Twitter Facebook YouTube

2011 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/14/10) Have you ever dreamed that you were flying or your teeth were falling out? Dr. Phil sheds light on the meaning of common dreams with help from his experts: Cynthia Richmond, behavioral therapist and author of Dream Power: How to Use Your Night Dreams to Change Your Life, and Dr. Deirdre Barrett, a Harvard psychologist and co-author of The Encyclopedia on Dreams. First up, Jamie has recurring dreams that his wife, Donna, is cheating on him. He says these nocturnal episodes are so vivid, that he wonders if his wife is being unfaithful. Donna says she tries to convince her husband that she’s not stepping out on him and she’s fed up with his jealousy. What’s at the root of Jamie’s dreams? Then, Nanette says her fiancé, Rick, yells, slaps and grabs her -- all while sleeping! Is his behavior a sign of something more serious? Plus, can dreams predict the future? Dr. Phil and his experts weigh in on this controversial theory, and several audience members get their dreams analyzed.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: gchoogen on Aug 12, 2014, 10:59AM
The first several years of our marriage (it's been 34 years now), I would dream that my husband was cheating on me and just flaunting it and not even caring!  I would wake up so angry at him.  My husband solved the problem by apologizing for his behavior ... or the behavior of his dream self.  That always made me feel better.

My first husband did cheat on me and so I had trust issues I guess.  So the best way to handle cheating dreams is to have the "cheater" apologize for the dream behavior ;)   Worked for me. 

Replied By: leanaolivas on Feb 13, 2014, 2:25PM
I have one in childhood that lasted years. I was in an empty room...hardwood floors. I was crouched down in a corner scared. I knew someone was watching me through a keyhole in the door. Somehow I could finally make out who it was...and it was ME (myself) .

Another was my mom and I had gone to visit relatives. They went into the kitchen to visit. I was curious and wanted to see the house. So I began exploring. It was almost like a cave I entered,,,yet each room was quite normal. Bedrooms....but many of them...one after another as you went deeper into the cave. Each one decorated differently. It was quite enjoyable as I continued to go into each room. Alone/quiet. 

The last is I am going down a highway as the driver....and I suddenly look ahead just as we are about to run into the backend of a semi in the road....but I wake before we hit. One can only imagine the terror. 

Replied By: pipsqueek on Apr 9, 2011, 5:04PM
For several years I've had these horrible nightmares. There is always someone hurting me...and I often end up with bruises and such. The person hurting me is nearly always someone i know very well. During these nightmares, I'm always trying to wake myself up, and scream for help.  Problem is, I'm completely paralyzed, can't talk, can't fight back, nothing; except i can see....both real things (I can tell you the exact time these happen.  I can see the clock, watch the minutes pass by, and remember) and I also see things that are not real (the person hurting me).  This happens nearly everytime i try to sleep, no matter what time of day or night.  I try desperatly to wake up from the nightmares, but it's impossible to.  When the nightmare is over and I finally actually wake up, I'm in intense pain...severe headaches, muscle pain.
Today was horrible...my "attacker" was my ex.  It lasted over 45 minutes and I'm in a lot of pain still.
The first time this happened to me is when I was 17.  Twelve years later, I'm still having the same type of nightmares, just different people in them.  This is to the point that, even if I do take sleeping pills, I'll fight sleep until I eventually just fall over exhauseted.  Many times I go two or three days without sleeping.  What's going on with me?  I really need help.  Tried several counselors, that doesn't work.  doctors don't believe me.  I don't know what to do!
I kinow the first guess is probably post traumatic stress disorder....could be...but you'd think if that was the case, at least one doctor would take me seriously!

Replied By: avalon1743 on Apr 1, 2011, 1:36PM
When I was young around the age of 7-10 I used to dream of flying over my neighborhood. Also in my home I used to float around the house quite freely. I liked the feeling of floating and it always felt real. I have not been able to recreate that feeling since then.

Later age early 20's, I always had dreams of searching cemetary's, looking at gravestones for something and watching the time (looking at clocks).

I am no in my 50's, I still have dreams but they are not as intensive as when I was younger and they seem to always leave me feeling pretty good.

I am curious as the dreams I used to have. What did they mean?

Replied By: ojghtyefty on Mar 30, 2011, 1:31PM
I had a dream once about Dr Phil and Robin being locked in my bathroom with me. Then it started to snow - in the bathroom !  Analyze that one.

Replied By: robinmoraine on Mar 28, 2011, 3:37PM
I have several reoccuring dreams that I am very curious as to what if any meaning that they have .... One is that I steal food

Replied By: sunkistgumdrop on Mar 28, 2011, 9:39AM
So I had this dream where aliens abducting me and kept me in their lab. (I don't even believe in aliens to be honest.) As I was asleep in the lab the aliens gave me these instructions. Rule 1: Trust your gut feeling and beware of setbacks. Rule 2: Do not rush through this time period. Look for signs and clues. Rule 3: Do not accept help when reaching this exit. So I keep walking around looking for signs and clues. I'm also looking around to see if I recognize anyone. I keep walking some more until I run into this person. They claim to remember me but I clearly don't remember them or even know them. It was a girl and she was kind and friendly. She tried to explain to me that we once met at a New Years Eve party. I asked her questions and she asked me questions. It felt like I knew her but I really didn't and she knew everything about me. Later on I run into this other girl, she claims she's a good friend of mine and that we known each other a while. After she had gone home though a bus arrived out of no where, I ride it for a little bit then hop off. Again I run into another girl and she gives me this small gift box. As I was nearing the exit Batman appeared and offered help. I had to turn the offer down and then he left. And the next thing I knew I woke up from my dream.

P.S. I have many other realistic dreams like this too.

Replied By: chaos06069 on Mar 27, 2011, 9:58AM
I too have premonition dreams that have come true. I hardly doubt it is linked to subconscious thoughts during the day. I have family members who have strong psychic connections and also have premonition dreams going back 40 or 50 years.

Replied By: haifahaifa on Mar 26, 2011, 11:12AM
Dear Dr.PhilI I am a big believer in dreams, not only to show you your internal dialogue but also to see something that happened in the past or currently is happening or something that will happen in the future, this is what I see in my dreams, especially if I concentrated on the person or something before I go to sleep, I remember seeing a lot of dreams after watching your show in which you present a case of murder or missing and at the same day I’ll see something related to them even I saw something that can be of benefit in their case, even I tried to contact some of them and tell them, but still they can’t trust this side of human being and all I get is the shutdown, that’s why I stopped doing so, and keep the information that I get from my dream to myself and my curiosity, but still I find it very interesting gift and I really want to share any information in my dream with an case needed, because I believe that I see those thing for a reason, and Allison Dubois is a great example about that.
I am not looking for any benefit of it except for helping and delivering the messages I saw

Replied By: grammyevans on Mar 26, 2011, 11:11AM
I lost my son to cancer in 2010. i have reoccuring dreams that he is alive and well. what does this mean? i know he is not coming back.

Showing 1-10 of total 312 Comments