Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/11/11) From spending $600,000 on 3-year-old beauty queens to pushing a sibling to be the very best — today's guests say they go to the extremes to help the youngest members of their family excel. Meet two fathers, one whose full-time job is managing his tiny stars' careers, and the other who hand makes each and every one of his 4-year-old daughter's costumes. Are these dads bonding with their daughters or simply pushing too hard? And, hear from one overzealous teen who often leaves her young sister in tears. Plus, meet several women who defiantly criticize child beauty pageants. Can Dr. Phil convince these guests to step aside and reach for balance in the children's lives?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: designsmart on May 6, 2012, 8:37PM
Here in Australia we have seen a few Dr Phil shows about child beauty pageants. I am SO glad that Australan culture does has not adopted the tradition. Seeing the small children "tarted up" with makeup and big hair and high heels like overgrown dolls is awful and the way the "Tantrums and Tiaras" mothers verbally attack each other on the shows is vile, no digity or decorum at all.

I have a 14 year old daughter who I never would have subjected to pageants even if they were popular here. She is beautiful, confident and spoken well of by everyone. She does well at school, plays three insuments, sings in a rock band at school, participates in musical theatre and plays on the girls football team!  She has beautuful manners and amazing social grace and I am very proud of her. 

There are so many better ways to give children confidence and these parents should stop focussing on the "beauty" (if you can call it that) and find out what their children are good at and encourage them in that. 

Dr Phil, please do a show where your guests are young teenagers who were not exposed to pageant parents, girls who have found their passion and carry themselves with grace. The world needs to acknowledge and celebrate these young adults and hear less about the pageant kids and their parents who are living vicariously through them. 

Thnaks!

Replied By: nursenellmn on Jul 13, 2011, 8:52AM - In reply to kingsfan12
Yes, I agree. It does seem there are more overweight parents represented at these pageants. It's sad.

Replied By: kingsfan12 on Jul 8, 2011, 1:04AM - In reply to violetmay
Very eloquently stated!

Replied By: kingsfan12 on Jul 8, 2011, 12:57AM
I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but did anyone else notice that most of the parents were overweight?  I've also watched the show "Little Miss Perfect" a couple of times, and it seems like the overweight population is overrepresented in those audiences as well.  I think these parents are finding satisfaction in something they can control (their children), rather than addressing something over which they have little control (their weight).  It's very sad.  They need to realize that they will be of much greater support to their children if they are active and healthy.  Just an observation...

Replied By: craigpac on Jul 7, 2011, 7:59PM
wrong, Wrong, WRONG on every level. When do these children get to be "children" This is nothing more than the parents using their children for their own personal ego boost. $600,000.00 for some trophies,teddy bears and MAYBE win a car? That logic and thinking only goes to show the twisted and misdrected thinking to justify parading these little girls to satisfy their own egos. how abut the girls organizations like blue birds, brownies, girls scouts? How about gymnastics, ballett, tap dancing or a thousand other things they could be doing with thses girls that will give them great life skills. As a single Dad I raised two girls, I learned how to braid hair, go shopping and all the things little girls love to do and spent every moment I hsd with them in ballett lessons, brownies, tap dancing, fencing, having their friend over and scores of other events and activities. They are only teaching their daughters to buy into the pathetic advertising and image that retailers tell them they should look like, act and behave. I wonder just how socially "adjusted" these little girls will be as they grow older and interact with the children that grew up in a normal every day lifestyle. my bet is they will have a hyper ego that others are not going to understand or tolerate. Sorry, this has no redeeming quality that is going to give them a better quality life in their later years growing up. Actually, beauty pagents in general are empty entertainment that parade beautiful women and only make money for the event producers. Adults can spend and waste their money anyway they see fit, but i find it irresponsible to spend that kind of time and money. They might as well spend the money on the lottery, it would more than likely have a better pay off. When the little girls are old enough to choose on their own that is a very different thing rather than being told brainwashed into wanting to be a beauty queen.

Replied By: sharoninnc on Jul 7, 2011, 5:56PM
Google convicted pedophiles. How many focused on pageant darling victims? I can't name any other than JonBenet Ramsey. But I can name many others who were taken from their homes, stores, front yards, bus stops, parks. Pedophiles think children are sexy in jeans, shorts, snowsuits! Please don't hand them an excuse for their bad behavior. No matter how a child appears, in a sundress, a swim suit, a halloween costume (Scout was a pumpkin in To Kill A Mockingbird), a child is a CHILD and never asking for such attention.

Replied By: sarahlynn1979 on Jul 7, 2011, 4:42PM
Dr. Phil,

I tivo your show every day so to not miss one episode.  I have always appreciated your to the point and blunt perspective and opinion .... that is until today!  Your comment spoken not once but twice in regard to children having children really hit a nerve in me.  I am a MOM who had a child as a teenager.  I have never verbally abused my son nor find any truth in you categorizing all teenage parents in that manner.  Your comment simply implied that teenage parents will and do verbally abusive their children.  Unbelieveable is the only word that comes to mind after watching that.  You really ticked me off!!!  Were you a teenage parent?  Did you abuse your children?  If you answer no to those question's then how dare you speak as if you have walked a day in the shoes of a teenage parent!!!!  I seriously hope that you just had a foot in mouth moment and forgot to put your personal opinion filter on.  So many things come to mind right now and questions that it"s really hard to sit in silence.  It was absolutely out of line and uncalled for!!!

Mad Mother in Missouri,

Sarah Lynn

Replied By: kaetoguchi on Jul 7, 2011, 3:55PM
Why did you treat children as if they weren't real? Your destroying gods human creation and throwing everything else away from god. You aren't allow to treat your children the way you want them to be. They need the satisfication they aren't plastic. They are humans. I am going to watch this anyways,tonight.

Replied By: sandys51 on Jul 7, 2011, 3:43PM
Am I the only one who thinks what these little girls do in these pagents is very inapproppriate/very sexualized?

Replied By: michelegyselin on Jul 7, 2011, 2:53PM
I think Peggy needs to get a life of her own and stop forcing her sister to practice by resorting to verbal abuse to manipulating, because regardless of what Peggy says about her sister liking to play dress and stuff, what I hear loud and clear is "I would have liked to compete at her age and couldn't so I make her do it," and then it's not what Bridget wants to do but what the bigger one wishes she could have done and coerces the other one into doing.

Showing 1-10 of total 145 Comments