Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/09/11) All parents want their children to succeed, but when does a competitive spirit cross the line? Gina says she’s so determined to make her 16-year-old daughter, Cidnee, a model that she puts the teen on a strict diet with rigorous exercise and even makes her do chores in high heels! Cidnee says Gina’s criticism is damaging her self-worth, but she doesn’t want to disappoint her mother. One of the world’s original supermodels, Beverly Johnson, weighs in. Will her insight help Gina change her controlling ways? Then, Linda says she wants her 16-year-old daughter, Sydney, to be Miss USA, but the teen wonders if this is more her mom’s dream than hers. Find out what a professional pageant coach thinks after sitting down with this mother and daughter. Plus, meet a woman who says her 13-year-old daughter could be the next Miley Cyrus!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: violindigo on Jan 4, 2012, 7:00PM
I watched the show with interest. It only aired in Australia today. I am a Suzuki trained violin/piano teacher and an important part of the philosophy is involving the parent in the child's education and is ideally aimed at children starting music lessons as pre-schoolers.

I am therefore of the opinion that parents are the most important teacher's that children will ever have. Their involvement in the process is so critical to their children's success. It is a parent's responsibility to guide their children through the different stages of childhood. Its just about finding the best method to do so and that's what these parents need help with. They should not be shut out or thrown under the bus for wanting their kids to be their best they can be.

I think there are many more parents who are too disengaged and disinterested these days than not. I would love to see a show that deals with these sorts of parents. As teachers we see the full mix.

Replied By: smartdog on Aug 15, 2011, 6:44PM
Sometimes I wish my Mom would push me a little, I just want her support and love but she won't give it to me.  I love Dr. Phil show I think he really help people, I really, really wish that he would help my Mom because I really think that she is depressed and just because she isn't happy, she is emotionally abusive to me.  I wish I could talk with Dr. Phil.  I Just want my Mom to be happy and STOP PICKING ON ME!!

But I think some mothers are too pushy and abusive though like these mothers, I think if mothers are too pushy then the child will shut down and won't like it anymore.

So support your kids but DON'T over do it!!  Because you don't want your kids to hate what they like to do.

Replied By: shivara on Aug 15, 2011, 10:16AM - In reply to jennysgram
I agee. Her daughter will end up talking like that. If she is to be a model, giving interviews will happen. If she talks like her mom nobody will want to listen.

Replied By: philosophy14 on Aug 12, 2011, 11:49PM
How does one "retire from psychology" in practice of lifestyle?

Replied By: soildp on Aug 12, 2011, 6:42PM
hi theink for mom shes carring her daughter to hard and i dont think its fair than she shall push her daughter to the end like than. pushy mom need to get some help for hersely its like she is putting her stress and not happy on her daugther its like she had man prombles in her life and she meed s help bad she dont desave to be a mom .

Replied By: elphiero on Aug 12, 2011, 6:01PM
While I was watching this show today, all I could think about was how this was a flashback to my childhood and teenage years. Starting from 5 years old, my mom put me in piano, voice, modeling, acting, dance, and guitar lessons. I can honestly never remember wanting it or it being my passion. I never cared... and yes it was fun for a little while because I made friends in all my classes but after a while, I just wanted to go to school and come home and relax and do homework at home instead of doing homework during the breaks between my lessons or in the car going to different auditions. My mom never let me quit. If I even mentioned that I wanted to quit, she just pushed me harder and made it all worse. There was so much pressure on me during my teenage years that I snapped. I never had friends because I was too busy to maintain friendships or put any effort in keeping friends. When I was in high school I had huge pressure to get in to a good college all the while going to different lessons and never having enough time to do enough homework to actually LEARN anything because I was too busy doing everything else. I started to cut becuase I couldn't cope and it wasn't until then that my mom finally understood it wasn't what I wanted and it was too much. I'm 23 now and pursuing my true passion of being a theatrical sound designer... I did end up in the entertainment business but behind the scenes instead. My mom, however, never lets me forget what she wanted for me. Whenever I land a gig for a show, she always has to jab at me that I would be better on stage then behind the sound board, or if I'm running low on money or struggling to find a gig (as is common sometimes) she reminds me how much money I could be making performing. She doesn't understand (even to this day) that I LOVE technical theater and there is literally nothing else I would rather do than the art of putting on a show... even if it means struggling between gigs.
These girls are teenagers, it may be their passions (for the singer and the first model) but they're still kids, they want to goof off, sleep in, pig out, all the normal teenage things... that doesn't mean they're not passionate about it. They may love it but they're not necessarily fully responsible enough yet to understand that a passion sometimes means sacrifice. I wouldn't expect them as sixteen and thirteen year olds to fully understand it either. My hope for them is that they are fully able to realize their dreams in the way they want it to happen. Its much more fulfilling when you discover what makes you truly happy and you do it because its what YOU want.

Replied By: facilito on Aug 12, 2011, 2:54PM
These girls does not have what it takes to be a model and famous. they need to have a beautiful face. the first girl (afro America) she got nice eyes, but her nose is to big, besides her mouth does not have proportion. The second girl (white girl with the big smile) is ugly but her mom is horrible. The third one (copy of hanna Montana) is too simple, her face produces in me depression instead of joy. I suggest none of them will try to be famous. If they want to be famous they need serious plastic surgery, I mean I lot.

Replied By: loyal_viewer on Aug 12, 2011, 2:11PM
...just wanted to share what I was feeling while I watched  today's show, "Pushy Moms"...  and while yes, they are being pushy, these daughters should be grateful they have a parent that actually cares so deeply that their daughters succeed!!  I wish with all of my heart my mother had been like that!  Unfortunately my mother was rarely around....usually she was at her "boyfriend of the moment"s house....while I looked after my 5 younger brothers and sisters...she did not care what I was doing, who I spent my time with, nor what kind of grades I made.  Fortunately for me I had a high school English teacher, whom I babysat for, that lead me down a path to a semi-sucessful future.  I do still wonder  though if my life now would be better if my mother would have been there for me growing up.  Don't get me wrong, I don't blame her.  She delt with alot from my father and I'm sure after she left him....seeking "love" from men was her way of coping?? 

Replied By: hpmx59 on Aug 6, 2011, 10:42AM
Doctor Moms Phil Pushy Robin? That is wrong to have Moms Pushy at all. See you on 08/12/11. Sincerley-- Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replied By: frenchchick on May 15, 2011, 9:52PM
Ok I have never posted anything on any shows, but this infuriated me. What Gina is doing is child abuse pure and simple. Unreal.

Showing 1-10 of total 43 Comments