Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/13/10) Imagine living in constant fear that your own child will attack you or other family members. Ron and Christine know this fear all too well. They say their 9-year-old son, Zachary, punches, kicks, screams, hits the walls and tries to tackle them. They say he even takes his anger out on the family pets. Dr. Alan Kazdin, professor of psychology and child psychiatry at Yale University and author of The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child, has advice for managing aggressive behavior. Find out how to calm a tantrum and what to do when your child’s meltdown becomes violent. And Scott and Carolin say they don’t know how to control their 12-year-old son, Nathaniel. They say he chokes them, breaks windows in their home and stabs knives into the kitchen counter, and now they’re afraid that he could actually kill them. What’s at the root of Nathaniel’s rage? See what Dr. Kazdin uncovers when he sits down with the young man.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: laural66 on Dec 27, 2012, 8:24PM
I can't imagine the difficulty that these parents have had to go through.  They are great warriors for their kids.  They also need support and encouragement.  That second couple with the 12 year old son were at their wits end.  They didn't need to be told to do more.  They really needed a mental break from their child.

Replied By: jeannie812 on Dec 5, 2011, 9:11PM - In reply to yoshiyoshi
What would that mean?  Another pill to try?  You get what I mean.  Thank you for your input.   The doctors mix up the pills anyway.  They put kids on stuff that is meant for hard-core mental illness when these kids are  lively and unruly.   No more medication trials on my son. 

My son will have to live with hyperactivity throughout his life.  He has calmed down quite a bit.  He will hopefully calm down more.   He slammed his elbow on doorway.  He cut his hand,  and got  stitches.   He slammed his toe.  He slammed his knee.  He jammed his hand. 

I gotta take him to doctor tomorrow to get his stitches taken out.  And have the doctor take a look at the rest of him that got hurt.

About video games

Yes, at least he is not running the neighborhood. 

Oh,  yeah!  I gotta take him to the eye doctor cause his vision is screwed up by the video games.   (he should have good vision cause his dad did)

Replied By: jeannekcfan on Oct 12, 2011, 5:12AM
I'm so happy that Dr. Phil told them to give the pets away. I don't understand how they can let those things happen to their cats! :( I love cats and i want one so bad. This is not about me though, i'm just happy that the animals are safe now :)

Replied By: pussycat7 on Sep 13, 2011, 6:35AM - In reply to kvirge31
So nice that your kids are very well behaved, that's lovely for you........but not neccesarily as a result of your perfect parenting. More the fact that your blessed with 'typical' children'.
Some kids out there have real issues with emotions, frustration tolerance and RECOGNISED disorders.
My own child suffers from all of the above. I consider my self to be a great parent, consitant with expectaion and discipline and yet the problem exists.
His brother is perfectly behaved as are the other children shown in the 2nd half of this show.

As soon as we noticed our boy was stuggling we took him to the School Counseller, then the GP, then the Psychologist, followed by Behaviour Therapist.
The advice given by these professionals is dilligently followed (at great emotional and financial stress I might add) He has completed social skills and anxiety courses along the way
He has regualr chiropractic adjustments, attends both vision and occupational thereapy.

Some kids need  more help than others to 'function normally' -  If a child were stuggling with reading or maths we would recognise the defecite and try to teach the skills. It's the same with skills to manage stress, anxiety and frustration tolerance. We recognise that there are some skills missing and we seek advice on how to teach them. When  a disorder is diagnosed it takes longer and more patience & love.
We have a great diet, plenty of outdoor activities, spend lots of time with our kids - they know they are cherished and much loved
All of this and yet the problem still exists with varying degrees of intensity

It would be really nice if people like yourself would stop being so judgemental and opened your mind to the fact that mental health diorders are recognised by the medical profession, that they are real and are delibitating - Do you really think a young child would choose this extrememe behaviour? That they enjoy it?  Kids are motivated to do well, to fit in. They do well if they can
Please think about it - These parents and myself are doing the best we can with what we have. Mental Health Disorders are real, that's why there are hospitals and medicines set up for this very purpose. And they occur in children, it's the good and loving parents like these on the show and myself doing everything we can to seek help for our child and our families so as to 'lead a normal life'
Comments like this really arent that helpful

Replied By: tvaddict on Jul 4, 2011, 10:20AM
My husband and I adopted our daughter.... We got her when she was 6 months old. She will soon be 5 yrs old. We seen at an early age her aggression was over the top. We have had MANY evaluations done, ect. She is ADHD along with a few other things but we have found MANY Dr.s tend to shrug of things because THEY DON'T SEE IT. Ive even video the aggression to show them. She hasn't got to the point of hurting animals, knives, ect BUT I have been bit, scratched, hit, kicked, ect, She will CLEAR a room out when she is having her spell. AND YES... we have tried EVERYTHING. I really believe there is something going on with her that she cant help at TIMES... Like the other kid- she is GOOD at school, and with MOST people in general. MOST would never know she has any issue unless it is a close friend who has seen it first hand. Living with this all the time is VERY STRESSFUL and as a Parent you hurt not being able to help your child or figure out what they need. IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A CHILD WITH ISSUES then sit down and ZIP it.... You cant imagine how hard it is for any family in this situation. You become overwhelmed and tired of thinking.... You want to get a diagnose so you will know which way to turn for help but its NOT easy for a young child... then guess what- that child grows up with no help that they needed early on. DONT JUDGE  unless you have been in this situation of trying, seeking and BEGGING for help. Every Child is different and HAS to be disciplineddifferently- MOST parents in this situation are begging to find out what will work with there child. We pray daily something will work with ours. Some days are good- but the days that are bad- ARE HELL.... We love her SOOOO much and it kills us to see her anger without knowing the trigger is. God Bless these Parents and I pray for them and any others that help will be found.

Replied By: mitchanne on Jul 2, 2011, 9:09PM - In reply to laura7576
I have tried old fashioned discipline and it makes the behavior worse.

Replied By: mitchanne on Jul 2, 2011, 9:07PM - In reply to alostmom
There is a saying that says "don't judge until you have walked a mile in my shoes."  This is so true when you have a difficult child.  In some cases it is due to parenting but often it's not.  I have a child just like the ones on the show and we have been working with her for 11 years.  I do not let her just get away with things or walk all over us.  We have been through many services and not one can say it's due to bad parenting.  Plus if it was parenting wouldn't my other children be the same way?  They are not!

Replied By: kvirge31 on Jul 1, 2011, 10:26AM - In reply to laura7576
I agree with you 100%. People who don't discipline deserve whatever fallout comes from their bad children later. I have 5 boys ages 12 down to 1 and NONE of them even back talks me. They KNOW better! You can say I'm wrong but I'm not one of those parents on Dr. Phil crying I'm scared of my child and sending the good kids AWAY! How ridiculous!

Replied By: kvirge31 on Jul 1, 2011, 10:24AM - In reply to isabellewis
Now move past the animals. What about the PEOPLE in this situation? I understand the concern but why would you comment about the animals and not about the PEOPLE??? We eat animals EVERYDAY so.... We don't eat people. Lets get some advice on that first..

Replied By: kvirge31 on Jul 1, 2011, 10:21AM - In reply to hopelesslylost
My comment never makes it on here so I stopped coming to the website. I'm trying again just to see what the responses are.. I'm sorry to hear you have troubles with your boy. All you can do is wait, or put him out, or knock him out and wait for Child Protective Services to come and take him away..  Truly those are your only options. Plain and Simple.

Showing 1-10 of total 257 Comments