Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

A sleepy Indiana town awoke one chilly Saturday morning in the winter of 1992 to discover the lifeless body of 12-year-old Shanda Sharer in an open field. She had been stabbed, strangled, beaten and burned alive. Who committed such a vicious and heinous crime on a child? As authorities hunted for the killer, a far more terrifying truth emerged in this picturesque Midwestern town and by day’s end, police had arrested four teenage girls -- three of whom had never met the victim until the day they abducted, kidnapped, tortured and lit her on fire. The story has captivated news headlines for 20 years, but for the first time on national television, Shanda’s grief-stricken mother, Jacque, and sister, Paije, share their story. Who was Shanda in life? How have they coped with her death? What do they think of the now grown women convicted of her murder? And could they ever forgive them? Plus, don’t miss the heart-wrenching confrontation Monday, when Jacque and Paije sit down with one of the four murderers since released from prison.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goodswin on Jan 1, 2014, 1:07PM
Hi Dr Phil i live in the uk so i watch yours shows on youtube i have watched the show in cold blood a few times. I new a bit about this case as i read and watch a lot on true crime. I con't believe that hope is out walking the streets they should of all went to prison all there life life should mean life utill they die. I feel so sorry for this family the pain they must of gone though . I see some comments have said that her dad should of not let her out but he would of had no way of knowing what was going to happen he paid the price because he drunk himself to death so he blamed himself by the sounds of it. I think when hope was talking 90% of was self pitty well thats the way it came accross. keep up the good shows

Replied By: bexbennett on Sep 20, 2013, 12:28AM
It disgusts me that they release people who commit such a heinous crimes. They should ensure that these murderers serve their full sentence. They are evil and cruel. I don't think they should ever be released to be honest. More importance is put on the care of these murderers than on the crime they committed and the suffering they caused first to this poor girl and then her family.  I am sickened by them.  And I now see that Melinda Loveless is training dogs for the disabled and seems to be having a wonderful time in prison. I dunno it just doesn't sit well with me.

Replied By: daddyody on May 10, 2012, 6:52PM - In reply to shelbymarie
Sorry to sound crass, but a 14 year old is mature enough to know that killing someone is wrong, and permanant - she used the phone to make a call in the middle of the torture - she went into a gas station and spoke to the clerk in the middle of the night - she could have stopped the torture and murder just by opening her mouth - she deserved the punishment she received - in Indiana, an accessory to murder is treated the same as the actual murderer -  if Shanda was YOUR daughter you'd be a little sympathetic to a girl that took your child away!

Replied By: myraiya on Dec 12, 2011, 8:18AM - In reply to erictisa
it's not the family who needs to forgive the murderer...but the victim.

Replied By: myraiya on Dec 12, 2011, 8:14AM - In reply to ericahart
i don't think your innocent if you stand by and watch. i also don't think it's an excuse. it just sounded as if she was terribly sorry for herself.

Replied By: galadrialle on Dec 1, 2011, 11:20PM - In reply to shelbymarie
It was an extremely evil act but Amanda was not to blame for the action of her jealous 'friend' IMHO the parents should not have let a 12 year old girl go out at night with 3 girls she did not know. They should have been responsible and met the girls first.

Replied By: shelbymarie on Nov 30, 2011, 11:02PM
I just saw the show about the murder of Shanda Sharer. It was very well done, but I have to object to something. Shanda's family referred to Amanda Heavrin as a predator and molester. She was 14 at the time which does not make her a molester as there were only 2 years between them. She would not have been charged. The mother also made a comment about being a lesbian that sounded very much like that was a bad thing. I think Dr Phil should have pointed out that being a lesbian is not the issue, and that legally Amanda is not a pedophile.

I also have to ask why was Phil nicer to the girl who set Shanda on fire than Amanda, who did nothing wrong except get caught in a love triangle? If one of Phil's exes murdered Robin does that make him guilty? No. Amanda didn't word herself well, but you could see she was clearly upset when she said she never got to say goodbye to Shanda. She was a 14 year old child at the time!!! Stop treating her like a criminal.

Replied By: vlboston on May 31, 2011, 4:11PM
My heart goes out to this family. My sister was killed by her boyfriend, stabbed 16 times and then set a fire in the house to cover up his crime. Just like the mother on your show, I comforted myself by saying, God took her out of her body and she was not in pain during her ordeal. I truly believe that with all my heart.

We come from a large deeply religious family, (7 girls and 5 boys). Dad, (a Deacon until his death), my son a minister, my brother a minister and my brother-law a minister and we all struggled immediately after my sister’s death. We relied on our religious upbringing and continued to believe, no matter how tragic her death and how much pain we felt, we all knew that God was in control and it was not for us to understand, just accept. Believe me, I know, a lot easier to say than to do.

As time moved on, we begin to heal by relying on our belief and each other. I am now the team leader for our Church Bereavement/Support Ministry. I cannot change what happened to our family but I have and will continue to help others based on my experiences.

The person that killed my sister is still in prison. I want to believe that if he was paroled; my family and I would not hold bitterness toward him. I won’t really know until that day happens. But this I know, if I continue to focus on him, he controls me. I REFUSE TO LET HIM CONTROLL MY LIFE.

If I had a chance to talk to him, I would also ask why. But, in all honestly, there is noting he can say that would help me to understand and I fear that not getting an answer to satisfy me would only bring back the pain. So, I ask this mother and daughter to think about the funny things your loved one did or said her smile, her joy and how she enriched your lives. Please allow yourself to stop mourning.  I won’t continue to mourn my sister because that represents death and my sister, Alice D. Davis, represented life.

Replied By: amymarie1977 on May 31, 2011, 1:03PM - In reply to mrenninger
The father was asleep when she snuck out. They were there earlier in the evening and she told them to come back. That is why they came back after midnight.

Replied By: nenamatahari on May 29, 2011, 12:09AM
A friend of mine who grew up in Indiana briefed me about the story a few years ago, so when I saw this on Dr. Phil, it sounded familiar.

Any way, I had horrible nightmares after watching the show. =( I just can't wrap my mind around why anyone would do something so vicious and horrible to somebody. I just don't get it.

I found myself putting myself in Shanda's shoes and the terror she must have felt that horrible night and I felt so sad and just horrid for that little girl and her family.

I just don't understand it. How can four girls do that? I just don't get it.

My heart goes out to Jaque and Paije. =(

Showing 1-10 of total 109 Comments