Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/26/10) Paul was his family’s rock and role model, so when he suddenly passed away, his wife and four children say their lives were shattered. Debbie, who was married to Paul for 30 years, says she shut down after his death and doesn’t know how to unite her brood. Sisters Jamie, Erica and Tayler say they don’t know how to properly grieve, they’re always fighting with each other, and they’re upset that their brother, Paul, turned his back on them. Paul says he didn’t run away from his loved ones; he has his own family and says he feels stretched thin. Find out the secret Erica’s been keeping that threatens to throw everyone into further turmoil. If you’re grappling with grief after the loss of a relative, learn how to find closure and peace.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: abbylane1111 on Dec 19, 2014, 5:25AM - In reply to metalmonaann
I hate when he harps on the fact that they smuggled drugs on the plane. Why even bring that up? Even the average Joe knows that they will go through life threatening withdrawl if they stop taking drugs suddenly. It's so ridiculous. Out of all the things wrong, he harps on that. To make matters even worse, he speaks REAL slow and drawn out about it. Most INFURIATING thing. It's because he has nothing else to talk about or offer, so he harps on things that are neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

Replied By: kaetoguchi on Jul 7, 2011, 3:45PM
When my friend died she had no other words to say to me and it was hard  for me and i just want to say something but i couldn't.  I just remember the memories we had. We travelled she and i ate junk food and we've enjoyed it so much we did more.

Replied By: kaetoguchi on Jul 7, 2011, 3:44PM
I know how hard in life you've want to get your way and than it goes to another direction. But, people have to realize when an person dies they have let go and sow how much they love spending time together about the special memories they had with them and you know there is something to this world that god made that is special is human beings. Don't hold on to it and than it won't go away. It will just stay there forever. You may love this person so much but don't worry about it this person loves you so much,okay?

Replied By: mhodgk1 on Jul 5, 2011, 9:21AM - In reply to metalmonaann
I am so happy someone else felt the same way I did about this intervention. The mother was in denial, but she knew the addiction was greater than she was. I work with this on a daily basis and I find that without the family's monetary contributions, addicts often prostitute themselves or rob/steal. They will find a way to get money. An enabler is not a bad person, they are often times the ones making sure that the addict is not getting into more trouble than they already are.
He was so cruel to her, I think she accepted responsibilty and they should have just moved on. It's not about the enabler, its about getting the addict the appropriate help.

Replied By: grma2aiden on Jul 5, 2011, 5:37AM
My Mom married my dad when I was 11 and I am now 45. We lost him last year on September 10, 2010. Two weeks after his passing my Mom found out she had cancer. It has been a rough 10 months. My Mom has good days and bad days. On the bad days she doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I try to make her laugh and comfort her as best I can. Some days she says to me that she doesn't want anyone bringing up the past memories of him. They were married for 32 years. They did everything together and he was her rock. Between the two of them they had 8 children but none of their own. My Mom is still batteling cancer. They finally put her on a chemo pill that she has to take 3 a day. I live 2 hours away but make the trip to go be with her for 4-5 days out of the week. I have 2 teenagers and a husband. Without their support I don't know what I would do. It seems like everyone else in the family has given up. I knew it would happen. 2 of my brothers would be with her day and night. My oldest brother lives with her. He works during the week and parties on the weekend. I have been left to mow the yard and clean the house. I hope I'm not sounding selfish because she is MY Mom too and she compensates me for doing things for her. I believe all of us are having our own way of dealing with this loss. I was put on 2 more antidepressants and they really help. My Dad was a wonderful man to all of us kids...even tho 5 of us are his step children. He always treated us equal. I miss him too!

Replied By: canadianperson on Jul 4, 2011, 3:15PM
Hello,

I hate how people think that treating a drug addict with force is going to make them shape up. Perhaps to some I am sure, but I know that you feel so guilty and ashamed for having a drug problem that yelling at me or telling me not to drugs is not going to help. I really feel for the daughter, and I understand what and how she may be feeling because I to have suffered from substance abuse. If you are ready, get the help. Keep fighting this! You will always be a drug addict, but you don't have to continue practising the act. Do you understand what I mean? You and I have tried drugs, and we probably even enjoyed getting high and actually feeling something when we just go through everyday feeling unmotivated and lifeless, but you have to fight it. When you begin to heal, try working out. Running has really saved me, and I love the rush, which is simular to a "drug high." Fight your brain, and you will never go back to drugs again, but will always have that itch wanting to scratch. Scratch it with something healthy! Goodluck to you and your family. I have been using since I was 11 years old, and it's taken me years to really fight with this, and I still struggle, and I have ever relapsed, but it gets easier. Fight to live!

Replied By: pfinkum on Jul 4, 2011, 3:08PM - In reply to metalmonaann
I just watched what apparently was a rerun of this show. I felt the same way you felt. I was shocked to that Dr. Phil reacted the way he did. I am not a psychologist but even I would know not to expect a drug addict to be able to get on a plane and fly out to his show and spend all day at the set and be able to make it without drugs.

Replied By: djfromtx on Jul 3, 2011, 2:10PM
Dear Debbie,

I understand how difficult loosing those you love can be.

I lost my parents, grandmothers and brother all in a two year period .  this is a sad fact of life.  I, too shut down and cried all the time and prayed alot as well.

When I finally decided to get help, two important things where bought to my attention:  Would my family want me to roll over and give up or would they want me to remember them with happiness.

Second: They are watching over me and are safe from this world. My father and brother died very suddenly.    I took care of my grandmothers and they passed in my home as well as my mother several weeks later.

So i know your pain and how it can grip so hard you want to scream....by the way I did!

You and your family need to be able to grieve their own way. To tell somebody they aren't grieving "right" or not enough, it can create a rift in the family.

Allow yourself and your family to do what they need to do to start healing.  It can be a long process and  that's okay.

Would your husband want you falling  apart everyday?  I believe he would want you to get up, wash your face and smile.    Okay, easier said than done......TRY Please.  For His memory.

I will keep you in my prayers!

Let the Lord help you as well, okay.

Every Blessing

djfromtx

Replied By: hpmx59 on Jul 2, 2011, 10:27AM
Apart Doctor Fall Fam Ily Ing Phil/Robin. Where did I see this before? Now I remember it was last year.------- See you on 07/04/11. Day Indepence. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------

Replied By: mamaofmy3girlz on Jul 2, 2011, 7:19AM - In reply to namedeclin
I am doing a 15 page research paper in my senior seminar class. The paper is on Florida passing the welfare/drug testing bill.  I feel that people should never be stereo typed.  I do however, believe that if a person is seeking assistance of any kind.  We should all have no problem with a give and take attitude. So you want assistance we would love to give it to you, we can help you with health, food, cash, job assistance, housing. The give- a clean result on a drug test.....Does that seem like to much to ask for with so much that is being offered in return..

I do not think that we can turn away with out offering an option -If we turn them away for a year and they cannot reapply, then I do believe we should be able, if they are willing and wanting to offer some sort of rehabilitation and counseling with a penalty at the end if they do not continue or do not pass which one of course they cant apply for benefits but also they will be on some sort of perhaps random urinalysis type probation.   What do you  or others think?

Showing 1-10 of total 38 Comments