Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original AIr Date: 05/10/11) Dr. Phil talks to mothers-in-law fighting with their sons-in-law and the relatives caught in the crossfire of these ongoing feuds. Greg and Amy have only been married 10 months, but the couple says Amy’s mom, Terry, is ruining their relationship. Greg says his mother-in-law is manipulative and controlling, and she even called Child Protective Services on him for allegedly abusing Amy’s young children. Terry says Greg curses all the time, can’t keep a job and made her 5-year-old grandson wear a diaper to school as punishment for sucking his thumb -- a claim Greg denies. Is Terry a meddling mother-in-law or just a concerned grandmother? Then, Donna, says her son-in-law, Steve, is an abusive parent who hits her grandchildren. Steve refutes this and says his mother-in-law is a “man-hater” trying to ruin his marriage. Donna’s daughters, Rochelle and Shannon, speak up about the family drama, and you’ll be surprised to learn whom they think is to blame. Whose side are you on? Tune in and decide!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lgiraodo on Sep 4, 2011, 8:08AM - In reply to debca810
I bet a million dollars her family has no idea about his other child. I had a beautiful baby girl 15 months ago that GREG has only paid one month of child support on and last friday July, 29 2011 he appeared in court to sign his rights over. The last the the judge said was "do you think it is in this babys best interest to reside with the mother?" and he said, "YES MAAM"

Replied By: lgiraodo on Sep 4, 2011, 8:03AM - In reply to debca810

Replied By: debca810 on Aug 29, 2011, 5:28PM
"Fools go where angels fear to tread".  I think that is a quote all of us in laws  should think about.  I am  a mother in law with 3 grandchildren.  My daughter in law and I are very different people, with very different priorities, life styles and expectations. She has some parenting techniques and styles that I certainly don't agree with, but I when I am a guest, yes a guest in her house, I make every possible attempt not to interfere with discipline or any other parenting task, even if I have to leave and get away for awhile.  My son's loyalty lies with his wife, not with his mother ,which is as it should be.  If my advise is solicited, I try to give my best advise with as much caution as possible, as even solicited advise somthimes becomes overbearing and interfereing. I above all know that if I interfered it would be me on the outside, alienated from my family, including my daughter in law, son and grandchildren all of whom I love very much.  The one exception would be if a child is being abused and/or neglected, children deserve protection from anyone who is perpetrating abuse or neglect on them.  But if you make that call, you need to be sure your actions are reality based, and not because you don't agree with your grown child's life choices.

Replied By: roboho on Aug 29, 2011, 4:35PM
Both of the grandmothers on today's show are meddlers who need to let their daughters make decisions for themselves and stop prompting (coaching) their grandchildren into talking negatively about their parents. They are creating a living situation in which they are actually nurturing a child into being manipulative.  If a child knows that if that tell grandma that daddy is being mean then daddy and mommy will get in trouble with grandma you can bet your boots that the child will do it.  Look at what children do to each other to get each other in trouble.  Children don't have any concept of adult notions of relationships.  They know instant gratification and who loves me best. 

My mother did this with my oldest child and I bought into it lock, stock and barrel.  The result?  My 22 year old son can't tell the truth to save his live, hold a job or pay his bills.  He makes really bad decisions and thinks the rest of the world is the problem, not him.  We taught him to play us off of each other and it worked for him pretty well until it was time for him to fly the nest and take care of himself.

After a five year estrangement and the birth of my first grandchild my mother and I are finally on speaking terms again.  Our number one agreement is that we don't let my son play us anymore.  We both admit that we've ruined him with our infighting and we both wish we could take it all back.

It's too late now but my mother finally realizes she should have minded her own business and just been a grandma.

Replied By: charlotte44 on Aug 29, 2011, 3:54PM
OK there are so many parents that forget that when your kids married God says to leave your mother and farther and Cleve to each other  , so moms and dads alike that means to teach your kids that when they get married they are to put there spouse above you there  husbands or wife's come first my son just got married in June i have always taught him his wife is 1st not me and i told here if ever ever tried to put me over her just give him a good kick because he knows better i may not like his choices but they are his to make i love him but i come 1st in my husbands life and i expect my son to put his wife first That is Gods plan if we use Gods plan the Way he says this would never be a problemjust sad everyone has forgotten to read the rulebook (bible)

Replied By: lvnpeace on Aug 29, 2011, 3:28PM - In reply to gretchenbarker
HOW TRUE- pitting the child against parents or step parents is horrible and is abusive.  This child is 4 years old! And a 4 year old can "fib".  I've caught my own grandchild  doing it to get me to come and get her. She called me on speed dial and said, "Come over here and smack your kid."  My daughter started laughing in the background because she knew I would say, "You mind your mama."

Replied By: sue_sue11 on Aug 29, 2011, 3:20PM
I watched to day!  Wow don't those grandma's know that the grand kids will expand stories when they think they can get something out of it?  We grannies want the best and never think our kids do "it" like we would have.  We have more time on our hands than we did when we were raising our own.  I have 13 grand babies and 2 great grand babies.  I love all of them, and i have felt at times they all needed my "help" !  I know that things my grand kids say need to be taken with a grain of salt! I talk to their sibblings and after a time I find away to talk to my sons or daughter and give them a hint into what their kids say.  Watch, love and be a grannie not a mom now!

Replied By: lvnpeace on Aug 29, 2011, 3:19PM
I married a man 3 years after leaving my abusive alcholic husband who beat me. My mother adored him and they drank together. She hated my new husband and felt he was "cold".  He wasn't close to my children, was closer to the 2 year old daughter he brought to our marriage. Though I did wish he was closer to my children, I could see how much all of us loved his daughter. She sort of bonded all of us together.  My husband tried to be a good stepfather, and it was hard, especially with my mother's interference. He put food on the table every night.  Our utilities were never shut off. My children had warm clothing and boots. My youngest (who later died at 19) had very expensive medical problems, which he paid without ever complaining. My ex would not pay child support and each time I tried to collect, he took it out on the children by refusing to see or speak to them. Ofcourse, my mother didn't believe he would really do that. Short story- My husband died soon after my daughter.  Her death actually killed him.  He died of cancer, and my other two children, the ones supposedly without any love from him, have mourned him these last 10 years. We can't speak of him or my daughter without crying.
THERE IS A SAYING: The defination of a grandchild is the perfect child who is being raised all wrong.
I don't agree with everything my daughters do as parents. I wonder sometimes if they got anything from the way I raised them. My grandkids cling to me and beg me to take them with me. It is what grand kids do and YES, I am going to spoil them. That's what grandmas get to do!

Replied By: mac5412 on Aug 29, 2011, 3:19PM
I am uterly dissapointed!  I registered with the website just to post a comment on today's show.  I find the reliancy on the child protective services upsetting.  I reccommend to the family members of the children with alligations of abuse to continue to keep an eye out and make notes of specific events, situations and dates, photos if necessary.  Now that Dr.Phil has told you to back off, this gives the possible abuser even more power.  A child's greatest fear of telling the truth is that no one will belive it is the truth and the situation will get worse.  If the children are being abused now the abuser(s) will tell them that no one will believe them.  That will most likely prevent the child from coming forth in the future.  I feel so strongly about this because I was sexually abused as a child by my stepfather, I had watched some after-school special about a similar situation when I was 7, and talked about it with a friend.  She of course told the school counselor and I was called in and met with child protective services.  Later that day they went to my home. I was not told they would be coming to my home, and I had never told my mom about what had happened.  My mother was furious, and said that she knew I hated my stepfather and that because of the movie I probably made it up.  And that was the verdict.  I stayed, was beaten for "lying" and continued to endure sexual abuse until I was 13.   DO NOT DISCOUNT WHAT THE CHILDREN ARE SAYING- DO NOT LET ONE VISIT FROM CPS STAND AS PROOF OF NO ABUSE!

Replied By: lvnpeace on Aug 29, 2011, 3:17PM
I married a man 3 years after leaving my abusive alcholic husband who beat me. My mother adored him and they drank together. She hated my new husband and felt he was "cold".  He wasn't close to my children, was closer to the 2 year old daughter he brought to our marriage. Though I did wish he was closer to my children, I could see how much all of us loved his daughter. She sort of bonded all of us together.  My husband tried to be a good stepfather, and it was hard, especially with my mother's interference. He put food on the table every night.  Our utilities were never shut off. My children had warm clothing and boots. My youngest (who later died at 19) had very expensive medical problems, which he paid without ever complaining. My ex would not pay child support and each time I tried to collect, he took it out on the children by refusing to see or speak to them. Ofcourse, my mother didn't believe he would really do that. Short story- My husband died soon after my daughter.  Her death actually killed him.  He died of cancer, and my other two children, the ones supposedly without any love from him, have mourned him these last 10 years. We can't speak of him or my daughter without crying.
THERE

Showing 1-10 of total 152 Comments