Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

Viewers had a strong reaction to Kimberly and David’s first two appearances, as they struggle to raise rebellious teen daughters, Alexis, 17, and Alaina, 15. At their wits' end dealing with issues such as teen drinking, drug use, reckless driving and disrespecting authority, these parents accepted Dr. Phil’s offer to send their girls to a residential program in Utah for out-of-control teens. When Kimberly and David returned to report the remarkable progress their girls were making, Dr. Phil didn’t mince words about the mistakes the couple continued to make. Now, the parents return again. Find out what happened after the girls finished their program in Utah, why Kimberly and David are in conflict about what the next step is, and how a near-death experience could be affecting this family’s decisions.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: dglavin96 on Sep 30, 2012, 12:25PM
I became a Dr Phil fan only recently when I started watching on OWN in the morning while working out.  The only downside is that I have to endure endless promos for OWN shows that I wouldn't watch at gunpoint.  I find most of the Dr Phil episodes interesting and informative and have sought out more online.  The series of episodes involving this family was fascinating.  Like most viewers, I was frustrated by the father's inability to see the error of his ways and accept Dr Phil's advice.  Is there another update planned, or does anyone know what happened after the last of the 3 episodes?

Replied By: aliciajade on Apr 23, 2012, 3:01PM
I never actually got to see this show, but hen my mom told me about it I was excited to find out more about it. When I was 14 years old my parents sent me to Turn About Ranch. I was there from March 09-June09. I was smoking pot, skipping school almost every day, cutting myself, threatening to hurt my parents and so on. Eventually it got to a point where my parents couldn't handle me anymore. One day they told me we were going on vacation for a week. I was super excited. A few days later we ended up At the ranch and all I remember is the lady driving the jeep turnned and looked at me and asked me if I was going to say goodbye to my parents. I laughed. I had no idea what was happening. She told me that my parents were leaving and I was staying. I broke down and got very angry. I wouldn't hug my parents and I would not say goodbye. It was probably the hardest 3 months of my life, but it was also some of the best times of my life. I learned to much about myself, and about what I was capable of. I turned my life almost completely around. I still had some trouble with school(grades wise) and I still argued with my parents, but it was normal arguements. Nothing like it was before. I am proud to say that I am still alive, I am 23,I have been married for 3 years, and I have 2 beautiful little boys. If it was not for the ranch and everyone there, I don't know where I would be right now. 

If there is a parent out there and they are reading this, and having problems with their teen...Turn About Ranch is an amazing place. I would not take back my 3 months there for anything in the world. It has made me the person I am today.

Replied By: mssmirky on Jul 21, 2011, 8:26PM
I watched this show today (Australia), and found the husband's attitude incredibly frustrating.  At the point where his wife was begging him to come to the table and save their daughter's, he was still not seeing the seriousness of the situation.  In fact, when Dr. Phil asked the wife what she would like him (Dr. Phil) to do, and she replied, "Kick his butt", my cuckoo clock (which actually has a donkey pop out, but that's another messageboard) announced the time, appearing to agree with what the wife said.  So please, for the love of God mate, be their father, not just Daddy!!! (imho)

Replied By: elpiniki on Apr 6, 2011, 11:40AM
I watch all your shows involving teen girls out of control, be it behavior or a mental health issue. I was actually yelling at the TV at this show," pick MY daughter"! All this help being offered to this dad, and his nose is in the air??Where we live, u r lucky if the probation officer calls u occasionally. Counselors, good ones, are far & few, and her shrink is a hour or so drive away. When our insurance DOES approve of a treatment center, she is booted out after 2 weeks! Now she is in juvenile detention, NOBODY has listened to us to do tests to rule out anything organic 1st, she continues on the same meds that we have questioned their usefullness, and for her to get a counselor anymore( when she gets out), we will have to pay for it. But, right now, she is looking at JV time, because probation in this county feels they have"done all they can". Her last court date, her lawyer barley talked to us, her court-appointed advocate sent her asst., who ALSO didn't talk to us, and no mention was made of her psychiatric history.
I think all these people getting all this great help and FREE from Dr. Phil should go to a church and light a candle. There r thousands of us parents out there who are dealing with this issue everyday, and dying slowly inside for our kids.
Elpiniki

Replied By: edenia on Apr 5, 2011, 4:26PM
6 years ago I found out my daughter was out of control using drugs. She had an abusive boyfriend and I did not know it until years later. When I confronted her about the drug use, it was almost too late.  She had sold all my jewelry, stolen from me, things a parent would not think a child would do.  Tough love told me to do the right thing and with a minor at home, I chose to have her leave my house, as she was an adult, 21 yrs.  It broke my heart and I had no one to t urn to.  I am grateful that she is now 4 years clean, married and well.  When I saw this show where the parents were being GIVEN all the resources necessary for them to get their daughters on a good path, and the father had the audacity to question all the leading doctors that had spent hours looking at his case, I was almost ready to jump out of my chair.  If he is unwilling to accept that parents are not perfect and we ALL make mistakes, let someone that will appreciate this help receive it.  He does not deserve it, and I feel so sorry for the wife.  He showed absolutely no feelings towards her, he was just concerned with his friendship with the daughters.  You do not have to be a friend to your children, they love you more when you are mom and dad.

Replied By: kulaku on Apr 3, 2011, 12:02AM
I so emapthize with these parents..however, I beleive it is a parents responsiblity to raise your children to be able to stand responsibly on their own two feet., knowing that actions cause consequences,  respecting and being respected, being consistant, never faltering  what your belief system is, and to be united. Those girls are exactly what you created..you cannot be their best friends and their parent too! It is so sad for me to see this family being handed help..when many of us could have and would have readliy accepted this help. It's upsetting for me to see families receive soo much help from Dr.Phil and then to see them appear ungrateful..Dr Phil, I love what you do, and I would completely trust your judgement..sure wish this help was available to me when I was raising my 4 children all by myself!! Then again, I taught my children well..they are well rounded, independant, responsible and respectful adiults..and I'm proud of them..they are exactly what I raised them to be!!! These parents have a long road ahead..I hope mom stands strong in her belief  and continues with Dr Phils plan..hand in there mom...dont give in!!!

Replied By: joywaite on Apr 1, 2011, 8:45AM - In reply to talkinmom
OMG, I just sat in horror watch these Parents screw up all the work the girls had done and Dr. Phill along will all of the people at the ranch etc. My blood pressure was sky high when the Father did not want them in bording school.

Replied By: joywaite on Apr 1, 2011, 8:41AM - In reply to rocknhorse1
Thank you so much. It has been a long 8 years but working as a team with my husband and putting her needs before ours is what parents are suppose to do. When I see these parents who what to be BFF's and set no boundries it makes me crazy. My daughter says to me you know so and so's parents don't do that with them and lets then do whatever they want to do, I think they are just lazy,lol   As kids get older they may not like it but the view it as you care and LOVE them when you set boundies and have rules. She knows she can come to us and ask us anything, and she does. She doesn't sneak and hide stuff like I know some of her friends do.

Replied By: hollychar on Mar 31, 2011, 8:26AM - In reply to leslye
couldn't agree more with your post!

Replied By: hollychar on Mar 31, 2011, 8:25AM
This was painful to watch- these parents have created a terrible situation and need so much help!!  The next person to get a Dr Phil dress down should be Alexandra!!

These parents are both too afraid to be parents and still want to friends- but the biggest offender is the Father.  The kids have completely drilled down on each parents weakness and manipulated the situation to their advantage.  Parents have to present a UNITED FRONT!!  Kids really crave boundries and want to know the rules.  we were always very clear about consequences and we stuck to them- Yes, it was hard- parenting is not for WIMPS!

Dr. Phil and his team are so right on in their assessment.  I just don't  get the feeling these parents are ready to change.  If I was dr. Phil I would move on and put my money and resources to bear on a situation that  he can really effect the outcome.  

This ship is going down with Daddy at the helm!

Showing 1-10 of total 336 Comments