Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/17/10) Jessica, a mom of six, sent Dr. Phil a home video so disturbing it brings Robin McGraw and most audience members to tears. In it, she admits to being angry all the time and struggling to discipline her 7-year-old adopted son, Kristoff. As punishment for acting up in school and trying to hide his misconduct card, Jessica screams at the boy, pours hot sauce in his mouth and puts him in an ice cold shower as he shrieks in pain and fear. Several audience members give Jessica a piece of their mind, but she says she's tried other disciplinary methods and nothing has worked -- and she came to Dr. Phil for help. Can this stressed-out mom get the guidance she needs to control her temper and reform her discipline techniques? Can she establish a bond with her son? And, do her actions constitute child abuse? Attorney and child advocate Areva Martin weighs in. It’s an intense Dr. Phil you don’t want to miss!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: adapted on Nov 17, 2010, 7:53AM
After watching the show of the angry mom, I am left to wonder why no one mentioned her reference to him as an adopted child.  She mentioned several times that he was adopted with his twin, but the "good" one was more like her biological son.  I am adopted and lived that sort of life, making me sensitive to this topic.  However, the fact remains she is not the type of person who should have been able to adopt!  She wanted her biological child, not someones cast off, she said as much in the beginning interview.  It makes me sick that she not only took a child who had been neglected and abused only to put him through more abuse in the disguise of a loving home.... something every child in social services dreams of.  She took his and his brothers dream, and made it a nightmare!  How can people stand by and watch as an orphaned child be used and treated as underclass by the very people who promised to love them? 

Replied By: jennct on Nov 17, 2010, 7:51AM
This is the first episode in your 8 years that I cannot watch. I turned it off after 2 minutes, feeling physically ill and heartbroken.

The terrifying thought is that this is happening in other homes in our country, in my town, in my neighborhood, but I don't know which ones, and these are parents that will not receive help. I am profoundly sad.

Replied By: marnie100 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:50AM - In reply to cherieb325
It takes a loving and true mother to seek the special help you needed for your son.
It takes a brave and unselfish mother to allow others to meet their special needs.  It is very difficult to walk my daughter through the guilt of having to relinquish more time to teachers and respite workers for her autistic child.  We give everything within our power to help our beautiful gift from God,  and now at age 6 it is increasingly more difficult.  We are hiring a full time employee, a teacher, and it has taken a long time to convince her to do it. She goes to a wonderful school for Autism and she needs more of a therapist for the rest of the day and weekends.   It is truly an unselfish act to allow those who are necessary for her growth to take the time of the child.  Having help does not diminish the love of the mother, father and family.  It is the definition of love. Our little girl knows the word kiss and leans her forehead forward.  Hope is around the corner.

Replied By: ctmom1 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:49AM
I watched todays show, and I feel this woman needs her kids taken away the way she treated this child. I have an only child and I would never treat him like she treated that child, No child should ever have to have hot sauce put in their mouths or take a cold shower. I walk out of the room if I get upset with my son and then we talk later. The way she acted was child abuse, she has to know that the way she acted is no way to treat a child. I began to wonder how she treats her other children. She also needs to know that she is ruining his self esteem and he will be angry with her the rest of his life.No child should be afraid of his mother, she needs to be arrested for doing what she did to her son. My son has ADHD and I would never discipline my child the way she treated that child. I don't yell or hit my child and my son loves me and respects me.

Replied By: lucky094 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:45AM
If someone from this show has not contacted the authorities about this mother then you should be ashamed. This mother deserves no sympathy and the thought that she should receive respect from the audience is laughable. Are you kidding me! I am so disturbed and angered by what I have seen. This mom is an abuser

Replied By: lucky094 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:41AM - In reply to casey3221
You are sick! If you cannot handle the behaviors of an individual without reducing yourself to abuse than you need to give that responsibility to someone else. You get no sympathy here! Get over yourself!

Replied By: cjpulfer on Nov 17, 2010, 7:39AM
pretty sad that jessica's mom norma is crying and no way shape or form does jessica have any tears for what she says "i know its wrong"  where is her tears for what she has done and wherre is the dad in all of this and should of interviewed the 10 yr old as well like dr.phil has in the past with other children.. to at least find out more in detail if they get the same punishment

Replied By: stacey5873 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:38AM
I was so hurt by what i saw on todays show. I cried so hard and I had to change the channel while they showed some of that video. How dare anyone do that to a child.I have 2 boys and boys will be boys. I understand that that child may have issues but there are better ways than abuse. that child should allready be gone, along with that mother and she should be in jail. I think she should take a cold shower and she should put hot sauce in her mouth. unbelievable!! I would love to hear that the boy is getting the love for one that he deserves and help to deal with not only the adoption but the abuse. I was not going to watch this show but I happen to turn it on and I love your show but it was a hard one to watch and not yell at the tv . I am glad at least that this was not kept quiet, and hopefully  this so called mom  realizes that she is dead wrong on how she thinks and reacts to this child. what about the other children???

Replied By: lyneeb2004 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:36AM
OMG My heartaches for this poor child. He needs LOVE, UNDERSTANDING AND PATIENCE, not to live in fear.  Everyday  this child is afraid and scared.  HE IS 7 adults cant deal with abuse so how do you think a child can.  He moved from one horrible situation to another.  How do you think he feels looking at his twin brother knowing he is not treated this way?  His brother is loved and protected, but he is not.  HELP HIM and LOVE HIM.  He is 7 dont judge him protect him.

Replied By: bomb1234 on Nov 17, 2010, 7:34AM
This is NOT a mother!! These parents should NOT be able to adopt any more children. She is not helping this child at all, if anything she is making him worse. I feel so bad for this child! These parents should  have these children taken away. I do say all the children should be taken out not just the young boy because they are not fit to have any children! I feel horrible for him. I am a mother of two boys and my frustration level rises alot. NEVER have I EVER thought "I am going to put my chidlren in a ice cold shower" or " maybe hot sauce in their mouths will teach them"! Are you kidding me? Even in my most frustrated moments with my children have I EVER thought that I would do such harm! I think this lady should  have to go through all the things she puts her child through. I do not believe that this women even feels sorry for what shes doing..She is showing NO emotion. I am saddened by seeing this..it breaks my heart! EVERYONE PRAY FOR THIS YOUNG CHILD AND FOR THE REST OF THE CHILDREN IN THE HOME.

Showing 881-890 of total 946 Comments