2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/15/10) Parents: Could your child be participating in a scary new fad? Learn the top three questions you should ask your teen. Spice may sound like a common household ingredient, but it’s a slang term for synthetic marijuana. Chris, 20, and his 17-year-old brother, Tyler, say they smoke spice because it’s a legal alternative to pot, and it makes them feel relaxed. Their mother, Billie, says her sons become verbally abusive and destructive when smoking, and she worries that the drug may be affecting their health. Dr. Daniel Amen, a neuropsychiatrist, reveals the hidden dangers of spice. Then, rave parties attract thousands of teens, but could these electronic music and light shows be deadly? Dr. Phil talks to Gracie, the mother of 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez, who died after attending the Electric Daisy Carnival. Should raves be banned? Nick, a self-described raver, speaks up. Plus, learn about a risky new trend that takes body art to a whole new level.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jstroud905 on Oct 15, 2010, 8:18AM
Is there really a way to stop irresponsible teens? There sure is, it called PARENTING!
As a 48 year old father of two young adults; a daughter of 24 and a son of 21. At no time did our children EVER own cell phones. No one has ever been to successfully give me a reason as to WHY a child who is still in school (Outside of College) needs a cell phone! The Cell Phone is the most powerful communication device ever created by man. So what do we Americans do, give it to a child of course.
This one device is the focal point of about 80 percent of the problems our society is having with youth. They have far too much freedom.
I am sorry; I just don't understand a parent not having control of THEIR children. Today's kids have far too much, at too young an age. So by the time they are in High School they are bored to death. These kids that commit these utterly stupid acts deserve exactly what get, ultimately death. Yet here is the real ZINGER in these situations, some equally stupid girl actually gets involved with them. Thus girl today who got involved wig this idiot who drunks gasoline and has a child, and NOW she's worked about their daughter being fatherless? How about she should not have gotten pregnant by a cook in the first place. Our society’s addiction to selfishness is at epidemic levels. Ok, so he has a mental disorder, and you mean to tell me this girl thought nothing of these guys’ unusual impulses until they had a kid? Where is this mother's responsibility in all this? Why do these women get to choose these bozos, and then drag them in front of America when they can't change them?

Replied By: frggyluv18 on Oct 15, 2010, 7:43AM
I grew up up in the "original rave days".  I was out partying till 6 am or later with the best of them.  In fact, I raved sporradically up until a year ago.  My fiance was a raver too.  He ended up in prison for 6 1/2 years.  I ended up losing half my vocabulary and my chance to go to College. 
Drugs are EVERYWHERE at these things.  In fact, my fiance and I attempted to go to a few over the past couple years truly just for the music and left because everyone was so wasted that it wasn't even fun.
These kids are fooling themselves if they think that these parties are just a way to pass the time.  The parties come with drugs and drugs come with consequences... big ones.  Luckilly I am now a small business owner, but my fiance still can't find a steady, well paying job because of his background.  This is all because we felt the need to party.  These parties should at the least be 21 and up.  The kids attending them are too young to understand the lifelong consequences that come along with the decisions they make at 4 in the morning.

Replied By: nesse1225 on Oct 15, 2010, 7:38AM
Dr. Phil one of my close friends smoked this stuff. I'm telling you it changes the person. I have a picture of a door that they punched a hole through. And I'm talking about 6 times bunching it and he wouldn't stop. It scared him so bad that he went to the trash and throw all of it away! I'm so proud of him for doing that. Doc. Phil ! Thanks for doing this show people need to know about this spice. 

Replied By: youdont on Oct 15, 2010, 7:32AM
What I don't get is why would we allow a man made chemical to be legal but yet a natural drug that is used for medical reasons be illegal? I have been smoking pot for almost a decade now and I am a normal productive person. I have never been in any trouble and have no worries because you can not die from weed. We need to legalize pot and make this spice crap illegal. We are going to continue to have these types of weed subs till it becomes legal. There is saliva and now this spice stuff then whats next?

Replied By: kjnorri1958 on Oct 15, 2010, 6:36AM
This substance was to be taken off of the market. But i know of places that are still selling it. And no one saying a word. I have been through things like this before. My first 3 children are grown and have children of their own now. I still have a 10 year old at home. So i will go through it again. I know that i will do everything in my power to make sure this issue of still selling this item is addressed. Kids grow up and mature so very fast. My 13 year old grand daughter acts as if she is 18. So of the words that come out of her mouth are unreal. But then again i blame her parents. The Dad lets her run free on the week ends with out suppervision thinking this will keep her happy. I keep telling her she is going to get her self into trouble. I know that when she is with us she tow's the line. I am a very firm believer of doing what it takes to get through to them. When they stopped spanking the child and put them in time out, come on i bet the people that wrote this dosen't even have children. Don't make it easy for them. Do what ever you have to do and if they say they hate you as i have been told by my oldest 2 daughter i just smiled and said that's  ok I love you and you will get over it. I have had doors slamed in my face a few choice words said to me but i stuck to my guns I always told my girls that some day they would reap what they sow'd. Well guess what they are and are now asking me for help. I didn't want to tell them i told you so but i did now you need to figure it out think about the things i made you do when you were growing up. Like i said when i have my grand kids at my house they don't act as they do for their parents. I don't beat or stick them in the closet or anything like that but i do what is ness. to make my point. I am a very head strong person and don't back down. My daughter at home now. She goes no where unattended. She will not date until she is sixteen. These parents that let their children date a 12-13-14 what is wrong with you.  You don't have to be a monster about it just show athority. I'm not saying that when they get a little older they wont try and pull something over your head just be one step ahead of them.

Replied By: a_mayost on Oct 14, 2010, 9:48AM
These aren't exactly new trends. Raves and body art have been around since I was a kid.

Replied By: gramsthoughts on Oct 10, 2010, 12:25PM
Several local communities in Utah have already banned the sale. We have found it available at convenience stores right next to elementary schools.  Maybe we should pass laws saying what is okay to buy - the list would certainly be shorter.  LOL  Seriously this is not a laughing matter, some of the children have been severely affected.  I fear for my grandchildrens future these days.  I do have a lot of pride in my older ones, 17, 15, 14. They have listened well to my teachings.  I not only got to stay home to raise my children but was priviledged to be a major part of these three growing up.  I think parents need to be more in tune with what the community is offering out there and be more active in the education of the children. 

Replied By: marianparoo on Oct 10, 2010, 1:26AM
Is this anything new? I remember this from the 60s. Catnip, oregano, even the insides of banana peels!

Raves -- Do you mean the flashing lights causing brain trauma on people with pre-existing conditions? If so, why not a warning sign to let people choose.

It's one thing for the FCC to ban that kind of flash on TV, that can hit you unprepared, but if you know it's there, as in a disco, then it is your responsibility to avoid it.

Replied By: hpmx59 on Oct 9, 2010, 5:34PM
Doctor Gen  Phil/Robin Trend Why? I donot know at all. Beside it does not work at all. Okay maybe it do-
es or maybe it doesnot work after all. See you on 10/15/10. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------

Showing 111-119 of total 119 Comments