Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 03/03/11) Tiffany and Mindy describe their mother, Phyllis, as “the most selfish person on the face of the earth.” They say their entire childhoods were affected by her self-absorbed behavior, ultimately fracturing their relationship. Tiffany says she worries she won’t even be able to speak kindly about her mother at her funeral. Phyllis insists she was a great mother, and her daughters have it all wrong. Dr. Phil examines a few of the incidents her daughters report as manipulative and self-centered. Will Phyllis own up to her parenting mistakes and apologize? Then, Chanell says her friend, Shauna, suffers from “Pretty Girl Selfish Syndrome” and needs an intervention. Shauna says she’s open to a minor tweak in her behavior but a major overhaul is out of the question. And, see the remarkable progress of two women whom Dr. Phil says should be selfish and put themselves first: Amanda and Bekki from the 17 Day Diet Challenge. Plus, Dr. Phil celebrates his 1500th show with his oldest and youngest fans!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: futurehopenow on Oct 28, 2012, 4:27AM - In reply to kathleen27
I LIVED this in my marriage and I can tell you that my ex is still narcissistic!  They rarely change because they can't!  

Anyone who is siding with the mother against the daughters may just be the victim of a narcissist themself.

Replied By: loribgori on Sep 1, 2012, 3:06AM - In reply to superlacey
You're totally right. These kids seemed to me selfish little teenagers that should have learned by now that life does NOT revolve around them. Yea, they did not have ideal childhoods, but really, howmany of us had such a thing?

I can tell u,I went thru a divorce, it was the most horrible time of my life. It truly sucked the life out of me. In all of that, I was to bring my kids up, yet, my life was sucked out of me, so, really, what good was I for my kids?

Bc of my state of mind thru all of it, I lost Everything. So I can sort of understand this woman saying she was able to get a bed from the house. Me and my kids slept on just blankets for a yr and a half, due to court decisions of property divisions.  In my case, it doesn't make any sense at all. I don't drive a fucking BMW. Or anything even remotely similar.  I love dr Phil, but I think he really fails for the little guy. I see him so often saying that he believes qualified personnel but, in my case, that's a fail! I've seen also in many of his shows it's a fail. 

Replied By: loribgori on Sep 1, 2012, 2:27AM
My mom was not the best, by any means. As we grew up, there were 6 of us, it was obvious she had favorites. She would never admit this, and to this day, denies it. The older kids in my family cant seem to "see" themselves. Maybe that's not something most people can do, but I do it, so I think its normal.  

I mean, one instance, my oldest sister freaks out to my parents that I am smoking in the bedroom....... At this very same time, She is smoking in Her bedroom.  This is what I'm talking about. It's very strange. She is not able to see herself.  She conducts herself much the same way in her business. It's very sad. I want to help her, but if I'm to approach her with help in mind, she will retaliate. She sees her family as enemies. And professes to other people that they not trust their own families. I worked for her so I know this to be true. She would do this to Every customer coming thru the door. I am saddened.

I mean why would anyone Not be able to see two sides to everything?

Perhaps it's bc of my siblings I am able to see the two sides? I'm not sure. My younger sister feels the same.

I watched a dr Phil show, where he had a family on that the granddaughter had been abused by the uncle. The mother of the child could not forgive her family for their behaviors throughout the ordeal. 

This episode marked the change in my life. He had a guest on that had a book on forgiveness. I'm in the middle of that book. Ive recommended it to a few of my clients, which, I'm proud to say they've purchased it, and have found it profoundly helpful.

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 6:09AM - In reply to skbruning
Now I have really heard it all. If only Hitler could've used that defence.

How you can anyone justify low blood sugar as an excuse for abuse, means you are making excuses.

You can't forgive until you accept you were abused, not making excuses for an abuser.

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:59AM - In reply to fluffyfat
Belittling someone's occassion, pretending you don't know the importance and significance of things.

Why would every other woman at the wedding avoid wearing white but her mother would?

These types of thingsaccumulate over a lifetime and become Death by a thousand cuts.

Its not petty' it's her wedding.

Its not petty, it's her prom dress

I would not want someon dressing like me at my wedding who takes beds from children.

She is a hideous Momster.

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:49AM - In reply to skbruning
This is no parental alienation. She has a personality disorder. Phyllis will never change. 

Those women are amazing for finding their voice. 

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:44AM - In reply to llinsenb
If you are this type of mother, you do not love your children.

I don't know about your situation, and these 2adult children do not expectas perfect parent. They want an apology.

Dr Phil was able to say what they wanted to hear because he was listening and is empathetic. 

That mother is an egg donor and not a parent.

And they should be so happy they graduated to their own families. If I were them I would keep her away from my kids, she is TOXIC

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:29AM - In reply to desertlily73
Just did the same thing, my narc mom then started sending my husbandhideously inappropriate messages.

I believe us victims are like drugs to them, they go through withdrawal without us.I never intend seeing her again! 

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:24AM - In reply to sbelisle
Go no contact, she will go a bit crazy without supply but you will live a healthy life

Replied By: aconsfornc on Aug 7, 2012, 5:22AM - In reply to anitaholland
I honestly don't understand how you came to this conclusion after watching this show.

These women are desperate to have a mother but she's incapable of giving maternal love. She keeps saying, .... She was alone. Not once did she say, I missed my daughters terribly, I was distraught without them. No, she was too busy taking their beds. The slight is always against her, she has a personality disorder and will never change. 

The husband should be congratulated for getting his daughters out of there. She would've ruined all their lives and then at the end still wants o leave a note. She is so selfish.

Showing 1-10 of total 407 Comments