2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/15/10) Parents: Could your child be participating in a scary new fad? Learn the top three questions you should ask your teen. Spice may sound like a common household ingredient, but it’s a slang term for synthetic marijuana. Chris, 20, and his 17-year-old brother, Tyler, say they smoke spice because it’s a legal alternative to pot, and it makes them feel relaxed. Their mother, Billie, says her sons become verbally abusive and destructive when smoking, and she worries that the drug may be affecting their health. Dr. Daniel Amen, a neuropsychiatrist, reveals the hidden dangers of spice. Then, rave parties attract thousands of teens, but could these electronic music and light shows be deadly? Dr. Phil talks to Gracie, the mother of 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez, who died after attending the Electric Daisy Carnival. Should raves be banned? Nick, a self-described raver, speaks up. Plus, learn about a risky new trend that takes body art to a whole new level.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: momtalk on Oct 18, 2010, 3:55AM - In reply to bcaroin
Thank you for bringing your family on the show and educating millions of viewers. Unfortunately we also just learned of this "Spice" recently when our child and friends decided to experiment.  I have tried to get all the information that I possibly could on this "legal" substance and am currently working with legislation to get a bill passed to make this illegal.  Our child had a severe reaction the 2nd time this was used and ended up using again: peer pressure, stupidity...  I hope the last episode was scarey enough, especially since I contacted all the friends parents and we got together.  My child is not speaking to me and I am doing all I can to educate others about the dangers of this drug.

Replied By: darraine on Oct 17, 2010, 5:09AM - In reply to darraine
Dr Phil,

I posted a message earlier but forgot to ask this very important question. Regarding the 15 year old girl at the "Rave Event" why was there a lawyer involved? Was it because the 15 year old fainted / past out at the event and the club is sewing the parents because their daughter lied about her age by using falsh identification? Or was it because the parents of this 15 year old feels the "Rave event" is responsible for the death of their daughter? If this is the case, then who's responsible for knowing where their minor children are??  Again I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF THIS "CHILD", but we need to look in our own backyards before blaming the world for our carelessness as parents.

Replied By: jgrady on Oct 16, 2010, 10:45PM
I was upset by the "rave" section of this show, then more upset by the posts by IGNORANT people about it. I don't know of many people in there late 30's to mid 50's that didn't attend concerts or woodstock or burning man when they were in there late teens to early 20's. Yes I am SURE that there were never ANY drugs there, and that you NEVER were offered any of those non exsistant drugs while attending a concert FOR THE MUSIC! Raves are a place where MOST people go to hear there favorite DJ just like your favorite band. (I'm sure they should have banned the Beatles because of the massive drug use like pot there too, or wait maybe it was just a handful of people.....who will ever know, there wasn't the media coverage back then)
There is underage and illegal drug use LIKE EVERY OTHER CONCERT, but NO ONE gets "SLIPPED" Ecstasy, it is the worst taste you have ever ingested and they would immediately know they took something. ALSO..... WHAT DID THE TOX SCREEN REALLY SAY ON THAT GIRL, or was it water intoxication? Because pure MDMA CANNOT KILL YOU!!!! It is physically impossible to OD on a chemical that works like any serotonin re uptake drug just at a quicker rate. That girl unfortunately took something beside OR WITH MDMA that killed her. Chances are though she was offered it and not "slipped" it. Most "rave" drugs are NOT flavorless, she would have known and if not a willing participant could have gone to any of there booths to seek medical attention. But you only hear what the media has to say and have never even been in one so don't know that there are medical booths spread all out in raves for emergency situations.
EDC is one of only a handful of "raves" that are that massive a year. The only reason it was so out of control was because of the obscene amount of people attending. Most raves are 5-20,000 people and security is the utmost and ID's are checked.
TO SUM IT UP. Who makes a decision based on such little information? And really who believes everything they hear in the media? Investigate any topic and make a EDUCATED decision before going around trying to take away everyone's rights to everything! LEARN TO PARENT! If your open enough with your kids they will be honest even about the drug use. I was with my parents! NO I'm not some kid, I am a responsibly married 31 year old who doesn't condone drug use but loves the music and will never grow out of it!

Replied By: jgrady on Oct 16, 2010, 10:15PM - In reply to wakeupearth
Sounds to me like you got your marriage into swinging and drug use and then wanted to grow up and stop. But the problem is when you bring sex with other partners and drug use into your marriage and then expect to just move past it, you were sorely mistaken. You opened pandoras box in your marriage and it failed because your husband got hooked to what you allowed into your marriage as a lifestyle and not a passtime. Take responsibilty and understand it is also your fault, and STOP blaming it on a culture!

Replied By: bcaroin on Oct 16, 2010, 10:14PM - In reply to tearsofjade
Actually you are very WRONG. He punched his door out of anger because we did not allow him to do something he wanted to do.... And yes we did drug test him... And No it did not have anything in his system that show up on a drug test... Some of you people think because you use real weed or the fake weed and that you don't have these symtoms that you have all the answers and are real quick to blame the children attitudes on their upbringing... I have been a damn good parent.. I have always taught my children how bad any type of drugs can be.. You can teach them all the right things. They have to make their own decisions. (I realize that). My reasoning for this show was to educate parents that if they are seeing all the signs of drug use and the drug test are coming up clean then this drug  could be what they are using... Most children don't even know about this and smoke it because their friends are......

Replied By: bcaroin on Oct 16, 2010, 9:27PM - In reply to sistersam9149
I am the parent that was on this show... And to answer your question that you were waiting for Dr. Phil to ask, "What are you doing to contribute around the house.. Well If they don't have a job! How could they possibly pay rent? And my children have not been giving life on a silver platter.... They work for what they get.. If they want spending money then they do chores and help with what ever needs to be done. They clean their own rooms,(WITHOUT PAY) they wash their own clothes.(WITHOUT PAY). If they want spending money they earn it.. Nothing is just handed over to them. They need gas money, they earn it. They have always had responsibilites around the house since they were big enough to do chores. This show was not to see how they could be paying their way in life. It was to better educate parents as well as children about this drug that teens are using as well as some adults. And that it is a very dangerous substance that is legal to buy but is not intended for human consumption and needs to be banned not just in 11 states but nationwide. As well as to better educate my children, as they did not believe (because it is legal) that this drug could be harming them. We are very active parents. My life is all about my children. I know where they are, who they are with... I know their passwords to their facebooks.. I'm aware of their friends what they are doing. I want parents to know that it is their responsibility to be nosey.. They need to know where their children are, who they are with, what their children are doing. Educate your children on this drug so they know how dangerous this is.. before they try it..

Replied By: clive_canhome on Oct 16, 2010, 7:48PM
Raves
You had one person die in a crowd of one hundred thousand. As unfortunate for the girl and her family, this is a rather good and safe statistic considering the supposed potential harms within it. I remember watching a news clip a few years back about an accident that occurred at a hockey game where this kid in the viewing crowd got hit by a puck and killed instantly. But in sports crowds, there has no doubt been larger statistical harms done amongst the crowds due to more unruly behavior than concert halls and certainly raves. Why has all sports not been proposed to be banned under the same scrutiny and logic as Dr Phil has seemed to be implying should be done for the same reasons? In fact, I found it ironic that Dr Phil even suggested sports as an alternative activity to his guest's reasoning for going to raves.
The prejudice is clear. This is the connection that the show wants you to see: A girl dies at a crowd at a Rave; She died from a drug that supposedly she did not intend to take (how is this possibly determined, who know?); The Rave and, in general, all Raves, promote innocent people into doing drugs they do not really intend to do; Although the girl was 15 and was underage, Dr Phil verbally claimed in a preface to a comment, "They are letting 12, 13, and 14 year olds into these things..." without qualification or evidence. Therefore all Raves are evil and should be banned.
Personally, I would send my kid to a Rave before sporting events. Sports involvement requires genetic physical qualifications and aims to get people to compete with one another to obtain hierarchal statis of winners and losers. Observing sports is just gambling. On the other hand, a Rave has no pre-requisites and its aim is to maximize enjoyment for everyone involved with no intent to do harm. Incidental harms such as drug experimentation is more hazardous at a bar that serves alcohol.

Spice
This is just another poke at prohibition of something new out there that provides recreational use that is not founded on nature and God, according to the preachers. I say, pick on alcohol, you cowards, and see how far that gets you. Alcohol is far worse than even crack cocaine but American established society is too dumb to know that because (a) they personally haven't tried the alternative drug in question, (b) they believe that what is illegal in law is actually bad in nature [the same as what is legal, is good.] This is ironic since the propents against Spice seem to recognize this reasoning as sound and yet are the likeliest strongest trusters in believing once something is considered illegal, it is inherently evil. (c) they only hear or listen to the negative stories of the drug in question because positive stories imply that the person is under the influence of the drug, which in their mind, is inherently unnatural, bad, or evil, and therefore is inadmissable. So in Dr Phil's words, "You can't win!"
Has anyone ever wondered why food and drug administration in governments all over the world work under the same classification? It's because really, there is only a legal distinction between the two. In fact, you could consider all food as drugs because they are things we intake that cause certain chemical reactions within our bodies in order to function. The real difference between things like cocaine and heroin, or flour and sugar, is that we require things like flour and sugar to exist wheras things like cocaine and heroin, are not essential to our diet, but provide enhanced pleasure. It is a lie that illegal drugs are any more physically bad for you than any other food substance if taken maturely. Making something illegal only assures us of the uncertainty of its safety when consumed by illegal street vendors and pumps up the price due to the risk of business operations. These drugs are by their nature pleasure producers and thus create a natural addiction to our desires. So they cause problems when people struggle to attain them with prejudice.
Many of you may feel that living a long enduring life without pleasure is more valuable than a shorter one with pleasure. That seems to be the religious contention and is suitable because you sincerely believe that you are only here in life to earn an eternal position in an afterlife for which the duller and more servile one you live here, the better eternal one you'll gain there. Well, that's you're fantasy drug. Let those who live today have there right to live their lives not in your vision.

Replied By: preraph on Oct 16, 2010, 5:25PM
Many more people die from soccer moms driving to pick their kids up from school while using a cellphone than die at raves, so why aren't you talking about "doing away" with THAT? We live in America and we have Constitutional rights. You can arrest anyone doing anything illegal at a bar or parties or raves or concerts, but it's not the police-state Kent State 60s anymore and most people know their rights under the Constitution and know you can no longer arrest everyone or abolish something just because you fear it and disapprove of it.  You aren't allowed to prohibit law-abiding citizens from enjoying whatever they enjoy just because some element is breaking the law at that event or pastime. 

It's low to jump on that kid for expressing his opinion, as he was brought on the show to do, because the woman on stage lost a kid.  He had nothing to do with that.  Most of the kids at that show had nothing to do with it.  So until you're ready to pull the plug on everyone who drives a car because it might someday kill someone, which is by far the most dangerous thing most of us do in life, you have no business even contemplating dictating what other people do for fun.  That's a blatant moral agenda. You don't get to set morals and practices for everyone else. 

Replied By: barney1072 on Oct 16, 2010, 3:19PM
hello i was just curious if everyone was aware that they also sell blue magic bath salts which are the spice of cocaine! how is it legal for them to sell things like these???

Replied By: tisidi on Oct 16, 2010, 1:00PM
Found htis link to be a great resource:

JWH-018
from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWH-018

According to the writer Kevin Keck, who sampled various brands of herbal incense containing JWH-018 for research on the subject, "A small amount does produce visual distortions and a marijuana-like buzz. I can easily understand how individuals with little or no experience in navigating this psychic terrain could experience extreme panic attacks that prompt them to seek medical attention...It is not a problem that responsible people use [JWH-018], it is a serious problem that naïve and foolish people use [it]. It is the same problem that surrounds alcohol and any other number of legal prescription drugs."[22]

Showing 21-30 of total 119 Comments