Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

Why do some teens feel so hopeless that they’ll risk their lives by turning to gangs and drugs? Dr. Phil and Father Greg Boyle, executive director of Homeboy Industries and author of Tattoos on the Heart, discuss strategies to help troubled kids overcome their darkest demons. April says her 14-year-old son, Isaac, is a drug dealer, a member of the Bloods street gang and is obsessed with knives and guns. She says the teen has missed countless days of school since August, and she found a shotgun and a 9mm in his room, along with a bag of cocaine. Isaac says he joined the gang because he was bored, but now he’s in it for the money. Will the teen get a wake-up call about his dangerous behavior before he gets arrested or worse? Then, Tracie says her 3-year-old son was killed, and she was shot five times in a drive-by shooting. She says she has no gang affiliation; she was simply standing in her brother’s front yard when the neighborhood erupted in a hail of gunfire. Hear her strong message for Isaac.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: russmckinn on Jan 5, 2011, 1:46PM - In reply to stumbl
I agree that the boy who got bumped down the list in order for Isaac to be moved to number one is the one who lost out thanks to you Dr. Phil. I am not sure what it is you are teaching him with this lesson other than perhaps those who have money and power do not have to wait in line like other people. You chastised Isaac for stealing from others who worked for thier porperty yet you stole anothers place in line for a BB because you have the influeance and money to do so. Of course this is just my opinion and you are the "expert"

Respectfully, Russ

Replied By: steveh64 on Dec 17, 2010, 12:55PM - In reply to rachelerose
RacheleRose. In regards to your inquiry about where my stats come from I will gladly show you.  These stats come directly from the USA goverment. The US census keeps track of these stats. Feel free to read them over and you will see that kids who come from two parent homes and even divorced homes do better in almost all phases of life. Of course there are going to be exceptions but on average you will see I am correct.  You also called me rude. Please don`t let the facts confuse you. If you can show me some national stats from a nuetral website that backs up your beliefs that the single never married home good enviroment for a child I would love to see it.  I`m not refering to individual cases I referring to on average.
http://www.census.gov/prod/3/97pubs/cb-9701.pdf

Replied By: gypsy2 on Dec 16, 2010, 6:58AM
I hope you take a long look at the tape of this show. Isaac had a fixed look on his face during his appearence, but when Jackson walked in, he lit up like a Christmas tree!! He had a totally different look from that moment on. This man can turn that boy around! He struck a cord that no one else has been able to. I felt that he saw a father figure in Jackson! I truly hope that Jackson can take a part in his life, if not an active roll, possibly a phone call to Izaac from time to time, or just be available. I realize that celebrities have busy lives, but this boy is worth saving and Jackson can do it!

Replied By: grahamc on Dec 15, 2010, 8:32PM
I just want to say as the teacher of Isaac, he is really a bright smart young man.  He is a joy to have in class and I wish he felt like he could come to me with any problems.  I believe in  him whole heartedly, as person and a student.  I just want him to know that no matter what mistakes he has made, he can change if he wants to.  Education is his greatest gift and that there will always be obstacles in his life and  people who try to keep him from them, but no matter what being educated is his greatest weapon in life.  I believe in you, always have always will.

Replied By: rachelerose on Dec 15, 2010, 8:09PM - In reply to steveh64
Really? Did you look into where your facts are coming from or did you just look up the info on any given stats, randomly posted on the web. Why don't you give a proper a peer reviewed article with a cite for the information to be reviewed?
Give me a break...
Single, parent environment is fine...get over yourself and stop being so rude.

Replied By: rachelerose on Dec 15, 2010, 7:57PM
I can't wait to look up the information regarding this non-profit group. I have worked with juvenile probation for the last 10 years. During this time I have witnessed so many young men who are gang member return over and over to the detention center. There is one young man that I feel a compassionate and smart guy is lurking. I don't know how to help him and have resigned myself to the fact that some day I will go to his funeral. It saddens me greatly. We have had conversations of normal like stuff. He is funny and light hearted...but of course I have never known him outside a controlled environment. I think he can florish and change his life maybe with the information contained in the Homeboy Industries. I will pass on the information and cross my fingers that he goes with it.
In addition to that, the gangs run wild here in Stockton, and homeboy industries should really look into opening a satellite or another office. It would be amazing.
Thank you for the show and say a small prayer and hope the young man I know utilizes the information I am going to pass on to him. 
The young man asked me to attend his graduation when he get there...he made me promise. I did...but I made him promise me he will get ther too.
Rampage Jackson is awesome and a great UFC fighter... I am proud of him and his accomplishments.

Replied By: clark40 on Dec 15, 2010, 5:00PM
This was a really sad segment because I remember being in a gang...I was in for 7 years.  I have the typical gang stories but the difference is I chose to get my education and take responsibility for my actions.  It was not easy believe me but I did it and graduated from a 4 year university in California.  I said all of this tosay...if you really want it you will make a way to get it. The same determination and initiative I used with my gang friends is the same I used to get something out of life and yes I had to fight for it but I did it and if I can anyone can. Hope this gives someone hope out there!!

Replied By: mindbodyspirit on Dec 15, 2010, 4:53PM
To the parents. I have hope! Im now taking care of my 2 grandsons, the older is about 15 yrs old. when I was 16 I had his mother, my first born. she got into drugs, alcohol when she was 13 - 14 yrs old an she OD in 2005, her 2 boys found her in the morning, at this time they were 9 an 5 1/2 yrs old. I also have 3 sons 32, 29, 24 yrs old, the pass yrs have been hard for my family and now Im trying to deal with my 15 yr old grandson. last yr he was involved with kids in gangs, I was intouch with the school an police to keep him from these kids. knowing these boys were talking at school to keep their goup going in the gang, so I started going to school with my grandson every day, I did not let him out of my sight. I would walk the halls go to classes an sit in class with these boys, when I heard or seen anything I would notify staff. at lunch time I took him out of the lunch room, had him eat with teachers or in the office. at home he was with family only, doing family activities only. this summer the gang kids got into trouble an are now in lock up, the gang situations are now less in our small town, but still around. there was a few gang families that moved into our area in the last couple year, its not over yet. be strong an have faith! I would like to do more...

Replied By: nlawanson on Dec 15, 2010, 3:51PM
I was very encouraged to hear that there are organizations like Homeboy Industries to help. I need to find an organization like that in Colorado for my son, 19, and many of his friends. He and a lot of his friends in situations discussed on the show are finding such a difficult time finding a job in this economy and because of backgrounds. Discouragement is over taking so many teens and I agree with what said on the show, teens need to find a passion and a hope. I have not been successful in finding organizations in Colorado that my son and others can go to. Any ideas are welcomed!

Replied By: nannablizz on Dec 15, 2010, 3:06PM
I have been waiting to see a program like this. It was hard to see because I been there and done that. Know one knows how many mothers out there is suffering the same dilemma. My preys goes out to that mother and son.

Showing 1-10 of total 26 Comments