Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/24/08) Ladies, what would you do if you had to return to the dating game in your 40s, 50s or even 60s? Dr. Phil’s guests point to a double standard between men and women. Men can date women young enough to be their daughters, while a middle-aged woman who dates younger men is sure to face criticism. Caroline is a 58-year-old grandmother who has been married three times and is still looking for her Prince Charming. She admits to traveling from Monaco to Amsterdam and throughout the States in search of love, often with younger men. Caroline says she even accepted a proposal from a man she met online -- a suitor she has never met in person! Her daughter, Anara, says the problem is not her mother’s age, but that her mom doesn’t act her age. Is Caroline just living life without limits, or is she her own worst enemy when it comes to meeting Mr. Right? Then, Dr. Phil talks to Patti Stanger, CEO of The Millionaire’s Club, an exclusive dating service that caters to wealthy men and women who are looking for love. Find out why Patti says Caroline is heading toward a life of loneliness, and learn her dating tips to increase your chances of finding a mate. And, Anna is only 30, but she says some men already think she’s too old to date! Her friend, Robyn, says Anna's independence turns some men off. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil cameras follow Anna for a night on the town. Plus, meet a divorced mom who says she’s been on the dating scene for 15 years and has yet to find a man her age who wants to commit.. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: poikilotherm on Nov 4, 2011, 11:45PM
There comes a point with age where many single people need to seriously evaluate and consider just how marketable they are.

Does this Caroline woman think dating some two thousand men amounts to some kind of credentials or résumé to be proud of? 

The photo with Prince Albert of Monaco was more likely him paying a courtesy snap to an annoying tourist.

She gets on the internet dating sites lies about her age and expects the dates she links up with to be honest about themselves.

What is it with these women (or any men for that matter) that think after having been married with kids once or multiple times that Prince Charming is out there just waiting to full fill their fantasy.

Do they really think it’s going to be Romeo and Juliette?

The millionaire matchmaker put up the older woman younger man poster couple of Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher as an example of how it can work.

Actually at the time of writing this I believe the coupling has recently gone sour as he had sex with a 26 year old on his own wedding anniversary.

So if it can happen to Demi Moore who still looks young and hot) I guess there ain’t no hope for poor old Caroline

Up to five years older maximum for a woman if it’s going to have any chance. Beyond that you need to hold your age and looks like Raquel Welsh girls.

Replied By: scoongini on Jan 22, 2011, 7:53PM
I am sickened by how many women are 'afraid to end up 40 or 50 and alone' as some have commented on this episode. So what? Do we really think we have to be with someone to fulfill our lives? I have been divorced 25 yrs and have had a few long term relationships that were never meant to end up in permanence.  I am not interested in finding anyone with a 'half full' glass but a full one.  I have everything I need and would love to find someone who inspires me and doesn't need anything but instead wants .... 

These poor women who think being 55 and alone is sad are pathetic indicators of the beauty of the females out there who are self sufficient and mentally stable and enjoy everything about where they are in their lives. 

Replied By: justathought2 on Jan 22, 2011, 12:30AM
I just saw this show this evening, Jan 21, 2011, and Caroline needs to stop looking for her good outside of herself. She needs to figure out who she is without a man first, and then she will attract the right person for her. But what she has been doing is running all over the globe looking for a man to complete her, and it is the impossible.  She has an empty hole inside of her that only she can fill.  Stop dating and fall in love with yourself, Caroline.  The desperation that you are beaming out as you hunt for a man is really the desperation that comes from not feeling hole and complete on the inside. 

Replied By: slcLauren on Jun 6, 2010, 11:52PM
How do ugly people date much less find love?

Replied By: mauvegirl on May 22, 2009, 8:50AM - In reply to karyncarl5984
I guess that men should also dumb down on a date too.(Just kidding)

No way will I, especially since it will only inflate his ego more. Why on earth should a woman on date make herself smaller so a man can feel bigger?

A few men I have dated needed a bit of ego deflating from themselves(its not for me to do).
I just don't date men who have inflated egos.

I neither bring myself down to make  them feel better, nor do I try to act like I am competitive, even in the past when I was an owner.

Its really a power issue and it is a waste of time. If someone really had power he/she wouldn't have to act that way.

I would much rather learn what make him happy, feel comfortable than to act as if I can inflate his ego.
It's called getting to know someone.mauvegirl.

Replied By: mauvegirl on May 22, 2009, 8:27AM - In reply to chevy020
Ok,
It means, Tell me a bit about what you love, to do, how you relate, or think, what you feel about things, topics or yourself in your life.

If someone asks me what I do(at work etc) I tell them but more importantly it is about who you are or what you are trying to achieve in your life. Who are you, what do you want to be as an ideal person.Mauvegirl.

Replied By: chevy020 on Jan 29, 2009, 1:54PM
My question with guest shange the comedein. What does he mean exactly when he asks a women the question "tell me about you" when they respond with what they do for a living and what their hobbies and interests are he says "I didn't ask you about that I said "tell me about you" The reason I ask is the look on Dr. Phil's face when shange was done, I feel I am not the only one who did not understand what he meant. Also I think he stole this from a movie with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler.

Replied By: pgapro on Jan 28, 2009, 11:51PM
Dr. Phil;

You are a Saint, and I am applying to the Pope for you directly.  I can honetly say I have seen some miracles on you show, and more than enough to qualify.

With reference to Double Standards.
Are we having another one of those battle of the sexes things again?
My apologies in advance here for being so long winded.  But I could really go on at length on this subject of double standards.  And I am guessing that it might be a book that would end up dwarfing war and peace, lol.

Anna, kudos to you, I glad you are a successful woman, most of all your a lady about it.  You are beautiful and elegant and I feel your pain.  It would be a joy to know you.  The man who does get the opportunity of being your mate for life, will have been given a great honor.  He will be a very lucky man.  and if he misbehaves, gimme a call, and we can find a field so he and I can go have a talk.
Justice was given in a back forty field (mostly full of corn) in my era, ask Dr. Phil abut this one.

I won't go into religion here, and while I will touch on a serious subject, I say most of the below with an all but mild humorous tongue in cheek attitude, but I will note, and stand firm on this one albeit two part question.  " Who bit the apple first, and second, who did she point a finger at as the guilty party "  Grin

First here's my main rant. From a man's perspective, the female ( I use that term loosely ) from the Millioniares Club shot herself in the foot and verified, what a majority of men, both feel and view, when it comes to women.  We are very subtley, given the appearance, that it's all about the MONEY.  "Qualify your buyer", oh please.  Why not put a sign on yourself saying I am all about your cash.  To coin Dr. Phil here, What are you thinking?  We all saw the look on his face with that statement, and I am sure most could read his thoughts right then.  At least you were honest about it, I do give you credit there.

I have said this for for a long time now.  When it comes to relationships.
Women for the most part, as I have experienced, get married for two reasons  Security and Love
Men on the other hand get married for Love and Sex.  Though not necessarily in those exact orders.  I have yet to hear any man say to me, "I am getting married to her because I am sure she will be a great mother and provider for our children."  Everyman I have ever asked put love first and everything else second.  Yet I have heard women say that they were getting married, because they felt he is and will be a great provider, and they are secure with that.  And then they say and I love him too.

I heard this question asked of a future groom and bride (no not me, but it did make me think), and only one time...I never forgot it.  That question is "If after you are married, and the two of you are out one night, and you get presented with a life threatening situation, to where one of the two of you were certain to die, who would it be that would live?  Would you die for her?  Would she die for you? Every man I have ever asked said yes, and without hesitation.  But not every woman offered that same opinion.

In a lifetime commitment, your are marrying and choosing to spend the rest of your life with that person.  Everything else and I mean everything else, should become secondary to your marriage and relationship with that person.  For if it is not going to be that way, then why would you ever consider wanting, to spend the rest of your life with that person.  If you think I am joking hear, how many of your really truest friends would give their life in order to save yours.  I say friends as your mate is supposed to be your best friend first.  Then look at which family members would do that as well.  Then ask yourself the question of, who would you do that for.  Sorry for the fatalistic attitude here, not meant to bring anyone down.  But in reality, have you ever asked these questions?

Don't get me wrong here, I Love women.  And I am definitely a heterosexual man.  But where do you think we learned the double standard routine?  To coin a phrase, Women change their minds why, because they can", and this one is even better, " It's a woman's perogative to change their mind".  Now seriously, how fair is that?  Why should you be able to and we cannot?

Now everyone laugh and go get along.

Replied By: wilitevend on Jan 28, 2009, 10:55PM
"Dating Double Standards" January 20, 2009 show DID NOT SHOW because of President Barack Obama Inaugural Day.  I am single in my 30s.  Of course I wanna see what Dr. Phil had in store for women like me.  PLEASE REPLAY THAT EPISODE SOON!!!

LONELY IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Replied By: tim12960 on Jan 28, 2009, 6:57PM
Hi Anna, my name is Tim. Contact me! Would love to speak with you!

Showing 1-10 of total 137 Comments