2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/15/10) Parents: Could your child be participating in a scary new fad? Learn the top three questions you should ask your teen. Spice may sound like a common household ingredient, but it’s a slang term for synthetic marijuana. Chris, 20, and his 17-year-old brother, Tyler, say they smoke spice because it’s a legal alternative to pot, and it makes them feel relaxed. Their mother, Billie, says her sons become verbally abusive and destructive when smoking, and she worries that the drug may be affecting their health. Dr. Daniel Amen, a neuropsychiatrist, reveals the hidden dangers of spice. Then, rave parties attract thousands of teens, but could these electronic music and light shows be deadly? Dr. Phil talks to Gracie, the mother of 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez, who died after attending the Electric Daisy Carnival. Should raves be banned? Nick, a self-described raver, speaks up. Plus, learn about a risky new trend that takes body art to a whole new level.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: tinkybell269 on Dec 31, 2010, 8:10AM
My 17 year old son does this stuff everyday and I do not know how to stop it. His attitude has changed so much and  its just a fight everyday with him. I have told him abou the dangers of this crap and his reply is I'm not doing so get off my back. He never use to be this way with me. What am I suppose to do? Can someone please help me out...

Replied By: iamanjmomof4 on Dec 31, 2010, 7:35AM
My son has told me that he and his friends go to hookah bars in NJ. He explained that they're inhaling flavored vapors. Is this the same spice that was talked about on this show?

Replied By: kathy676 on Dec 31, 2010, 7:28AM
I asked my 14 year-old daughter the questions Dr. Phil posted... "Are you taking any legal or illegal drugs?" and she replied "No"... so I asked her the follow up question "Why not?" and her answer was perfect... "Because I don't need to!" I was expecting something along the lines of... because it's wrong... or because it's illegal... or because I'd get mad at her. Instead... she gave me the answer that makes me as absolutely proud of my daughter as I can be... She doesn't do drugs because she doesn't NEED to do drugs. I love it!

Replied By: lisag4570 on Dec 31, 2010, 7:24AM
My twin 17 year old boys are smoking spice and it is ruining their lives. Their personalities have changed dramatically. One is now suffering from depression and the other is always angry. our house in in turmoil all the time. We walk around on egg shells just waiting for the next, irrational blow up from either of them. It's a very dangerous substance. They believe because they can buy it at 7-11 that is must be ok.

Replied By: hpmx59 on Dec 25, 2010, 6:11PM
Doctor Gen Phil/Robin Trend Why? That is a good question and I donot know why.See you on 12/31/10.- Happy New Year Doctor Phil/Robin. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------

Replied By: taceymom on Oct 21, 2010, 6:05PM - In reply to darraine
I get what you are saying but from what I and dr. Phil gathered these parents were very plugged in. She was told NO she could not go by them and she pulled a normal teenage stunt and lied about where she was. Could have been any parent in America. I was a good kid..got good grades, turned out pretty well but I myself did the whole "Im staying at annies house tonight..." and really was with my boyfriend. I even called from her land line first so there number would show up on caller ID. ID should have been checked at the rave...

Replied By: wakeupearth on Oct 21, 2010, 12:03PM - In reply to jgrady
Where did you got your misinformed conclusions or assumptions that I was a swinger?  My husband hid his rave lifestyle from me, he attended raves in his 30's  I didn't.  I found out all his hidden lies and drug use, and his/not mine,  promiscous sexual lifestyle with women and men.  It started with the music, he also supposedly was attending it for the music and to listen to the DJ's.  You might be one of the few percent of people involved in it for the music only.  This percentage is very small, most that are not users are the smart promoters and media marketers profiting from these events and making money off of addiction.   Oh, and if you are thinking I have no clue about what really goes on at raves because I haven't attendend one, you are incorrect once again.  I attended raves when I was 21.  I know what goes on and  am familiar with the lifestyle and culture.  The fact that you say you don't do drugs, isn't the point, the fact that drug use goes on and you turn a blind eye and think "who gives a shit, I don't do drugs", is.  You still condone drug use by accepting and attending raves. This is the true ignorance.  Grow up and wake up and make a difference on this planet, you are in your 30's and probably have a beautiful family, isn't it time to grow up?

Replied By: interccessor on Oct 20, 2010, 9:38AM
Thank you Dr. Phil for bringing this subject to light. Doctors and Police are not even aware.
My daughter was picked up @ 4 in the morning strung out on this stuff last week. She was sent to the emergency ward because of her vitals. She is 17. She was out of it for almost 2 days. She didn't know where she was and was having hallucinations. The Doctors were not much help. They said there was no sign of drugs. I told them about K2 and they acted like I was delusional. They won't help because they say it's not addictive.  I quess as long as she keeps going to the hospital they get money. I had to explain to an officer as well what this stuff is. He was compassionate but also said there is not much they could do. He asked if we go to church, second officer to ask that question. Thank God we do and a lot of people are praying for her. Thanks again Doctor Phil. Please keep this subject alive.

Replied By: kjnorri1958 on Oct 19, 2010, 8:42AM - In reply to et_fly
After my 3 older children became of age on at 17 i asked her to leave. She would sneak out of her window at night skip school and got pregnant at 16 but miss carried. She moved in with her grandmother who at that time was diagnosised with cancer. My daughter was suppost to help her but instead had parties that lasted all hours of the night. So she was asked to leave there. I told her to come home because her grandmother could not make her stop. So she did. The ground rules were set. She was told if they were broken she had to get out and stay. Things became much better she got a job. I made her earn her own money  pay her own insurance on her car her own gas and any other money she wanted and needed. I was done. My second daughter moved out at 18 went from place to place never staying very long. with the guys she was with. Finally she got pregnant. She came home the last part of her pregnancy. After the baby was born she did not want her. So we adopted her. She was beautiful. My daughter moved out and moved away. I love all of my children but i can not deal with the not takeing responsabilties for their actions. I am glad she gave us the baby she is the light of my eye and has been since the first time i ever saw her come into this world. She has been through alot of illness all of her life. God had a plan for her and i truely believe that is why she came to be. She is 10 now but still has the innocence of an 8 year old. She is secure and knows she is loved. Not that my others wernt. I just grew up with the first 3 I was 18 when my first was born and only 21 after the 3rd on was born. So i had to learn on my own. You learn quick. I have had my battles with my girls and now they are haveing battles with their girls my oldest asked me mom how did you ever live through us the way we treated you. My response With love and the grace of God. Now they see. So it's not easy letting go but some times you have to show tough love.

Good for you things will get easier.

Replied By: eckim76 on Oct 18, 2010, 2:24PM
Dr. Phil, I too was just informed about this dangerous drug "spice". My 9 yr old child could go into any gas station to purchase the legal drug and then have dangerous side effects. So, I took it upon myself to send out flyers to EVERY person in my community warning them about the effects of this drug and that we as parents need to educate ourselves.  I am also encouraging our community members to send a letter to thier local and state elected officials and ask to have this drug outlawed in Nevada,  I realize that  just like any other drug, people will find a way to get this drug, but why make it so easy.  Parents need to wake up and realize that our next generation of citizens are going to be burned out on drugs like this if we continue to act like things are ok.  We must make this world a better place for our kids to live in and we can only do that if we get involved in thier lives and the new "trends".  God Bless you Dr. Phil for having this very important show.

Showing 11-20 of total 119 Comments