Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 12/02/10) Could you be raising a spoiled brat? Dr. Phil, along with Betsy Brown Braun, author of You’re Not the Boss of Me, shows you how to tame your child’s meltdowns. First up, Vanesa and Xavier say they can’t handle their 4-year-old son, Noah’s, tantrums. Vanesa says she’s tried everything -- from bribing the child to spankings -- but the boy continues to whine and act out in public. Find out what happens when Betsy pays the parents a house call. Then, Laura has 6-year-old triplets and a 4-year-old -- all boys! She says she’s always screaming at her kids and her household is a mess. Her husband, William, works long hours, and Laura says she feels like she’s raising their kids alone. Can Dr. Phil and Betsy calm the chaos?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cindylouwho9 on Nov 4, 2014, 12:08AM
Oh....in addition to my only comment, I don't have any children, but I had parents and, as I mentioned, there were 6 of us siblings.  I come from a huge extended family and again was absolutely SHOCKED at the advice this AUTHOR gave to parents.  I think anybody with or without children who watched most of what she said on this show would agree her advice was HORRIBLE, especially in the advice about what to do when the older brother was hitting the younger brother or whenever they are having a problem.

Replied By: cindylouwho9 on Nov 4, 2014, 12:04AM
This is the first time I have ever felt so strong about making a comment in regard to a show.  I seen a rerun of this today and COULD NOT believe what the "author" stated as advice, especially about what to do when the brother was hitting his brother.  HORRIBLE .....and I couldn't believe that Dr. Phil, who is normally a no-nonsense guy, seemed to go along with her.  She told the mother to stay out of it.  My goodness, sounds like the brother was being a bully.  My parents had 6 children and in no way would they have stood by and let any of us brothers and sisters bullied each other.  I had a first cousin who would pull his sisters' hair down to the ground and hold them there while they would scream for help and their mother, married to my uncle, would never stop him or even try.  He turned out to be a not so great brother and son over the years.  I can remember us telling my Dad about how the cousin would treat his sisters'.  My Dad told me that he would never allow my brother to treat me in that way.  We all were not allowed to disrespect each other  i.e.  call each other stupid, idoit,etc.  We all had our squabbles, as all siblings do, but we never "bullied" or was allowed to hit and hit on our siblings.  I have never commented on a show, but felt I should.  She seemed like she lived under a rock and never have really dealt with a child on a day to day basis, even to babysit.

Replied By: jeannekcfan on Oct 7, 2011, 4:52AM
When there was clips of that mom yelling at her children and they went back to the studio all who sat in the crowd laughed and even Dr. Phil laughed at it. I don't get that! I can't see the fun in a parent yelling at an innocent child. Children get scared of their parents when they are being yelled at and they shut down to care for themselves. I was so sad when i saw people laughing at it! I know she was out of line and yelling at everything but what about that makes it funny? 

Replied By: alison020303 on Mar 30, 2011, 9:58AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW? "DISCUSS WITH THE CHILD WHO IS THROWING A FIT IN A STORE HOW YOU ~UNDERSTAND~  WHAT HE/SHE IS GOING THROUGH????? This woman who wrote this book and Dr. Phil must have been smoking something really toxic before they taped this show!!!!  Yes, Dr. Phil, because that is just ~sooooo easy to do~!!!! Wow....That is such a joke...I have the utmost respect for you, Dr. Phil, but seriously, come on. Let's be real here. These kids are nightmares. The mother who was doing all of the yelling; how can she not yell? Although it seems as though they do not hear her either way, it's a little hard to be all nicey nicey calm and quiet when your kids are acting like absolute animals. And as far as the first child; you spoke about him as though HE was the victim in this. That child needs to be strongly disciplined and the father needs to stop being such a sissy and making the mom look like a tyrant. I am all for communicating with your children. I have an 8 and an 18 year old daughter. If either of them acted that way in the store, they would have gotten spanked immediately. If I needed to, I would have taken her to the bathroom. Your's and the author's advice was not even close to realistic. I am really disappointed in today's show. I am just thankful my children respect me and do not act like brats; as they should be thankful too. ~~

Replied By: terij62 on Mar 25, 2011, 11:49AM - In reply to spectrumteach
Don't feel sorry for a mother with boys.  Engage and be thankful.  Dad needs to enter the picture and become a real father.

Replied By: bevo58 on Mar 24, 2011, 9:52AM
Very seldom do I watch these types of shows even though Dr. Phil usually has an element of common sense that is worth listening to.  Boy was this show a big exception to that rule.  I only stayed tuned long enough to hear the answer to the first question on the quiz to throw in the towel.  Since when did simply telling a child the answer was sometimes NO to their requests become the WRONG thing to do?  Maybe since we are surrounded by a society of spoiled rotten brats who think that the world owes them everything?  And I for one would just love to you see that temper tantrum thrown in a store resolved by telling the child that you understand that he wants it but he just can't have it right now and needs to long for it.  Yes, I am certain that will always work!  Noboby has to tell a child to LONG for things.  Telling them NO and backing it up is what is missing today.  Taking just one minute to remove the item from the child, scoop them up and take a trip outside - even if it meant you didn't get your shopping done right then either, is all it would have taken.  I have raised 4 children and ONE time of leaving the "things" behind and tending to the problem at hand was all it ever took.

Replied By: kathleen27 on Mar 22, 2011, 11:21AM - In reply to reallife_dad
In my opinion, the use of Childrens' Services should be used in cases of ABUSE...PERIOD!
There is a pecking order, and once you lose that, you have lost control within your family.
In today's world, I would not have had children.  Mine are 21, 22, and 28.  I had them young, they all turned out to be wonderful human beings, and I had fun raising them.
All I would have had to hear was one of my kids threaten me with calling the Police.  It's happening now, and I have one friend who actually drove her son, who made that threat, to the Police Station, put him into the lobby, told him..."go file your complaint."
The kid was hysterical, ran out, and never pulled that again.
She had guts...I don't think I'd have been so brave, but it worked.
I didn't have to spank, but if I felt the need, I would have, and I see nothing wrong with it.  These experts have their opinions, but WE are entitled to have ours.
You wonder WHY so many kids are in in after school programs, summer camps, and put anywhere the parents can find?  It's to get them OUT...and it's sad to see that by allowing children to have equal voices of adults, they have become repulsive. 
THAT is abuse...to put the expectations of children to exercise rights when they are too young to understand anything beyond they will rule a household, something they are not capable of doing.
When parents have to "roll over", and being parents, becomes PARENTING via some book, families suffer.
Isn't it obvious, just by looking at what you see children becoming in this progressive society?

Replied By: shayna316 on Mar 22, 2011, 8:56AM
WOW- That woman who constantly yells at her children should have intervention services step in. I can not believe her children live with her and she treats them like that. Screaming all the time at your kids is abusive. She may not get this, but children have rights to. She cant respect her kids, they cant respect her. I feel sorry for those kids. They do not deserve that kind of treatment. Moms are supposed to be loving and caring, and guiding. These poor kids are going to wind up with "mommy issues". I believe it when I say these kids will look back on their childhood with not a single memory of thier mother not yelling or showing the smallest amount of respect. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Replied By: rachel3790 on Mar 22, 2011, 8:43AM
She must not have kids. You can't feel for them every time something is there they want. As Drphil says if it's not this thing its the next thing. We would spend all day "Feeling bad for them and telling them all about it" After a while we would give in because we told them we felt bad for them so many times. We would spend all day doing it nothing else would be going on.
They know they want it, they know they are mad about it. They know we don't want to get it and they are going to be mad until we either choose to get it or tell them to shut up and go on. lol

Replied By: dougjonemily on Mar 22, 2011, 8:04AM - In reply to reallife_dad
I couldn't agree more!  I asked the exact same question - Does this Ms. Braun even have any children?  I have a 20 yr old Son, a 14 yr old Son and a 4 yr old Daughter.  My Daughter behaves EXACTLY like the children of the guests on this show.  My sympathy and complete understanding goes out to these parents.  The advice that Ms. Braun gave was to "get onto the childs team"  was absolutely absurd.  Please tell me how you're suppose to talk to a screaming child as if he/she were a small adult?  I am the first to admit that I must be doing something "wrong" with my Daughter because I never had issues similiar to this with either of my Sons.  So, I am not saying that I'd have any better advice to give, but Ms. Braun's advice was very difficult to listen to.

Showing 1-10 of total 143 Comments