteriorating relationship with her, his emotions get the best of him. Furious, can he compose himself enough to be effective? When Alexandra arrives at the house for what she thinks is a family celebration, is she ready to hear what her family and friends have to say? Can anyone get through to her? Will she agree to treatment? Plus, don’t miss the dramatic conclusion to this emotional intervention on Wednesday!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: marianparoo on Jun 2, 2011, 2:41AM - In reply to ftmillguy
For some reason Dr. Mcgraw is totally in fantasy world when in comes to this girl/woman.

Remember him telling her she should be dating professional men, lawyers, doctors and the like?

Yeah, really.

It's obvious that Dr. Mcgraw's obsession with her has nothing to do with the children, he's had abusive and drug addict mothers on before and he never gave them so much time and so many chances.

Replied By: ftmillguy on Jun 1, 2011, 6:28AM - In reply to linda1629
I agree with your first paragraph but your 2nd about Alexandra going to  college and getting her kids back in the future couldn't be more wrong .That is a fantasy and unfortunately one that I believe is voiced by Dr.Phil . I'm sure for the show's sake he'd like to succeed and turn this useless woman around .Not going to happen .Her personality was set long ago ,long before the drugs and even before the pregnancy .She was pampered and coddled by Marty and Erin picked up the broken pieces of her life for her .In the end Dr.Phil has to concede defeat .This is not just another viewer telling him to cut her loose,this is another viewer standing up for her children and acknowledging that the WORST thing that could happen to them would be to return them to this ignorant ,spoiled and arrogant woman .To assume that if she got off drugs she'd be a good mother is a JOKE .She will always look out for herself only and would be a horrible role model for her children especially her daughter .When will Dr.Phil concede this and announce he is going to do everything in his power to help Erin get permanent legal custody ?My guess is never and that is a huge mistake .Dr.Phil,your credibility is on the line here !!

Replied By: blindjustice on May 31, 2011, 5:32PM
Alexandra wiil have to be in a medical situation that causes Her to go to the hospital by medical transport.

Replied By: blindjustice on May 31, 2011, 5:30PM
Alexandra needs to understand that medication will not correct a condition and after a peroid of time the medication will not work in the dose amount prescribed, which will only call for a higher amount of medication or a stronger medication to subdue the symptoms She is having.  It has been determined that there is no condition for Her to be taking the medication that She is taking, which shows that She is adicted to the medication, even without taking a higher dose or a stronger medication.  She has a trait of; "My doctor knows best" and will only listen to Her doctor, She will not accept any input from anybody else, sorry lost cause folks.

Replied By: linda1629 on May 31, 2011, 3:19PM
He's been following them for 8 years and I don't see where he's done any good. Alex now has 3 children, is homeless and addicted to drugs. Dr. Phil's involvement hasn't helped. That intervention was a joke. First of all, it should not have been done in the parent's home, it should have been a neutral location. Second, you don't listen to the addict when they make excuses, yell, and hurl insults; those should have been ignored and treated as background noise. They gave her too much leeway and she was too comfortable in that environment. During an intervention, the only thing you're interested in hearing from the addict is an agreement to go to treatment, other than that you tell them what they'll lose if they don't go. It was a poor attempt.

Several years from now, Alex will straighten up and get her kids back, maybe go to college and get a degree and when that happens Dr. Phil will say how he helped this girl out. It's been too long in coming and it doesn't seem like he has any influence at all over Alex. Time to cut his losses.

Replied By: hertwin on May 29, 2011, 12:55PM - In reply to dhouse1959
This pretty well sums up what I have been feeling also. Give it up! You are doing exactly what everyone else is doing, giving Alex chance after chance, after chance.   You said you were through with her, but look now.  You are once again trying to make her do something she is not interested in.  The is a pill head and not hitting bottom yet.  I am not sure exactly where that bottom is.  Go on to someone who will appreciate your help.

Replied By: marianparoo on May 29, 2011, 2:10AM - In reply to ilybob
,,,many years ago, I was in Al-Anon, the support group for friends and family of addicts, and found the whole philosphy not to my taste.

Also, why do you think Kathyrn is still using?

Replied By: ilybob on May 28, 2011, 3:52PM
 For so many years AA has been the only option, but there are newer addiction treatments like Health Realization and SMART recovery that show promise and so far are shown to be more effective.  Recovery isn't a "one size fits all" process.  AA did nothing for me, and I can't imagine in a million years how an "intervention" helps anyone.  It's more like an ambush, catching people off guard to attack them with scripted letters.  "You've hurt me in the following ways..."  After the first 7 people reading that redundantly it sounds SO phony!  I think it  was such a betrayl the way Alexandra was ambushed on Mother's day.  She doesn't want the help, the biggest issue is the enabling going on.  And Catherine?  She has been an addict in the past and no doubt using now.  How hypocritical for her to confront Alexandra!  I didn't believe her tears for one minute.  She just seemed gleeful for the drama and focus on Alexandra.  Both girls are spoiled brats, no doubt due to parenting they received.  Leave Alexandra alone.  That's the best way she can be helped at this point.

Replied By: marianparoo on May 28, 2011, 1:51AM - In reply to liclark
I don't think she ever had one. Look at her behavior from the very first show.

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on May 27, 2011, 10:27PM
When I watched this last episode of Alexandra and her intervention, I found myself hitting the "mute" button because I just couldn't listen to addict talk: repetitive and non-sensicle.  Although the focus was on Alexandra, it really became apparent that Alexandra's family has been traumatized by Alexandra's disease of addiction: that's why it's called, the "family disease."
I found myself relating to the circular conversations and the useless energy of trying to fix someone who is spiraling out of control.  I am an advocate of interventions, but I only believe in doing them once and then following through with the consequences if the addict remains adamant in staying in his/her addiction. There has to be a point at which one says, and believes, "enough is enough."
I saw Erin and Marty's relationship disintegrating and remembered how my marriage was in jeopardy of being ruined by all the obsessions and emotions that  prevented us from uniting and facing addiction as a healthy couple could, because we weren't healthy...............we had become sick too.
Thankfully, we found out about NAR-ANON at my daughter's rehab center and got ourselves there as soon as we could.  Nar-Anon members provided information and support that encouraged us to work on ourselves and to set healthy boundaries of protection so that our home was no longer a battlefield, but rather a sanctuary.
For those who are facing similar situations of having active addiction in their lives, I would like to encourage them to join us in Nar-Anon (a 12-step support program for the friends and families of addicts):
Nar-Anon: www.nar-anon.org Nar-Anon Forum: http://www.naranon.com/forum/

Showing 1-10 of total 334 Comments