Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

Yesterday, Dr. Phil sat down with Ted Williams, the homeless man who became a viral video sensation, to ask him the hard questions. Ted admitted that he struggled with an alcohol and crack cocaine addiction and had a rap sheet that included charges of theft and forgery. As Dr. Phil probed deeper, the golden-voiced radio announcer revealed that he walked out on his ex-wife, Patti, and their nine children more than 20 years ago. Now, Ted comes face to face with the woman he left behind. How does Patti feel about her ex-husband's newfound fame and fortune? Hear her strong message for him. And, Ted has a tearful reunion with six of his children who share their candid feelings about growing up without a dad. Will they forgive the man who abandoned them, and do they believe he's sincere about turning his life around? Plus, Dr. Phil tells Ted what he must do now to remain sober and avoid falling prey to the pitfalls of sudden success. It's an emotional Dr. Phil you don't want to miss!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bobo1937 on Jan 25, 2011, 3:26PM
While I understand Ted Williams' desire to get out of rehab, I won't say "I told you so." He is an addict and alcoholic and each day sober is a gift. If he doesn't want to be sober now, give up the bed for someone who does. I personally don't think Dr. Phil should keep on helping him. Ted may not be destined to use his voice for his occupation. I wish him well and hope he and his girlfriend do find sobriety. It is not easy. Been sober over 34 years and challenges come up all the time. The only difference between them and me....I have put together more days to learn how to deal with life. While I do pretty well now, it took me a long time to get to this point. I am currently ready to contact my sponsor to discuss some things that are bothering me today so I can take full benefit of the promises of the 12th step program.....my dependence is upon God but writing things out clarifies my feelingtalking things out really helps give them legs.

Replied By: tia2grandma on Jan 19, 2011, 8:22PM
Dr. Phil I have been a fan of You and Robin forever.Have Never missed a show all these years. My Family and I have much Respect for what you do, But Please Really/??

Ted seems to me that he belongs to the streets as bad as i want to believe this story will have a happy ending Ted has his family also that seems not to care that much what he does and Ted himself seems to be PLAYING WITH YOU! I Really Really wish he does the right thing and accepts what you have to offer. Will keep him and family in my prayers. Lets wait and see?

Replied By: puprosy on Jan 16, 2011, 12:20PM - In reply to michelegal
I'm very angry to see that Ted had such a good chance to go to such a great rehab and DEMANDED things his way. Do u have any idea how many ppl including myself that would love that opportunity. I'm also shocked that Dr.Phil allowed it if it were anyone else the deal would have been off. Too bad u have to be a celebrity to be able to get such good treatment. This really makes me very angry. I also don't see him staying. He forgot where he come from.

Replied By: carolrhill on Jan 15, 2011, 1:07PM
This man has to realize he needs help and stop lying and listen to Dr Phil but he is like most drunks they just don't want to listen because they want to do their way.

I was married to a drunk and it was a nightmare and scarey he just wonldn't stop it got so bad I had no choice in the matter but leave he finally had to stop because he had to choices live or die the same when it came to smoking but he still does it today even though he has a bad heart.

You can't pushing things on Mr Williams because he will push back everytime his head is saying one thing and heart is saying something else all together so everything has to speak together before he will understand and want the help he needs.

He has been on his own stealing and causing problems for a very long time and just maybe that is what he enjoys doing because he is free to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it he is not accustomed to be told what to do and when to do so I don't he is willing quiet yet to give up his freedoms but that is the way I feel.

Replied By: beanzstillium on Jan 15, 2011, 8:37AM
As a recovering alcoholic, if Ted is going to make it sober and not let the media and peoples ignorant remarks get to him, he's going to need to be honest, stop lying and minimizing his drinking as he has of lately. I wish this man well and hope he gets the help he needs and many jobs.

Replied By: txladee on Jan 14, 2011, 5:08PM
Hi Dr Phil,
I am pulling for Ted Williams with every bit of strength I have.I want so much for him to succeed! This is a great opportunity for him and you are so generuos to help him.He is getting the help that I wish my son would accept from someone.My son is 56 and an alcoholic and is taking many perscription drugs.
I am so afraid I will get a call saying he is dead.A mother's worst nightmare.
Please tell Ted that there are many people that love him and want him to have the best.Padre Island is one of my favorite destinations and I hope Ted will enjoy it there and stay in rehab.
God bless you and yours and Ted.
Mary Horton

Replied By: c_manbodh on Jan 14, 2011, 2:59PM
I am a mom of 3 boys and my oldest son is from another man and his father abandoned almost 10 yrs ago when he was 6 wks old he came to me and told me that he has nothing here for him and i told him what about your son and he had another daughter that is 13 ys old so i did not hold him back but he was not thinking but he was a drug addict which i did not know  he was because we were never really dating  and I never went for child support because if i did then he would have rights to him and I was not going to do that for my son and I dont know if i could be as calm as this mother is she has 9 kids and he took off and left her with all those mouths to feed and she is considered blind so I understand but he needs  to take responsiblity for his own actions and not buy them off he is only doing interviews he does not have the fortune that he is saying and he keeps saying i will give you money and no matter how old you are you will always need  your mom and your dad I was really lucky to find a man when my son was 1 yrs old and I have 2 k ids with him and my older son calls him dad and he know now about the situation but not all of it so for this guy to sit there and lie about his sobriey  because you cant get anywhere in life  if you are drinking and drugging so he needs to stop  and look at his life and hopefully he does get sober and has a good realtionship with is kids and his  grandkids so he kind of pisses me off because he looked drunk on that last interview and making excuses on why he could not go to rehad right away  why should he see his grandkids when he is drunk they should only know a sober grand dad and no other

Replied By: dooley618 on Jan 14, 2011, 12:18PM
( ted) I know where u r coming from....im a addict 2,that is struggling with crack,im 40yrs old.i have been on crack for 20 long years.....i felt u when dr.phil was trying 2 send u 2 rehab...i couldnt have said yes...ive been 2 over 15 rehabs....(ted) i lie to about how much clean time i have...u get so tired of people looking at u in a certain way....keep your head up,watch the people around u,& get in contact with your higher power... it will b ok...im glad one of us mad it out of the jungle..........

Replied By: dianemic on Jan 14, 2011, 10:36AM
I hate to say it, but I don't hold out much hope for Ted, even with Dr. Phil's help.  My cousin was a great trial to my family because of his addictions and, listening to Ted talk and make promises, it was just like listening to my cousin.  He knew all the "right things" to say and constantly manipulated my mother in to giving him money or a place to stay.  I don't know what his condition is now because I moved 1800 miles away, partly to remove myself from contact with him and my mother has passed.   If Ted is going to succeed, he is going to have to tap into a strength and determination that he has been ignoring all these years.  I wish him the best .     Linda

Replied By: katymcdowell on Jan 14, 2011, 10:05AM
I was praying for this man as soon as I saw the story. I thank God that Dr. Phil is getting him help and that he is going to rehab. I will continue to pray and that he follow through and is successful.

Thank God for you Dr. Phil, you are helping millions of people, keep up the great work and that was a great and graceful intervention. You're the BEST!!!

Showing 1-10 of total 234 Comments