2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/14/11) Is reality television glorifying teen pregnancy? Dr. Phil takes a closer look at the media’s portrayal of young motherhood, and asks -- is it accurate to real life? What message -- if any -- is it sending to teens? Jeanie and Charles say their 16-year-old daughter, Emily's, pregnancy has created havoc at home with the family in constant conflict over what is best for Emily and her unborn child. Emily strongly believes she is ready to be a mom, but a pop quiz on the costs of a baby, and a visit from four teen moms, give this teen a reality check she didn’t expect. Will Emily have a change of heart? Plus, hear what Dr. Phil thinks is best -- and who he says no one is talking about at all.

Find out what happened on the show.
Replied By: nola4life on Jun 7, 2016, 1:01PM
I cannot for the life of me understand why Dr. phil encouraged this child to give up her child like it's trash. If that girl was old enough to lay down and make a baby thwn she's old enough to take care of it. What are you really teaching her by advising her to give up her child? She will learn no responsibility for her actions. And where does he get off telling someone that because you don't go to college, your life is screwed? Seriously? I don't have a degree because I rather run my own business than work for someone while they get rich. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST COLLEGE.....it's just not for everyone and there are plenty more ways to succeed in life. I hope this girl kept her baby instead of listening to that BS advice. That's just cruel.....imagine your mother giving you up simply because she was too young. She is not the first, last nor only teen to get pregnant. Are you gonna ask all teen moms to give their child up. You don't get to erase your past by getting rid of it. You nurture it and learn and teach others. She is fully capable of taking care of that child, it just takes lots of sacrifice. Dr Phil, you had no right to tell this mother to give up a child she carried in her womb. When you get a clue and a womb then you can see how it feels to give up something that you nurture from conception. Until then STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!!
Replied By: wallyrichards on Apr 16, 2016, 6:51AM
Dr. Phil said he could think of no greater act of love than to give your kid away. Are you serious? You need to check yourself in!!!!!!!!!
Replied By: wallyrichards on Apr 16, 2016, 6:45AM
I can't beleive there still running this episode. I wonder how he'd feel giving up one of his grandkids?
Replied By: wallyrichards on Apr 16, 2016, 6:30AM
Funny how the step father is all for giving the baby away I wonder how he would feel if he was the biiological grandfather. Granted the 16 year old is a dim wit but she will grow up real fast once the baby is born. Another thing that really pisses me off is this idea that if you don't go to college you're going to be a failure. There's other types of schooling you don't always have to go to college especially if you can't afford it and you're forced to work for a living. I agree with Phil 90% of the time but this is one time I'd like to give him a kick in the ass. As for the step father get a new hair dew loser.
Replied By: wallyrichards on Feb 5, 2016, 8:20PM - In reply to rhoppy
I agree with Dr. Phil 95% of the time but it really irritated me that he pushed so hard for this girl to give her kid up! Is she to young to have a baby? Yes but she will have to grow up quick and I'm fairly ceftain she will with help from her parents. I'm 58 years old and my oldest daughter had a child at 16 and by no means was it easy but with the support of mom, dad and her 2 sisters I now have a sweet 16 year old grandson who is my best friend. His mother has met a wonderful man about 4 years ago who she had another child with and she is currently pregnant with another baby. There going to get married in the next couple years and they both are hard working adults who love there children and are really the best parents a child could ask for. I know it doesn't always turn out like this but I thought Dr. Phil could've been a little more supportive while this young lady was on his show. I could never imagine giving up my child or grandchild.
Replied By: rhoppy on Mar 6, 2015, 2:12PM - In reply to paulab12
THANK YOU for posting this!!  I had no idea this episode was over 3 years old! I'm SO glad to hear she kept her baby and is doing well! Dr Phil gave that girl almost no support of any kind! Every comment was directed toward giving her baby away.  He has NO idea the life-long grief some women experience (and adopted children) after giving away their child.  It is NOT a natural act for a woman to give away her baby, although I totally understand those who feel they cannot care for their child and make the difficult decision to give the baby a good home with someone else. I also don't think most women carry a pregnancy to term because they really don't want it, even if they do end up giving their child up for adoption once it's born.  This girl's family - though clearly unsure exactly what they should do - appeared to be willing to help their daughter, so it's not like she was going to be out on the streets.  She sounded like she had more support than any of the other teen moms (some of whom had the support of the father) who came on to tell their stories, so in that respect, she was already ahead of the game. The other thing I think Dr Phil didn't address at all was the fact that Emily clearly could, and most likely would, meet someone else at some point in her life who would be a husband to her and father to her child. It's not like she was going to be alone for the rest of her life living on skid row.  This episode just confirms for me why I only watch Dr Phil about once a year anymore...
Replied By: brittanypaige on Jan 26, 2015, 7:33PM
I am a "Dr. phil fanatic". So I do agree with 98% of your advice. BUT I feel you really dropped the ball here! You should never pressure someone in to giving up their child. I was a teen mom. I got pregnant at 16 and had my daughter a month after my 17th birthday. She is now 8 and I am married and have 2 other children as well. My 8 year old is very respectful and bright. She was referred into the gifted progtam at her school. It was tough but I had a great support system. Adoption was never a consideration or option for me and my parents. It was NEVER discussed. We came together and I do not regret my decision. I felt as though you were adamant throughout the whole show about her having to choose adoption. it can be done. I didnt see you offering her resources that would help aid in her successfully parenting this child.
Replied By: paulab12 on May 6, 2014, 12:12PM
The mother has just posted a picture of a happy healthy three year old little girl.  She has graduated and is getting support financial and other from the father he was wrong again.  If you cant have children its a sadness but   the firtile do not owe the infirtile children.
Replied By: nanshr16 on May 5, 2014, 6:00PM - In reply to johnplusfour
I so agree with this mother and have written separately briefly of my own views.  I have not accepted one dollar of charity.  I married at 16.  Yes I divorced at 21, but keep in mind that the next woman my ex married also divorced him after 13 years.   Most marraiges result in divorce, so the younger age would have a higher percentage.  Of all my friends, those who married their high school or college sweethearts are the ones who are still happily married.  Those of us who have  #done the dating ads  #participated at church  #done charity work  #worked at large companies  #gone dancing and met men at clubs  - those of us have a higher percentage risk of failure as all the men our age that are men worth keeping are usually married already!   I give this girl and her mother credit for being responsible.
Replied By: nanshr16 on May 5, 2014, 5:56PM
I am so tired of hearing Dr. Phil talk young mothers out of keeping their babies. He just about stands on his head as a soap box preaching that it never works and both lives (mother and child) will be ruined. I was 16 expecting my son Raymond. I was accelerated and graduated with honors (actually in Honor Society Soph Junior and Senior years). My mother said up front that my son would be my responsibility. If I went out until 2am in my 20s and my son was up at 5am, it was up to be me to up preparing breakfast. Missing college? I saved money. Every job I have had since age 21 has required a 4 year degree yet my experience and performance helped me land the right jobs. - You say 2/3 of teen moms end up poor, well there are 1/3 that are not. Because of the non performance of the other 2/3, you are saying the other 1/3 should be deprived of raising their own child??? This mother on this show was a teen mom also. She is paying it forward. Dr. Phil, I think you could be doing more to help young mothers KEEP their own children, rather than trying to pry their children out of their loving hands.
Showing 1-10 of total 802 Comments