Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/01/10) Dr. Phil tackles two news stories that have captivated millions. First up, is it ever appropriate to confront your child’s bullies? That’s what James Jones says he did when he boarded his 12-year-old daughter, Chatari’s, school bus, and the video of his tirade went viral! James says some of the students terrorized his child, who suffers from cerebral palsy, and his actions resulted in two second-degree misdemeanor charges against him. CNN contributor Roland Martin joins the show, and he says James should be named Father of the Year for protecting Chatari, who was reportedly hit, called names and had condoms thrown at her. Roland goes head-to-head with attorney Areva Martin, who says James’s behavior was unwarranted. Did this dad cross the line? What does Dr. Phil think? Plus, the disappearance of David Hartley reads like a murder mystery. His wife, Tiffany, says they were on vacation when David was shot in the head by Mexican pirates while jet skiing. His body was never recovered, and Mexican authorities question if the event really occurred. Some people wonder if Tiffany was involved, but she maintains her innocence. Find out why she declined a lie detector test, and hear Dr. Phil’s message for her.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nzbatman on Aug 18, 2011, 6:46PM
This show aired today in New Zealand, August 19th 2011 and as a Father of a 13 year old daughter myself I was almost bought to tears. If that had been my daughter I would have done the exact same thing, yes the swearing was a bit uncaleld for, but seriously, all of us in that state would have done the same. I commend this father as a father myself, it shows that this man loves this child beyond belief, as I do mine, and he is going to do what ever it takes to ensure his little girl is both safe and Happy. My heart goes out to you and your little girl, you can see how proud of her you are and also just how much she loves her Daddy. I sincerely hope you are not punished for protecting your child from these animals.
Regards Garry from NZ.

Replied By: reesah on Jun 20, 2011, 4:04AM
I am the mother of two grown children and have three small grandchildren. You can do anything you want to me or anything I own. But, DON’T mess with my children or grandchildren. I am appalled at all the people here who are criticizing these fathers’ actions. Who are you to pass judgement on this man? None of us can honestly say how we would react, unless you were in this fathers shoes. If this had been your child, you would have probably been irate also. I know I would be livid.
When I was in the first grade, the bus driver we had refused to listen when my cousin was trying to get him to wait for me to get from the back of the bus, because I couldn’t get through all the older kids who were blocking the isle. My cousin ran to my house to tell my Dad what had happened. My Dad jumped in his truck and drove a different route, so he could be at the end of the road before the bus got there. My Dad parked in the middle of the road so the bus couldn’t go any further. The bus driver was not happy with my Dad for blocking the road and became belligerent and began shouting obscenities. When the driver realized why my Dad was there, he tried to get my Dad to take me so he could finish with his bus route. But, since the driver had acted so belligerent and unprofessional, my Dad wanted to be sure that the driver never left my bus stop or any other bus stop without being sure that everyone who was supposed to get off was off. My Dad got in his truck and forced the driver to return to my bus stop, which was approximately 1 ½ miles away, “BACKWARDS,” to let me off the bus. When the driver got back to the bus barn, he reported the incident to his supervisor, only to find out that my Dad had already reported the incident to his supervisor and the police department. A mandatory meeting with the driver, his supervisor and a police officer was set for the following morning. Both the driver and my Dad had to file separate incident reports. Obviously, they both had different versions of what happened. After talking with several of the older students that were on the bus who had witnessed what happened, the driver was reprimanded for his foul language and belligerent actions in front of the students. Dad was issued a verbal warning by the police officer for impeding traffic. The school was also issued a written warning by the police officer for the bus exceeding the maximum capacity of students allowed. I’m sure that was a day that bus driver NEVER forgot. Although, my situation didn't involve bullying, it was a situation that involved a bus driver not paying attention, which could have possibly had a VERY TRAGIC outcome. Thankfully that was not the case.

Replied By: kody2002 on Jun 18, 2011, 6:18AM
As a school teacher and a mother of a child with Autism, I can't tell you how PROUD I am with this dad.  After watching the show, you can see this man was pushed to the limits, and had NO choice in order to protect his daughter.  I admire him for taking a stand!

Replied By: phsamgb on Jun 16, 2011, 5:47PM
After watching the show and hearing about Tiffanys story I went online and did some research.  What I found out from news broadcasting stories was intersting to me.  The border on Falcon Lake is 200 yards from Texas. It was said that once you cross the border to Mexico it is not unusual for you to be confronted with machine guns.  Tiffany was followed from the Mexican side back over to the American shore by these pirates.  From that we clearly know someone is partolling/watching from the Mexican side. Why was it posisble that pirates from Mexico not only crossed over to the American side..... but followed her back to the shore.  All this happened while no one from our country was patrolling our side of the water. Maybe we should have security for our borders just as strong as the pirates "drug cartel." It is horrible Tiffany must go through such pain.

Replied By: jennef on Jun 16, 2011, 5:31PM
,,,gets confrontational,over-emotional & she really raises her voice when she doesn't agree with someone.What a contrast with the woman who was consulted on Monday re domestic violence .Calm & quietly spoken, I listened to her every word.
I just wanted Ms. Martin to stop shouting.

Replied By: mjycaq123 on Jun 16, 2011, 2:19PM
I would have done the same thing. We live in South Dakota (Rapid City). We are the the only state in the country who has had more suidices  from people bullying other kids. These kids have gone as far as hanging them self on the football field on the goal. And another was hanging her self from a tour attraction. We need more parents to step in and do what this father did. If he sits in jail for this at least he will live like king. And he could have calmed his languages, but when anyone is full of anger they cant control what comes out. So I give him a high five for getting his point across. more then anything was being a parent.

Replied By: elizabeth74 on Jun 16, 2011, 10:44AM
Good job, Dad!!! You have such a sweet daughter. No one should be bullied and if she told someone 3 times and no one did anything? GOOD JOB! The threat to kill may have been a little overkill, but you made your point. They wouldn't have listened if you tried to be all nice and sweet about it-- they probably would've teased her more. The school and parents shouldn't be let off the hook. All of the focus has been on the dad, where's the focus on the bullies? What is the school doing about the bullies in that situation? Even if the court says you were wrong, you changed your little girl's life for the better! No one can ever change that! Physically touching her is violating her. And throwing condoms around on the bus, whether it be directly at your daughter, or simply throwing them around is sick and should be considered bullying on all of the other students as well. They should be held accountable. The bus driver should be fired for not maintaining control on his bus.  Was he too scared to address the issues? Come on, isn't he just as guilty of the bullying if he just stood by and did nothing about it when he was present the whole time?

Replied By: agarcia55 on Jun 16, 2011, 9:54AM
When I was in 6th grade I was bullied alot. I couldn't even go to the last day of school that year because the kids threatened to stab me. They actually brough knives to school. The majority of the 8th grade class was all after me for what ever reason. My mom tried to help by going to the principal and bringing up some of the kids to  talk to them. It only made things worse for me. I stopped tell my mom about things that would happen to me at school. I think the father in this case may have gone a little over the top, but not by much. These kids are old enough to know what they are doing and that it's wrong. They need someone to scare them, whether it be their own parent (who obviouly aren't doing anything), the school, the driver, or the parent of the kids being bullied! Something should have been done along time before the father was told about it. That school and driver need to both say sorry and fix the problem. Not give some generic statement blaming only the father!

Replied By: yakibee on Jun 16, 2011, 9:46AM
I do beleive this father was in the right when it came to comfronting the bully but i dont think he should have went that far but i can see how when you are enraged how sometimes it just comes out. I was bullied myself when i was a kid and not only was it another kid that did it her mother was bulling me as well and i never felt better then the day my mom stood up to the other kids mom, my teacher and my principal. I pick up my neice and nephew from their school quite often and i see school yard bullys picking on other kids and i always open my mouth and tell the bully to leave the kid alone i will not stand there and watch because that make me no better then the bully. I hope that my kids is strong enough to stand up for her self and if she isnt i wont thing twice about going there and putting a scare into that kids head. I an very proud of this man and i hope the future brings great things for him and his daughter.

Replied By: novemberdawn on Jun 16, 2011, 7:47AM - In reply to amykch
I agree with your comment. These were middle school children. Not elementary school children. Middle school children are old enough to comprehend more of what was going on.

Showing 1-10 of total 511 Comments