Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 09/22/10) Seven years ago, 21-year-old Brandon was addicted to drugs, and his parents feared he’d die at any time. Dr. Phil and Brandon’s family performed one of the first interventions on national television. Now Brandon and his mother, Debbie, are using their experiences to help other families deal with addiction and recovery. Barbara and Kevin are divorced parents united in a search for help with their son, Nick, 23, who’s addicted to heroin and alcohol. Barbara is in recovery herself, currently sober seven years, and feels guilty for all the years Nick was exposed to her drinking. Kevin, who moved away and started a new family when Nick was young, wants to rebuild a relationship with his son, but worries about the toxic nature of his relationship with his ex-wife. Don’t miss an emotional family reunion to get one young man the life-saving help he deserves.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kbatches on Dec 29, 2010, 6:56PM
I have an 18 year old son who lives with us (his parents) in Michigan were it is now legal to possess and grow marijuana with a medical marijuana card, which is quite easy to buy from many so called medical doctors. What can I do about this? He is high every day and has talked about start ing a business of being a caregiver and selling his weed to patients.  He is VERY depressed without many "good" friends, and spends quite a bit of time drinking alone in his room. He also totalled our car this summer in a DUI and is on probabtion with a violation already until May 2011. Help what do we do? He is so depressed and has chosen to self-medicate due to the fact that it is legal? I understand this is a gateway drug, but he is out of control....

Replied By: kdewease on Dec 28, 2010, 7:03PM
My Husband is a recovering heroin addict. He continued for many years, with many relapses. We finally found that his Mother, who is an alcoholic was too toxic for his sobriety. We have since discontinued all contact with her and have successfully been able to continue through life in a sober and hope filled environment.

The environment the addict returns to after going through rehabilitation is just as important as the rehabilitation. Thank you Dr. Phil for reminding us that we made the right to decision to remove ourselves from all toxic environments.

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on Dec 28, 2010, 5:03PM
Watching the repeat of this episode, reminded me to sign back on here and do a little outreach to those who find themselves relating to the pain and chaos that is so prevalent in this episode.

I hope you will join me in the life saving and sanity saving program that has helped me change my own life. Nar-Anon Family Groups is a 12-Step support group for the friends and families of addicts (currently using or not).  Wanting our beloved addicts to get into recovery and change their lives is not enough, we need to do some changing too................we, who love them have taken on roles in the drama too.
Nar-Anon: www.nar-anon.org Nar-Anon Family Forum: http://www.naranon.com/forum/

Replied By: skbruning on Dec 28, 2010, 3:57PM
While Dr. Phil finally got around to gently taking Kevin to task it was way too late for my blood.  I was already hollering inside, "Why didn't you brutally ask him 'Where the HELL were you all that boy's life????"

Kevin got off EASY.

"He needs his father in his life".....Kevin needs Dr. Phil to tell him that???????????????

Really?

Really??

Is it in the water?  The DNA?  Good 'Ol Boy's Club??  What?

Kevin flat out abandoned his son.  So don't pile up on a woman who was already fearing she hadn't done enough.  Who was already wracked with guilt pain.  Pangs of guilt are what made her put a roof over his head, clean up his mess, pay off his debts, try to do what she could do, etc, ad nauseum.

God never meant for us to look out on an ocean of single mothers.  We do so because men have so utterly and completely failed us all.

So start with the men, Dr. Phil and take off the velvet gloves, please.

Here's another little Dr. Phil type ditty for ya:  "Where the head goes the body follows.  Ever jump inna pool and not have yer body follow?  No, never did, did ya?  Where the head goes the body follows....so men, saddle up, suit up, grow UP!"

Replied By: kplace08 on Dec 28, 2010, 3:02PM
I am a drug addict. My favorite drug was methamphetamine and alcohol. I am writing to tell you that there is hope. I was addicted since i was eleven and quit at the age of 29 years old. I have been clean and sober for six years. My family supports me and is back together. I am also diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I take medication and seek counseling. I maintain my sobriety by going to Al-Anon, Alcoholics Annonymous, and Narcotics Annonymous. There is hope and a new way of life after drugs. Keep coming back and keep trying to quit.

Replied By: chris_blackwel on Dec 28, 2010, 2:28PM
hello i feel the young man that's was having the intervention i'm a heroin addict myself that been clean for almost two years. i'm in a relationship with a man that is a heroin addict also we been together 15 years now in ourrelationship has been crazy we get everything together as long as we got to high. my boyfriend is in rehab right now for 6 months his parents is so clueless to him addiction. they enables him with giving him everything he wants. i try to educate them but it's hard because they just want to keep him happy. i don't know where our relationship is going to go because wewasn't together sober so we don't really know the sober part of him . we made so many broken promise to each other by saying we going to get clean and stay clean. don't get me wrong i love my boyfriend to death but if he not ready to change then we going to have to break up because i'm noot falling short this. for the guy kicking heroin is hard but they strong. when you want to leave because you think it's a waste of time just think about when you was out there chasing. think about the morning you woke up sick and wanting to die just give yourself a chance it will get better

Replied By: powerup on Dec 28, 2010, 2:28PM
I was watching your show about the girl who's family held an intervention with that guy who was a drug user himself..While watching the show I saw that she tried to leave, said no (more then three time's) and told all of them she did not want to be there..EVERYTIME SHE TRIED TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE THEY PUSHED HER DOWN ,HELD HER DOWN AGAINST HER WILL...Then when the cop's got there and she was able to get out of the house the cop's arrest her!!!! what the hell!!!! Why did thay not arrest the ex drug user and his mother and anyone else that was involved for FALSE IMPRISONMENT,KIDNAPPING,DOMESTIC VOLANCE AND BATTERY???I did not see them in the back of a cop car..If it was me once I tried to leave and anyone put there hand's on me they would have gottin there arm broke..family or not it's no one business what other people do if they want be stupid and kill themself's fine that mean's more air for me...and those so called intervention's is just another way to make people do what everyone else want's them to do.. I Personally  think victim's of these so called intervention's should be able to press charge's on those who hold and inable them to go on....

Replied By: yakkity on Dec 28, 2010, 1:54PM - In reply to jajwpm
I am sorry , while i did not lose a child my sister did just on november 5 2010, and it's heartbreaking to see how her life has turned to what if's and maybe's... My nephew will be forever 19.....

Replied By: yakkity on Dec 28, 2010, 1:43PM

I didn't know my nephew was addicted to heroin until the morning of November 5 2010.The morning he died. I live in WI and my nephew and his mom live in TX....My sisters and I left immediately to support our beloved sister in her time of anguish and pain. It was heart wrenching to watch his mother, my sister cry in pain, constantly asking, why lord, why. We all tried to comfort her and to help her thru the fact that she lost not only her only son, but her only child.

You see he had been an addict for a few years, and had been in and out of rehab, had been sent away for three months to a camp in the mountains all to no avail. He was scheduled to re-enter rehab on Tuesday 9th,2010 and wanted one last high, one last run with his friends, one more time, which unforunately was his last...

. If this story can save one life, motivate one family member to seek out the help and not enable their child, their family member, their husband, their wife, any member of the family, than he did not die invane.... You see Stephen Joel was only 19, see his face, and i can show you the heartache he left behind, my sister is train wreck and is blaming herself, how do you comfort this loss? If anyone knows or can help us to help my sister, my friend, the mother who has lost her child. please feel free to respond...
God Bless you SJ, till we see you again, always in our hearts and in our souls...

Replied By: jajwpm on Dec 28, 2010, 1:37PM
I was watching the show today and was compelled to change the channel. I hope this family has the courage to follow through with whatever it takes to keep there son alive and away from drugs. By the time we realized the problem was as bad as it was....my son was gone. He will forever be 24. I wish I could go back in time and do it all again. Things might be different today. My life will never be the same again.

Showing 1-10 of total 93 Comments