Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 04/04/11) If you or someone you know is quick to anger, scientists believe they may know why. A new study suggests that inside a rageaholic’s DNA, "a warrior gene" may be pulling the strings. Lori, Bryan and Big Brother's biggest bully, Scott Long, say when their anger takes over, it often leaves a wake of destruction in its path. Find out what Lori has coined her anger-induced "magic trick," learn about a night that ended with Bryan sending a soda can through a wall, and what happened during Scott’s violent encounter with a city bus driver. Could today's guests be genetically predisposed to fits of fury? Plus, don’t miss their reaction when DNA results are revealed!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lindanul on Apr 26, 2012, 5:02PM
 I REALLY DON,T SEE WHAT IS WRONG WITH  ERIN  CALLING ALEX AND SHE HEARS THE KIDS IN THE BACKGROUND, EVENTUALLY ALEX WILL BE DEALING WITH HER CHILDREN IF SHE IS IN RECOVERY SO I THINK THAT IT IS SOMETHING THAT ALEX HAS TO FACE,  I HAVE BEEN IN RECOVERY FOR MANY YEARS NOW  AND NO BODY WALKED ON EGGSHELLS FOR ME, IT ANNOYS ME THAT DR, PHIL SAYS ALEX WILL BE USING IF HER MOM  DOESN,T DO  EVERYTHING JUST RIGHT THEREFORE CAUSING HER TO USE AGAIN, REGARDLEST OF THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU WHO TRY TO HELP OR SAY THE WRONG THING OR " ENABLE" IT IS THE ADDICTS CHOICE TO PICK UP AGAIN.

Replied By: silinda on Aug 4, 2011, 5:32PM

Replied By: kristenmarie81 on Jul 28, 2011, 12:20PM
Thank you SO much for Tuesday's show! I found it very informative. I myself have struggled with rage for years. I'm relieved to know I'm not alone and there might finally be an answer to my problem. My rage has cost me friends,family, & jobs. I've been in therapy for a few years now, and have yet to find something to calm myself, or any medications that help supress anything. Medications seem to make my symptoms worse. I'm going to find a way to get myself tested for the mao-a gene. I think it's the answer I've been looking for all these years....

Replied By: jeannie812 on Jul 27, 2011, 7:00PM
I never understood why I was with such angry men.  Now I have an idea.   They were all wronged in their childhood, and they probably have that angry gene.  Actually,  I insist they have that gene cause no one bursts into anger over the slightest  slight,  but they did.

Most of these guys will never realize they have a problem, not while they got a woman to blame.  Then again she is still to blame after he is  no longer with her cause she caused long lasting something to him. What a bitch....she damaged him for life. ..Her self esteeme is shot, and she is home alone,  while he is playing the girls at the bar...but she musta did something bad to him,  right?

Replied By: lmsensa on Jul 27, 2011, 2:18PM
My son Tim has so much anger in him that you would not be...
He scares me when he gets out of control... I believe that if he can't get a hold of this he will kill someone some day....
He gets this look in his eyes and I swear they turn RED....
It could be the smallest thing that sets him off...
My husband and I have been dealing with this for a long time and the Doctors here keep saying it ADAH well I don't think so..
He has no problem being still and paying attention...
Its his ANGER ISSUES instead...
I just wish someone would help us with this before we lose him to crime...

Replied By: franciefrog on Jul 27, 2011, 10:26AM
Dr. Phil,
Thank you so much for this show, I thought maybe I was going out of my mind, or have already gone.  We have a son that is a Born to Rage young man big time, and Brian confirmed what I always thought was a stubborn streak in our son. Thank you Brian for sharing!!!!  Our son gets so angry he does black out and does not remember what he has done.  We adopted him and his twin brother when they were 6, the first week we had them I watched him pick up a twin size bed and throw it across the room, he had no memory of it.  He is now 27, he still battles with this everyday.  We have gotten him convinced that when he gets to the point of " I'm going to hurt someone or thing" to call someone, we don't care who just call....He chooses to call me, and after talking to him sometimes 45 to 50 minutes he will calm down and start thinking more rationally. It has been almost a year since he has had to call me!!!!
 I was not the perfect mother to him or his brother,I worked full time and with three little boys, watching tv was not an option much.  But your program yesterday helped me see that he needs more help in this area then I can give him, my question for now is his twin is the total opposite of him, so could one have the warrior gene and the other not? When he calls me am I enabling him to think that anyone will be able to talk to him and calm him down, or making him beleive I am the only one that can do this? 
A there any books out there that a layman could read to help oneself learn more about this gene and it's affects? 
Thank you Dr. Phil for a great program.

Replied By: sherriberry on Jul 27, 2011, 9:09AM - In reply to lorraine000
I couldn't agree with you more......VERY WELL SAID.

Replied By: sherriberry on Jul 27, 2011, 9:07AM
I am a little concerned that this newly identified condition will give people a free pass for bad behaviour and quite possibly a legal defense in the event of such behaviour.
Although I will agree that some people are wired differently and they have very poor impulse and anger control, but exactly how is this gene identified as being specific to certain people only.
The guests on the show today appeared to me to be just spoiled, self-centered and angry when they didn't get things their own way. It seems absurd to me that it is logical behaviour to have such an extreme reaction to the actions of other people and then feel justified in how they CHOOSE to respond.  I'm sorry, but I don't believe that is an unusual genetic response, so much as it is having a serious lack of social skills, coping mechanisms and moral compass.
This so-called warrior gene sounds like junk science to me.

Replied By: troopersmomma on Jul 27, 2011, 7:42AM - In reply to artpets
I think it's unfair of you group people with mental disabilities into your brothers lil click...I have bipolar...and probably the warrior gene (wouldnt doubt it for a second) but...I work...and have worked -several jobs at one time even...I also have ADD...I'm a mother, wife, friend and a decent human being...that was not fair of you to place that stigma on everyone else because your brother choose the route he did.
Maybe you need to have a nice long look at yourself and why you are so resentful.

Replied By: troopersmomma on Jul 27, 2011, 4:20AM
I didn't catch the tail end of the show- I'm 100% positive myself, husband and both kids probably all have this gene- just as sure that my both my parents have it.
Where is the info this testing kit and I thought he said something about answering some questions to see if you are at risk..National Geographic something or other...couldnt follow because the DH was leaving for work.

Showing 1-10 of total 160 Comments