Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/10/10) Are you frustrated that your teen can't seem to slim down, no matter what you've tried? Dr. Phil examines two teens’ battle with weight loss and its impact on their anger and resentment toward their parents. First up, Kim says she’s fed up with arguing with her daughter, Brooke, about her weight. Kim says the teen crams food in her mouth with no remorse and her behavior is out of control. Brooke says she’s being raised in an unhealthy household that encourages her bad eating habits and mood swings. Who really needs the attitude adjustment -- Kim or Brooke? Then, Jenn, 17, says her dad, James, bombards her with e-mails and comments to try to scare her into dropping pounds. Hear the extremes James goes to in an effort to influence his daughter, but why he refuses to do the one thing that could help her start her weight loss journey. Dr. Phil has a surprise for Jenn that may change her life forever. And, meet Emily from the reality show Too Fat for Fifteen and see how her life as an overweight teen has changed. Plus, learn how to determine if you or your child is obese.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jeannekcfan on Oct 12, 2011, 5:07AM
I can't believe the names one of the mom's called her own daughter! That was horrible :( How on earth should that help?

Replied By: philfankathy on Mar 24, 2011, 9:07PM - In reply to darci716
I'm hearing your dilemma, but you HAVE to be the grown up. Don't pressure, just cook healthier! You'd be shocked at the veggies my guys will eat but it took years of introducing them to yummier recipes.  Try Jamie Oliver's cookbooks; he is simple, fun, and healthy.  Also try gardening to help him get interested (I know I sound like a food nazi but I'm actually 48 and still struggling with bulimia, but my boys are healthy, thank God!)  Just keep loving them but set the example, Mom!  You can do it!! Good luck!  Also GET him into a sport he loves.  Let him try and if he doesn't like it, let him try something else.  Me, as long as I'm chasing a ball I'm happy (volleyball, tennis, etc.), but he has to find his fun!!  xo  PS Make yummy smoothies and put Kale in them (believe it or not; doesn't taste bad, but super nutritious).

Replied By: philfankathy on Mar 24, 2011, 8:25PM - In reply to garygold
She has to be the one to decide to do it. All you can do is be supportive, set a great example, and shut up!!  you can drive her to worse eating disorders.  Make sure you're not sabotaging her when she makes the decision.  Let her know that when SHE is ready, you will support her.  Be willing to try more therapists and support groups when she is ready.  It is a very emotional problem. Be aware of little comments that you've made or make.  Kids are listening and want to please, but sometimes they throw in the towel if the expectations, real or imagined, are to great.

Replied By: philfankathy on Mar 24, 2011, 8:18PM
Be grateful and impressed that your daughters did not become bulimic or anorexic due to the pressure you unwittingly put on them.  Know how strong they are to NOT have chosen that route.  I am 48 years old and still struggling with bulimia and binge eating.  I am the daughter of a well meaning mother who was more subtle than either of you (sorry).  Parents: you must remember how much influence you have on your kids and get help for YOURSELVES.

Replied By: csidney on Mar 18, 2011, 11:02PM
What has happened to Dr Phil ?   He seems to be very mean lately.  He's short with people and down right rude and demeaning at times.  Is this what works ?  If so then why doesn't he try this tactic with Alexandra. I can't stand the way Dr Phil acts like he's so much better than his guests on TV.  He may very well be ..... but does he need to rub it in their face.  Yes ...many parents go about things the wrong way.  There's a reasonable way to converse with them about it instead of putting them down and getting the audience to laugh at them.  You were awful today Dr. Phil.  I'm hoping it's due to the stuff going on in your personal life and short lived.   Bring back the old Dr Phil.

Replied By: dressagequeen on Mar 18, 2011, 8:18PM
I think Dr. Phil was way off on this one. . .both these teenage girls thought they had the power. They got to see their parents humiliated on national TV. The were both just so smug. Plus they both got what they wanted. They both needed  to be put down a notch or too. Send them to Weight Watchers or something, not  expensive treatment or "treatment centers"! Teens today for a large part are way too entitled and these two young ladies certainly proved that.

Replied By: garygold on Mar 18, 2011, 4:52PM
Watching the Overweight Teens fighting back show was interesting but I came away with a big question... We have a daughter that is overweight and we often have these arguments and battles at home but we have suggested many things including trying outside help because we thought we would let someone else drive the bus beccause "we must have driven this one into the ditch"  - we've offered a membership to the Y to go and exercise, we've offered a personal trainer at home with family members or alone, we've had her try a therapist, she's tried a nutritionist.  She has either said no completely or tried them and resisted or had limited success and refused to continue.  She is upset with her weight but is afraid of what change might bring, she admits she knows what it would take but doesn't want to give up the foods she likes.  She has seen her best friend lose weight and be very happy with it and more popular but still doesn't want to try herself and has only gotten bigger.  So. we watched this show looking for answers and didn't get any.  What can we all do??  Do we, as parents, just have to sit back and quietly suffer and hope that our daughter will want to change enough one day to actually do it?  Any solutions???

Replied By: darci716 on Mar 18, 2011, 12:40PM
I just watched the show on the dvr. I am sad for the girls and what they are going through. I wish they would have had a boy on the show to show how being over weight also effects them. Our son is 9 yrs old, 5' 3" and weighs 168. He carries the weight in his belly which he tries to hide at school by wearing his jacket all day, even during PE, and it was close to 80 degrees the other day. I feel bad for him, because he is sensistive to it. I know we need to make changes as a family. I love my son more then anything. I do know a lot of it is me, because I do the shopping and I am responsible for what comes into the house. I at times just don't know where to start, and I get overwhelmed. I just want to help my son because he is such a good boy and he deserves the best.

Replied By: eleni73 on Mar 18, 2011, 7:52AM
Weight is only one of the things these parents harrass their children about; they both said more than once that, in effect, their child can't do anything right.  I'm surprised that Dr. Phil didn't point out that these parents are simply bullies.  The miracle is that neither child has tried to kill herself or turned to drugs or violence. Their best plan is to start making plans to escape as soon as they are 18 and not look back. They can be sure that neither parent will send them to college; that would deprive the parent of some one to bully. These parents may think they love their children, but what they show is not love, but rather contempt. Love always includes respect.

Replied By: lorrainebur on Mar 17, 2011, 9:20PM
Thanks for a great show this evening. This show reminded me of the "old Dr. Phil" shows that address real concerns in a non sensational manner.

Also, I want to voice support the two girls on tonight's show, who had the nerve to go on national tv with their weight concerns.

I know that they will both do well if given the support of the Dr. Phil weight loss professionals, and their parents back off, no matter how well intended.

Showing 1-10 of total 175 Comments