Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

Is Alexandra addicted to prescription drugs? Find out what she’s taking, how much and where she gets them. When Dr. Phil arranges for a second opinion about her back injury, you may be surprised to hear the doctors’ assessment of the medications she’s been prescribed. See Alexandra’s response to their diagnosis. Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words and tells Alexandra he believes she’s addicted to drugs and needs to enter rehab. Is this her final wake-up call? Then, when Alexandra asks Dr. Phil show producers for money and is denied, she goes missing. Who is the one person Dr. Phil believes might influence her to make a change? Will Alexandra listen to reason, or will even those calls go unanswered? And, find out Dr. Phil’s biggest fear for the young woman.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: starbarham5 on Feb 21, 2011, 4:23PM
I do not believe Alexandria can even be honest with herself yet, much less with Dr Phil. I wish she would, valuable time is going by, and those kid's are growing up fast. What does it have to take for her to take some responsibility for what she has created? She doesn't want to get off those pills, she doesn't believe she can, because she is telling herself that she will be in pain if she stops, and she will, temporarily!  it get's so much better!!  I've been watching since the begining of this family's story, and I sure wish I could share my story; I've been through some horrible time's, and have gotten through, and I only wish I could have had someone like Dr Phil on my side. I still continue to wish I had Dr Phil on my side..

Replied By: ephemera on Feb 21, 2011, 8:58AM - In reply to supersarah
You've got to be kidding me?

Replied By: supersarah on Feb 21, 2011, 6:29AM - In reply to notthisagain
Why can't you just love her? Alexandra is terribly hurt, alone, and embarrassed. You almost seem to revel in it; you seem to purposefully set out to inspire these feelings in your daughter. You yourself said your own mother died from alcoholism at a relatively early age. That would make you an adult child of an alcoholic, which means that though you don't drink excessively perhaps, you probably still have a lot of the same behaviors as if you did. You seem to be set on tormenting your daughter, and this keeps both of you stuck in this dysfunctional state. Your daughter is your responsibility FIRST. By helping her, you're helping your grandchildren. You may argue that she's older now ... yes, she is making very immature decisions. But you have a part in this. Somewhere, you missed the mark with something while she was younger. She yearns for a kind touch and tender word from you. But your heart is hard. You are an older, more experienced woman who is secure. You are better equipped (that's why you're "the mother") to deal with "issues" than she is. You need to deal with your bitterness towards her. Be a model to her for grace, tolerance, acceptance, and love (not just "responsibility"). Perhaps if YOU had not failed to be the mother you should have been at critical periods in Alexandra's life, there would not have been a second child, or a third child. You have lectured Alexandra endlessly about acting right by her children; yet, are you acting right by yours? Are you grateful for Alexandra? I hope so. She is a beautiful, caring, sweet girl. Does she know this? (deep down inside)

Replied By: jennybrighteye on Feb 20, 2011, 1:56PM - In reply to annie135
Replied By: annie135 on Feb 20, 2011, 9:44AM - In reply to marianparoo
if you look at the images of Alex over the years, esp. over the last two years, you see a definite change in her face.

Her face has changed dramatically, and it is frightening.  Alexandra is developing that curious look, something that people refer to as having a "young/old" face.  She appears to have aged 10 years in the last year alone and looks far older than her 23 years. We are all aging; but a 23 year old should not look so hard and haggard.

she has aged noticeably since her last pregnancy, which is the time when I would guess she started using more and different drugs. I have never watched the show and seen her physical beauty; I think it has to do with my perceptions of her behavior - her behavior is making it very difficult to see her beauty. In fact, drugs can destroy an addict's beauty, both inside and out: just another effect of drug abuse. You can lose your beauty permanently. A fragile thing, isn't it? Just like life itself.

I thought she WAS a very pretty woman, and her former appearance probably factored in heavily on her ability to continually wiggle out of serious trouble without ever facing consequences.  If she doesn't stop all the narcotics, she won't have her looks for much longer, to lean on. Alexandra is changing rapidly and actually looks worse with each appearance she makes on the show.

Replied By: jennybrighteye on Feb 20, 2011, 1:42PM
I also find it odd that Dr. Phil advises Alexandra that she should have a man who 'takes care of her,' in essence assuming role as a stay-at-home-wife.

Why is it automatically assumed that she will be, that she should be, a stay at home wife, and receive support from her mate? Someone who is "professional," and will take care of the utility bills. This is ODD as stay at home wives are USUALLY also stay at home mothers, or those whose husbands are quite well-off financially. Alex is told that someone should take care of her, and she expects it: recall when she said Tony has better get off his ***, and get a job. I realise she is useless right now, but why isn't she advised that she should plan to contribute, and equally? I mean, she doesn't even have her children with her!  Or does she view doing crossword puzzles, and doctor shopping as a valid means of spending the day?

Has this woman ever worked?

When she had Nathan she was supported, and VERY WELL, by her parents. When she married Chris, she was a stay at home mother.  When she began living with Tony she was a stay at home mother.  And I use that term loosely considering Alexandra's performance as a mother, (Leilah's condition from being in her 'care.')  I hate to refer to her with that term as those words denote an occupation that is honorable.

Replied By: notthisagain on Feb 20, 2011, 1:11PM
Dear Erin,

I can see myself in everything you do. You can't imagine how much I value every sacrifice you make and the extraordinary efforts you make for your grandchildren and family. I think you are a wonderful woman. That being said, I have to offer you insight that someone gave to me as far as Alexandra is concerned. It is so easy to get involved in a dysfunctional pattern with children are in desperate circumstances and  have such dangerous problems, i.e. drug addiction.

A friend of mine had extreme difficulty with her son as he fell further and further into the drug culture while in high school. The counselor told her that every time she engaged in an argument with her son, it allowed her son to avoid responsibility for his poor choices since he could blame his problems on the mother being so critical of him. When she challenged him or engaged him in an argument, it was a welcome relief for him since it allowed him to blame his mom, rather than take responsibility for his decisions. I think you give Alexandra an easy out each and every time you call her out regarding her problems.

In your interactions with Alexandra, you either stay quiet to avoid drama, tell her the truth or question her about her destructive behavior. First, questioning does absolutely no good with Alexandra since she never tells the truth. It simply makes her lie with greater intensity and anger. When you tell her the harsh truth, she spits it back in your face. If she can engage you in an argument, it allows her to blame you since she can say to herself, "My mom is always so negative and critical and that is why I never can see my children" This allows you to be the scapegoat. It is also important to ignore everything she says to insult or diminish you. She is trying to engage your anger. You have nothing to prove to anyone. You have went above and beyond at every juncture and made incredible sacrifice for your daughter and grandchildren.

While at the hospital, I believe you were focused on your new grandchild, but also being right. You were absolutely 100% correct, but the way you went about it created drama and rather than focus on Alexdra's bad choices, i.e. taking drugs while pregnant, it made you look bad. There were many ways it could have been handled by the professionals without walking into the hospital room creating drama with the father's mother.

My concern is not only for you, but also for your grandchildren. When you and Alexandra bicker constantly, it teaches them to bicker or to react disrespectfully because they don't understand that you are trying to help your daughter and doing anything you can to assist her.  After watching the pattern between Alexandra and you for the last several years, my wish is that you don't have to take such a burden on your shoulders and start removing yourself from her drama.

The old adage holds. You can't control Alexandra, only your reaction to her bad behaviors.

My love, prayers and respect, Erin!

Deb

Replied By: ceecee100 on Feb 20, 2011, 12:22PM - In reply to shaneylove
I'm sorry Dr. Phil.......this girl has made you look like the village idiot time and time again!  What gives???   You are sugar coating every word that comes out of your mouth when speaking with her.  If you don't know what to do with her (and it seems that you don't), take a page off of the show Intervention.  They are well versed in addiction and they would'nt play around with her for 2 hot seconds..  Right now she is running the show.  Beth....I'm happy that she got you on the telephone and not me!!!!!!!

Replied By: annie135 on Feb 20, 2011, 9:44AM - In reply to marianparoo
if you look at the images of Alex over the years, esp. over the last two years, you see a definite change in her face. she has aged noticeably since her last pregnancy, which is the time when I would guess she started using more and different drugs. I have never watched the show and seen her physical beauty; I think it has to do with my perceptions of her behavior - her behavior is making it very difficult to see her beauty. In fact, drugs can destroy an addict's beauty, both inside and out: just another effect of drug abuse. You can lose your beauty permanently. A fragile thing, isn't it? Just like life itself.

Replied By: lawless37 on Feb 20, 2011, 9:21AM - In reply to kaysquare
I can only say that she is not lying her drugs are
her mind is around the meds 24/7 and I do not think
Dr Phil should give up on her as maybe or should
I say not maybe, he is the only one who is helping
The only harm that the parents did here in my opinion was
spoil the girls both are the most spoiled brats I have ever seen
they talk to the parents like they are a nothing more than s--t
on a toilet seat
I brought up three boy
mostly by myself and if they ever talked to me they way these girls do
they would do it only once !
Now those parents are good because they are bringing up her babies
however,that said I sure hope they do a better job at it than with those girls:
Shes not even saying thank you mom thank you dad because she expects it as she as all her life

parents you need to smarten up :amen

Replied By: ecfran on Feb 20, 2011, 9:05AM - In reply to marianparoo
I,too, believe there is always hope. BUT, Alexandra is a self-centered, self-entitled user.  As a teacher of teens for 54 years, the first time I saw Alex I knew no one was going to be able to help her.  She does not care for any of her children, she is not capable of love.  She needs to be cut off from all of Dr. Phil's enabling, hit bottom and stop the stupid smirking.  I can't watch her anymore and I have watched since the beginning hoping beyond hope Dr. Phil would cut her off.  There are millions of kids out there who need and want help. She is a USER and cannot be helped by anyone but herself.  The shame of all this is now there are three more children out there headed down her path.  (Children being raised by her mother and father...look at their success record)  If you want to help her let her go.

Showing 31-40 of total 796 Comments