Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 04/14/11) No parent should ever know the pain of losing a child. Baby Brennan died of SIDS when he was just 11 weeks old. His mother, Liz, has difficulty visiting his gravesite because she says she blames herself for his death. Since the cause of SIDS is unclear, there are still questions surrounding Brennan's passing. Liz’s family members say they discovered pharmacy bags and prescriptions for narcotics in Liz’s home. Was she using drugs while caring for her child? Could she have done anything differently? Former Dr. Phil guest, recovering addict and author of The Interventionist, Joani Gammill, goes inside the family's home and reveals the shocking way Liz has been coping with her loss. Is this grieving mom ready to face her pain and save her own life? When Dr. Phil throws her a lifeline, will she grab hold? Then, Meagan was just 73 pounds when she left Dr. Phil’s stage six months ago. How is she doing now? See her remarkable update!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: abbylane1111 on May 12, 2014, 5:18AM
did my comment disappear

Replied By: abbylane1111 on May 12, 2014, 5:16AM
The way the show was going, it seemed like one of Dr. Phils sensationlistic theme shows. It seems like he was  trying really hard to pain Liz as a murderer. I hate when Dr. Phil does this. He acts like he is trying to help someone when he is really tring to convict them.  He talks to these people like they are stupid.  I have a bad feeling that Liz and her family feel like they were lied to and had no idea the show was going to paint her this way.

Replied By: rebekahz on Mar 29, 2012, 7:32AM
I lost my baby at 3 1/2 months old.She passed away with my mother in a fire.My heart breaks everyday for them.I was there but I paniced and tried to get help and was unable to reenter.I blame myself everyday.If only I were a better mom and ran after her instead of out the door.If only I thought of ways to put the fire out clearer.Our water was off that even due to a pipe break.My brother had to come fix it for us.So it was going through a drying period.I remember going to the dog dish.If only I thought of the refrigerator.It's all those what if that I feel now.I still feel so alone and empty. My world went crashing b4 my eyes.I lost a big part of me that night.So I totally understand.And everyday I am faced with the memories and talk bout me killing my family from my husbands family.It breaks my heart even more.If I had done something.Maybe they would be alive today.I have a hard time going near where they died.I try at times to face what happened but it's so hard to do.I have their ashes .Every now and then I actually take the bag out of the heart shaped box with so many of her things.And I will hold them and tell her over and over again that I'm sorry and love her so much.So I know what she's going through.

Replied By: cheryllsidrian on Aug 31, 2011, 11:51AM
As I sat and watched this program tears were running down my face. I felt every bit of her pain. The loss of a child is undescribable. Unfortuneately drugs and alcohol are a huge factor in how some people cope. My dad passed away 6years ago and the pain and grief was just unbearable; so i climbed as far as I could into a bottle and no one could help me for four years. I moved away from my children, moved in with a man 22 years my younger and did not care. I don't know what it was ,but one day I woke up, looked at him and said what the HELL AM I DOING? Today I share a house with my oldest daughter and doing VERY WELL. Grief can  destroy you unless you don't get help, or in my case finally had enough of self destruction. I am going to pray for this young woman everday and hope that she heals. GOD BLESS YOU DR. PHIL for helping so many people.

Replied By: beisenhood on Aug 30, 2011, 6:45PM
It's been over four months since Liz left for treatment. I'm dying to know if she's well on the road to recovery. Does anyone know anything?

Replied By: averageterri on Aug 30, 2011, 6:36PM - In reply to nasale
Dr Phil,  I think you were a little too hard on the mother who lost her baby.  When she hesitated and said "ok", you sat in silence.  I saw the look on her face, she was trying to decide if she even wanted to live, I could see right into her soul and knew that is what she was thinking about it.  How did you miss that look, I could hear her soul screaming out  'I don;t know if I want to live through this" but all you wanted  was a thank you and gratitude from her, could'nt you see her pain, how she was trying to destroy herself so she could be with her baby?  I think you should have had a little more compassion for a mother who has lost her child for no reason, it is a pain I would not wish on my worst enemy.  God bless and comfort her while she fights for her life, she is going to need all His help and love.  Terri

Replied By: chrissymama on Aug 30, 2011, 6:23PM
I watched today's show and am so worried about this Mother.  I lost my brother on 3.13.2010 due to an overdose.  He sold personal and family merchandise to get his drugs and even stole from my Mother's perscription drugs. My Mother has an illness where she requires the highest pain meds out there.  He realized at one point he needed help and went voluntarly for one weekend then checked himself out.  He replaced the drugs with food, alcohol and cough syrup.  He gained probably 80 pounds in eight months.  My brother and I went out with some friends for his 30th birthday and he was drunk and we all ended up crashing at my Mom's apartment since she wasn't there that night.  She usually locks up her pills because he used to steal them but that night she left some perscriptions out and since he was in his drunken mindset it seemed like a good idea to take some of the pills.  Mom came home and we found him dead in her bed the next morning.  Three weeks later my Uncle passed (Mom's brother) and then three months later my Grandpa died (Mom's step-father).  How do I help my Mom?  She is dealing with her own illness and is now having suicidal thoughts and it has been a year and a half since she lost her son.  I hope the Mother on this show will read this and realize that it doesn't matter how smart, gifted, talented, funny and nice you are....it will happen to you if you don't get the help you need and why would you want to do that to your husband??  He just lost his baby boy!  Time to get your head together and think of others in your family besides yourself.  Your son wouldn't want this for his Mother!  Please keep us updated and I wish the best to you.  Please dont let what happened to my big Brother, my best friend, happen to you and your family.  Your Mother and Husband need you!  Thank you for sharing your story because I believe you helped a lot of people out there!  You gave me sense of what my Brother was thinking and feeling throughout the years of his addiction.  Thank you and Good Luck!  If any Mother's are out there that have lost a child and are reading this...I could use any advice on how to help my Mom through this loss of her son, my brother!

Replied By: shubbard on Aug 30, 2011, 4:22PM - In reply to houseofcards
She went to Center for Change in Utah.  You can visit their website at www.centerforchange.com.

Replied By: dharrison1 on Aug 30, 2011, 3:31PM
While I have never had a child, nor have I experienced the loss of a child, I will not sit here and I understand your pain, because I have never been in your shoes.  

I have watched My niece Kelly and her Husband, Dominic deal with the loss of their 9 month old son, Trevor.  Trevor died from blunt force trauma to his head.  His day care provider of 2 days was investigated, charged, tried and found Guilty and is serving her sentence.

Kelly has been amazing, she has gotten up EVERYDAY, dealt with this whole ordeal without resorting to drugs.  Trust me this has NOT been easy.  Kelly and her husband have had fingers pointed at them, rumors had been flying they they were responsible for Trevor's death, because he was placed in daycare.  Before they were allowed to turn off the life suppport machines,  they were taken away from Trevors side and
questioned separately.  Again on the day they buried Trevor, more questions.  They both cooperated fully.  And were cleared.

Kelly has been a rock for alot of the family members.  I can only say AMAZING.  She started a blog about her feelings and her experiences.  She has been a prolific writer.  I have described, on more than one occasion,  Kelly is my Hero. I know it seems like I am rambling on.

Again I have never lost a child,  but there was a different way that you could have handled your grief.

Replied By: qkitty on Aug 30, 2011, 3:13PM
Dr Phil
I am sure you heard me yelling at the TV from Ohio.  I am 49 and have been married for 27 Years to THE most patirnt man on earth.  I am in a bi racial rmarriage and my mother was so those mothers on TV.  I encouraged my husband to take it for so many years till finally he said enough is enough.  He trusted me to protect the children from her but removed himself from her life. 
From that point on she did everthing in her power to try to get him to like her talk to her and be her son in law.  She passed away 2 years ago and he and I both felt as if we did the best to respect her and taught our children how to treat your elders even if they are for a lack of better words wrong. 
My family is stronger my children are very very respectful.  My siblings who played the game are all having problems.
I wish that Grandparents would do just taht be a grandparent and enjoy their grandchildren and leave the raising to us
Thanks
Marlene

Showing 1-10 of total 51 Comments